Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually these videos come from Thailand, China, India, etc ... but it's from CT, USA this time. Scooter pilot with no helmet blows stop sign and t-bones a car at perhaps 30-35 mph, somersaults 1.25 times, and kisses the asphalt with his noggin first. Not gory but rather heavy. Wear your helmet, and don't run stops signs.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=186_1467044210

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't think he was necessarily stupid but probably inattentive. It doesn't appear that he even attempted to stop which led me to believe his mind was somewhere else.
I know I've been guilty of it before when I ran stop signs w/o even realizing I did!

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I don't think he was necessarily stupid but probably inattentive.
CT has a helmet law. If he's going to ignore the law and ride anyway, he should at least ride with a higher level of attention and stop at stop signs. He may have been a scholar when on two feet but on two wheels... let's just agree that better decision could have been made.

Bad things can happen to the best of us. We should at least try to keep the odds in our favor.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Man, I can't watch. I'm from NY and live in NY, but spent 8 years away from NY in other states like CO, which was a "No Helmet" or "Helmet Optional" state while I was there. I feel naked without a helmet. Besides, I can't stand the high air flow around the mouth and nose, and bugs hitting you, among other things.

I've shared this story before, but will share it again - eff it. A month before I was to ship out in basic, when I was a young whipper snapper, actually 2 days before Thanksgiving, I got into a crash on my Honda Interceptor. Totally classic crash scenario for a motorcycle. I am cruising along, and a van coming in opposite direction misjudges my distance/speed, makes a left hand turn in my path, and the freezes. I have oncoming traffic to my left, and parked cars to my right in my single lane. Instead of hitting it broadside, I drop the bike and slide on the pavement with my bike. My bike and I hit the van, and are slingshotted upward (think we hit the wheel + hub). The bike and I are thrown up against the van, which snaps my right collarbone, and the rebound force throws us back toward the ground where I extend my left arm and shatter my wrist. My whole body was traumatized and sore for over a week. This is 20 years ago. Back then, they didn't put collarbones in anything other than an arm sling. I got 5 pins in my left wrist and several operations. Shipped out 5 months later. Anyway, point is, my helmet had scrapes & dings. I slammed my head against the van, and when I hit the ground again. There was no armor back then either. Without the helmet I shudder to think of the injury. Helmets look sick now. Who cares is they mess up your hair, they're no longer birth control helmets. To each his own, but man, WEAR A HELMET.

There's a saying you probably heard "There are those who will crash and have crashed." Well, don't let it be a self-fulfilling prophecy but be prepared. Again,wear your helmet and protective equipment always. It might just be me, but I swear people are shittier drivers nowadays. The most common type of crappy driver I come across is the "Skittish slow driver." They think they're being safe by driving slow, but they hesitate and do things like merge onto highway at 20mph and clog up on ramp, and stupid crap like that. I see people on the phone and texting all the time. Watch out for those idiots and try to anticipate several seconds ahead. You can see a lot of dumb moves ahead of time if you're watching and paying attention to cues. It's a **** shame. People forget they're basically in a 4000 lb weapon and have other people's lives to consider. I think licensing should be tiered, driver training & testing should be more intense and rigorous, and should be retested intermittently.

Remember to do your ride prechecks, and go over all your riding "rules" while riding like "Don't panic," "Don't panic slam on rear brake," "Watch out for sand, potholes, and other obstacles," and other stuff. What car drivers don't know is as motorcycle riders, we get conditioned to "Get locked in." We aren't spacing out or texting while riding-we are usually focused 100% on the task at hand. If I had my druthers, all automatic transmissions would be illegal, and people would be forced to learn and drive manual-that way driver would be more engaged and preoccupied by default. One can dream. :)

If you can, post the "Watch for Motorcycles"" sticker on your car. I know, stickers all over a car suck, but if you can plant that idea in one ignorant drivers head, you've improved the world a little especially for riders. Two, be a motorcycle rider ambassador. Explain the situation to people you know and alert oblivious drivers. I've flagged down drivers and been like "Dude, you almost hit me. Watch out," and things to that effect. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Bike and car collide on 50' elevated freeway exchange, rider goes over edge
This happened to a rider right outside my office a few years back. The exit ramp into our office park... he took it too fast and ended up going over the edge
The fall didn't kill him but oncoming traffic on the interstate below him did. Several drivers called the police to report trash in the road... they thought he was just a big trash bag that fell out of someone's vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have something like a conditional fear of heights, so I basically don't glance directly at the guard rails while on the bike, quick way to target fixate haha. Doesn't bother me in the car though ... it's height + safety factor. For instance, that glass slide on the 70th floor, no problem it's safe, in fact I'd like to do that. Short balcony rail on 2nd / 3rd floor, anxiety rush ... but if you told me I had to swing over that balcony to save a baby on a ledge, no problem ... it's weird like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts