Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess I can't escape the crowd of having accident within 90days of owning a first bike. But I'm fine with just minor straining of my shoulder/wrist/calf/thigh a little bit. My hat off to Taichi saved my ass. My pants had very minor scuff and the jacket got a little more here and there, but NOT a single cut landed on my body
I was entering highway and it was dark, I guess I was riding along the broken merging pavement. I was entering the 5th gear so probably somewhere 40-50mph. Front started wobble and I started falling and sliding already. All happened very fast and next thing I knew I was already sliding.

The bike did get quite a bit damage but I still managed to ride home after the tow truck helped me raise the clutch to appropriate level. After riding at 65-70 for 30miles the bike still going strong. I do notice quite a little wobble as the pavement goes uneven or I'm just being extremely sensitive on my way back. I will bring it to a shop for a check regardless but here's my preliminary diagnosis

Most of the stuff I could account for replacing are
1clutch lever
2right mirror(with handle whole thing) is gone
3front cowl
4left fairing
5left signal light/light cover
6bar end
7kick stand I plan on just leaving it alone
8by the rear seat is usually covered by my tail bag, I don't even see the point of relacing that hard to do part.... Most are minor that I know I can fix by ordering replacement.

High beam light fell out of the socket and it seem broken in between that probably need professional repair. Left spool took a lot of damage and bent out, I wonder what can be done about it except replace the whole frame by the area?

Now my question comes to.... is it worth it to claim the insurance for the accident?
The insurance does come with the gear coverage and my gloves def need to be replaced. Should I get a new jacket with the minor rip between leather/fabric(regardless if I'm getting through my insurance or not).

With my insurance I think there's $250 deductible with future increase of my premium(new rider 30y/o). I do have a car under a different policy as well and with good driver discount. Is it worthwhile to claim through the insurance for most of the damage? Would it affect my car insurance(two different companies). Those fairings/mirror I will take an afternoon to DIY replacement which is totally ok

But yea even the ambulance paramedics and my gf said the gear saved myself from tens of thousand dollars of hospital bills. ATGATT for rest of my life

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
more pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
ouch!! sorry to hear that

·
Registered
856 Posts
In Australia with repairers having to use Genuine parts, only from the official supplier (No they cant just get on partzilla etc and pay 10-30% of what the same parts costs here )
That bike would easily be economic write off status.
With engine case damage and the swingarm marks, the assessor wouldn't think twice.
And the rider would have gear covered with the insurance.

I wouldn't hesitate to burn the excess for a brand new bike and gear and
couldn't live with a partial repair on a brand new bike.

·
Registered
313 Posts
it looks like just scratches, if you can bend back the spool it would be good, otherwise i'd say claim insurance and get a new bike, i think it is expensive to change the swingarm.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pictures and experience. Its informative to see the kind of damage we can expect in accidents.

The case is the only serious repair and just slight PITA not hard. That bike will be rolling sweet in no time.

Hope you get it all sorted out soon. Not sure I would report that to insurance. Tally up the exact repair parts first and think it over.

·
Registered
258 Posts
As much I hate to say it, it would be a **** of a fix. Still, most is cosmetical dammage. If you are handy, there is alot to fix with low costs involved. Though, I do agree with Aufitt. Damage to vital parts such as engine and swingarm can result in bended functional parts( not visible without measurements ).

Keep us updated, there are alot of forum members with leftover OEM parts after modifocations(track guys)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Glad you are ok and were geared up.

The bike pics you show are all pretty minor in my opinion. The swingarm isnt an expensive fix. I lowsided and also bent the spool mount. Mine was bent back by using a vise grip. The swingarm itself is around $300. What I have done before is really note every damaged part, find a retailer to see how much it costs, factor in hours of work needed along with the price of labor ($99/hour here in San Diego) and add that all up. If you can do repairs yourself and stay below that budget, I would do it, and pocket the extra money. If not, just pay the shop. You can find used good quality parts (I have a few for sale) and do it yourself. You arent required to pay anyone. Or f its totaled, buy it back and repair/ride it.

The fairing still looks usable. Clean it up, stick a piece of white vinyl wrap on it, and cover it with stickers. Thats how my red set looks now on the left side, though the actual bike is currently in blue fairings. The case cover was scratched on mine, I taped it off, primered and painted. I bought case cover set from T-Rex.

For me, I use my insurance company to the fullest if I ever have a claim. They make lots of money, so I dont feel bad at all using them (legally) to the fullest.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I guess I can't escape the crowd of having accident within 90days of owning a first bike. But I'm fine with just minor straining of my shoulder/wrist/calf/thigh a little bit. My hat off to Taichi saved my ass. My pants had very minor scuff and the jacket got a little more here and there, but NOT a single cut landed on my body
I was entering highway and it was dark, I guess I was riding along the broken merging pavement. I was entering the 5th gear so probably somewhere 40-50mph. Front started wobble and I started falling and sliding already. All happened very fast and next thing I knew I was already sliding.

Very sorry to see that.

We've been in similar situation.
New construction, uneven pavement, Railroad ties, bad roads....etc..
This is one of the main reasons, we won't ride without a steering damper.
Just that little extra security for those caught off guard situations.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for support. Few more days of rest I should be able to get my body back to riding condition.

With short tally on fairings I will be somewhere at $350 total(exclude swing arm assuming I can bent it back myself, some scratches in some fairing/mirror etc).
With gear loss the jacket and gloves are gone that's another $600(minor scuffs on my pants, not even a rip or anything).
I'm bringing the bike to shop evaluate any damage affecting performance/riding etc
But I'm sitting at somewhere $1000 as of right now. I may probably expect another $300-500 repair or so(labor/parts etc)
Now with $250 deductible I am somewhat lost. Couple questions I would probably like to figure out of I wanna claim or not

1.Would claiming the bike affect my good driver discount for my car insurance?(that's like $200 every 6months, every car accident I'd lose it for 3years so that's like $1200 there, pretty steep as I'm doing almost 2k/year on my car already). Raising my own motorcycle insurance won't affect much comparatively(I'm sitting at $500/year right now)
2.Would insurance cover all the gear damage or just a fraction of it? And how do they how much those cost? Do I have to show them receipt etc?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why so expensive with the fairings? Its only 3 pieces. Tail, front and LHS correct? That shouldnt cost $350. The R3 has cheap fairings. Or just reuse the LHS like I did and make it look good as new.

I dont see how your jacket is "gone", it looks very usable to me.

See if your insurer covers gear too. When I had Geico they only covered the helmet at the time but were trying to change it to include gear. That was last year, may have changed.

Geico separates their car and motorcycle insurance, so one doesnt affect the other, at least not when I had it. I switched to USAA and dont know how it works with them, so the lesson there is to call and find out from your insurer, they may be different. I didnt need to show a receipt, I just made a print out of the brand of helmet I wore at the time and the internet vendors price. It does save time though to put all high cost item receipts in a folder somewhere.

If you plan on doing it yourself, whether its out of pocket money or insurance money, and plan on buying used parts, check the for sale section here. Alot of people made their R3 race bikes and are selling parts still (my bike is not a race bike but do have parts for sale, though I have alot of things I havent listed yet, cause I am too lazy to take pics haha).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why so expensive with the fairings? Its only 3 pieces. Tail, front and LHS correct? That shouldnt cost $350. The R3 has cheap fairings. Or just reuse the LHS like I did and make it look good as new.

I dont see how your jacket is "gone", it looks very usable to me.

See if your insurer covers gear too. When I had Geico they only covered the helmet at the time but were trying to change it to include gear. That was last year, may have changed.

Geico separates their car and motorcycle insurance, so one doesnt affect the other, at least not when I had it. I switched to USAA and dont know how it works with them, so the lesson there is to call and find out from your insurer, they may be different. I didnt need to show a receipt, I just made a print out of the brand of helmet I wore at the time and the internet vendors price. It does save time though to put all high cost item receipts in a folder somewhere.

If you plan on doing it yourself, whether its out of pocket money or insurance money, and plan on buying used parts, check the for sale section here. Alot of people made their R3 race bikes and are selling parts still (my bike is not a race bike but do have parts for sale, though I have alot of things I havent listed yet, cause I am too lazy to take pics haha).
My motorcycle insurance is foremost and the car is geico. I just wonder they would report to each other for affecting my rate.

The jacket has twp rip each between the fabric and the leather on each arm. Air keep leaking in I don't know if it still does protection anymore afterwards. My bike insurance does cover upto like $2000 for gear so I am pretty sure it does more than just the helmet.

The crank case is $45. One mirror itself is $57(just buying the right, skipping scratches for left). Both levers. Front/left fairing(whooping $65 each). The front left signal flasher is actually broken so whole thing itself is like $37. Few more cover/bar end for a few more bucks here and there
From procaliber they are not that expensive(much cheaper than store price) but they do add up.

I saw yours listing having the flasher but not sure if it's front/back(or if that matters)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My motorcycle insurance is foremost and the car is geico. I just wonder they would report to each other for affecting my rate.

The jacket has twp rip each between the fabric and the leather on each arm. Air keep leaking in I don't know if it still does protection anymore afterwards. My bike insurance does cover upto like $2000 for gear so I am pretty sure it does more than just the helmet.

The crank case is $45. One mirror itself is $57(just buying the right, skipping scratches for left). Both levers. Front/left fairing(whooping $65 each). The front left signal flasher is actually broken so whole thing itself is like $37. Few more cover/bar end for a few more bucks here and there
From procaliber they are not that expensive(much cheaper than store price) but they do add up.

I saw yours listing having the flasher but not sure if it's front/back(or if that matters)
Ah I thought you meant that price JUST for the fairings.

Mirrors are expensive. I will sell you mine for cheap but I dont feel like selling only one mirror. If you buy the set, I will give the OEM signals for free lol. Lets take this to PM, as I dont want to derail the thread.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have set of front turn signal
one stock muffler Im sure you could find lots of part on here for cheap or free -shipping costs. I can't even give these away had them on eBay for really cheap like in the $15.00 range and still can't sell them.
My wife kept telling me to go check Mulholland out. So I did it was nice at first. Then bam I hit something bad tire got stuck for a second. I tripped out like what the f was that. I calmly made a left turn to check the front tire rim out. It all looked good. Was heading back toward where the problem in the road was to investigate. Just as I turn out with left turn signals on. Ferrari pulls out about a 100 yard behind me heading in the same direction. I here him hit it hard behind me. Ass. it all worked out he was turning right up ahead on Coldwater and I was turning left. That car has some serious pick up I looked in my rear view mirrors with my arms tucked in so I could see him. Made it back to the 2ft long pot whole the same width as the front tire. Back tire must have not fit in thank god. If I was driving at night It could have been way worse. I had just made a right turn and hit it so I was not going that fast. But if I was coming in straight at a higher speed things could have went very badly. Im more carful of the roads now. I looked before but now I really look.
Update: Just sold the Muffler for a whopping $20.00 on eBay just now!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
needed a right, but thanks for looking out :D

with the help of Kojiro and procaliber.com I managed to get all the parts with $600 so far and the bike shop quoted me for approx. 2-3hours of work. Including new pair of gloves I should keep the cost right under 1k. Decide not to get through the insurance. Down side is I have to share my car with my gf for next week or two. I will keep everyone posted how it goes in a few days

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have set of front turn signal
one stock muffler Im sure you could find lots of part on here for cheap or free -shipping costs. I can't even give these away had them on eBay for really cheap like in the $15.00 range and still can't sell them.
My wife kept telling me to go check Mulholland out. So I did it was nice at first. Then bam I hit something bad tire got stuck for a second. I tripped out like what the f was that. I calmly made a left turn to check the front tire rim out. It all looked good. Was heading back toward where the problem in the road was to investigate. Just as I turn out with left turn signals on. Ferrari pulls out about a 100 yard behind me heading in the same direction. I here him hit it hard behind me. Ass. it all worked out he was turning right up ahead on Coldwater and I was turning left. That car has some serious pick up I looked in my rear view mirrors with my arms tucked in so I could see him. Made it back to the 2ft long pot whole the same width as the front tire. Back tire must have not fit in thank god. If I was driving at night It could have been way worse. I had just made a right turn and hit it so I was not going that fast. But if I was coming in straight at a higher speed things could have went very badly. Im more carful of the roads now. I looked before but now I really look.
Update: Just sold the Muffler for a whopping $20.00 on eBay just now!
pothole really kills, I'm glad that I live in CA now with much less potholes except in SF. Even my car has a bent wheel that I had to switch it to spare while I was driving back in NY.

·
Registered
810 Posts
List of parts I currently have for sale in the "Parts for sale" section. Fairings are red.

Rear fender w/ signals $60 shipped
Rear passenger pegs $30 each shipped
Right rear set w/ brake lever $65 shipped (You will need your brake lever bolt)
Center seat cowling $20 shipped
Center V cowling $20 shipped
Complete right side fairing $135 shipped
Right Mirror $40 shipped
Left foot peg shift lever $20 shipped (You will need your shift lever bolt)
Master cylinder w/ lever $75 shipped
Right handlebar $50 shipped
Taillight Unit $150 shipped
Upper fairing $25 shipped
Clutch side control pod $30 shipped
Complete tank cover $60 shipped
Front signal lights $30 each shipped
Front Fender $30 shipped
Clutch perch w/ lever $35 shipped

I don't like doing the advertising like this. It just seems no one checks the classified area at all for parts for sale, lol!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts