Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love my Icon Alliance Dark for sure, but was tentatively window shopping for a more premium one. I also have an AVG K3, which is a decent head bucket too. Anyway, I looked at helmets for hours and wanted one more in line with my head shape, long oval. So I was considering an Arai Signet-X, Icon Airframe
Carbon, or a Shoei RF-SR (shipping in March) or an RF-1200 though the latter is allegedly postured to the intermediate oval head.

The RF-SR was compelling because it is their "budget" helmet at $399-Shoei quality buy at a nice price point. I don't skimp on helmets but the prices can be crazy and worrying about dropping a $800 helmet, etc is stressful. Revzilla Matt recommended Nexx helmets too. I also considered the "revolutionary" 6D and Schuberth who's fit and finish are up there with the best. In the end, I focused on my "Big 3." Icon, Arai, and Shoei.

It ended up that it was going to be a Shoei RF-SR especially since eTailers were giving $50 off on preorders, but at the last second, I clicked on the gray/fluorescent yellow RF-1200 Parameter, who's graphics I absolutely love and pulled the trigger. Arrived today! Man, it's beautiful and so light! Couldn't be happier. Since my back is messed up the light weight on my noggin helps. Though I am a long oval head the RF-1200 intermediate oval shape fits perfectly-snug but comfortably. Still a little chilly in NY but amped to try out my new bucket. Highly recommend this model.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Were you drunk when you posted? Fix your spelling! Also, picking gear or anything bike related should never be stressful. You are doing it wrong brother.

Lastly, this wouldn't be a true robot ninja post without the usual Bio of being a tank mechanic in the army. This probably isn't even the real robot ninja.

On a completely different note, I rode the Hakone turnpike on the bike for the first time. Done it plenty of times in the Fam-mobile. Awesome ride. So many sights, tons and tons of curves, and snow at the top of the mountain. Left over snow that is. Still on the side of the road. It was pretty cold. And I was riding alone. Not the best of ideas but when you wanna ride, you wanna ride.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were you drunk when you posted? Fix your spelling! Also, picking gear or anything bike related should never be stressful. You are doing it wrong brother.

Lastly, this wouldn't be a true robot ninja post without the usual Bio of being a tank mechanic in the army. This probably isn't even the real robot ninja.

On a completely different note, I rode the Hakone turnpike on the bike for the first time. Done it plenty of times in the Fam-mobile. Awesome ride. So many sights, tons and tons of curves, and snow at the top of the mountain. Left over snow that is. Still on the side of the road. It was pretty cold. And I was riding alone. Not the best of ideas but when you wanna ride, you wanna ride.
Heh, no I wasn't drunk. I was delirious though. MY "normal" day. Wake up at 5. PT for 30 mikes. Shower, change, then commute. At work by 7. Work 7-5. Commute home 5-5:30. Snack and pack. 6-7 drive or ride to school. Arrive at 7, and am in class from 7-10. Drive home from school, and arrive anywhere from 10:45-11. Sometimes I have to look for parking for 30 minutes. Eat dinner. Study until 2. Sleep 3-3.5 hours. Repeat.

Was excited about the helmet, and quickly posted but didn't review or revise it. Just did though. It was pretty egregiously repulsive as far as grammar and typos. Oh well. And I wasn't a Tank MECHANIC sucka! I was a TANK-ER. Combat Arms! Tank driver, then loader, and then gunner. Though Tankers are expected to do 10 Level maintenance on their M1A1/A2. Changing track, pulling the Lycoming AGT 1500 turbine power pack, etc.

Hakone Turpike? Not familiar with it. What are the road laws in Japan now? There are some fast thoroughfares in Japan ala Autobahn style right? I forgot if the limits were high or "suggested." Now just get a Skyline to go with your bike. You're back on an R3 right? How is Japan treating you. I finally found a decent Ramen House in Brooklyn. I can eat ramen (real ramen) and Kare Raisu (Japanese style Curry Rice); yes, that is the Romaji for you non-Japanese or Japanese knowledgeable people. Lesson two. Beer in Japanese is Biru. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Very nice helmet, I've had the Shoei RF-1200 Terminus for about a year and love it. Low noise, great fit, good ventilation in the Summer and minimal fogging in the Winter (though Winter here in Phoenix really just means the 30-40 degrees morning early mornings for a few weeks).

I miss New York, but only in the Summer!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I got an RF-1200 when they first came out. It took awhile to "break-in" but it fits me great.
It's fairly quiet with good aerodynamics. Good airflow on warm days.
If the temp drops below 60f... my a$$ isn't getting anywhere near my bike. Likewise, 90f is my cut-off.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So to any long time RF-1200 owners out there got a question. Heh, my last Shoei was an RF-1200, and IIRC it's about 12 years old now. It's dry rotting on the inside. Been meaning to toss it, but I loved that helmet.

Anyway, I have a clear lens and a silver smoke lens. Does anyone use the Pinlock Evo lens on their RF-1200?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I get good ramen almost everywhere here. Go google speed hunters hakone turnpike and watch the mini video. It's pretty good. I'm on an R25 now rather than the old R3 but it feels mostly the same. Less grunt though but overall same power at the top end. Cocos curry is pretty bomb.

I actually own a skyline, but not a GTR. I'm not a car guy. Yesterday I stopped by family mart while taking the R25 for a spin to see how the new Ohlins felt and chanced upon a random dude who wanted to make small talk with me. I thought he was a rider at first but turns out he really thought he bike was sugoi kakoi. I let him take a few pics and found out he was all into tuned cars and what not. Really cool dude.

Japan is treating me well. The military is using and abusing me out here but I'm fine with it. We settled into our new house but still have so much to do. Yard work, cleaning, moving the older one into a new school, etc. Here's what I thought would be a cool pic of Fuji-San. Turns out it wasn't as good as I wanted. Snow was on the ground when I got to the top. Oh and sorry for derailing your thread as usual lol

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks good. I like it.
Those colors... I think that would go great with the 2016 Armor Gray FZ-07 too.
Yeah, I love the colors. My Icon Alliance Dark is murdered out matte black. Even though Shoei's flagship sportbike helmet, the RF-1200 is a few years old, this is one of the new graphics models, the Parameter. It comes in white, blue, and red also. The fit and finish is ridiculous. The white, which was my second favorite is matte. This is a high gloss clear coat, and I really like the gray with the hi-viz fluorescent yellow. And totally, these colors would look amazing with the FZ-07. @AesonVirus, I don't know if you have seen the new 2017 R6 and R3 white/gray/yellow colors, which will go good with this helmet too. The R1S's gray bike and yellow rims probably match it even more so.

Since I am ex-Army (shut it @Kojiiro-it was necessary to say it here), I also have an affinity for the digital camo as an homage to the Army and military. IYDK, pilots wear graphics as a salute to ground forces. Pictures don't do it justice. It is even sicker in person. Now I am mortified about dropping it or scratching it. This is why I usually went with $200 helmets. I need to carry a helmet bag with me everywhere. Luckily when I have my Alpinestars Orbit 35 backpack, it has a helmet net holder stowed in a pocket.

Very nice helmet, I've had the Shoei RF-1200 Terminus for about a year and love it. Low noise, great fit, good ventilation in the Summer and minimal fogging in the Winter (though Winter here in Phoenix really just means the 30-40 degrees morning early mornings for a few weeks).

I miss New York, but only in the Summer!
I love the seasons really. Spring and Fall are the best. Year round riding is nice, but I think I would go apeshit in AZ weather. I love snow, skiing, etc. In those predominately "nice weather" places like Cali, Texas, etc, the inclement weather seems to be getting more severe and acute. From the drought spells, to the smog and poor air, to the torential downpours and mudslides, and hail storms and tornadoes. Give me 4 seasons. I still ride in the cold. I'm just getting older and softer, and now need heated gear!

The Terminus is a beautiful helmet. I really dig a lot of the RF-1200 graphics models. I love Arai's too, but not really fond of their graphics models. The RF-1200 Flagger, Diabolic, Valkyrie, and Brigand are all amazing. It was hard choosing, but it came down to the yellow Flagger or gray/yellow Parameter. I'll be waxing and buffing my SHoei later on today.:)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get good ramen almost everywhere here. Go google speed hunters hakone turnpike and watch the mini video. It's pretty good. I'm on an R25 now rather than the old R3 but it feels mostly the same. Less grunt though but overall same power at the top end. Cocos curry is pretty bomb.

I actually own a skyline, but not a GTR. I'm not a car guy. Yesterday I stopped by family mart while taking the R25 for a spin to see how the new Ohlins felt and chanced upon a random dude who wanted to make small talk with me. I thought he was a rider at first but turns out he really thought he bike was sugoi kakoi. I let him take a few pics and found out he was all into tuned cars and what not. Really cool dude.

Japan is treating me well. The military is using and abusing me out here but I'm fine with it. We settled into our new house but still have so much to do. Yard work, cleaning, moving the older one into a new school, etc. Here's what I thought would be a cool pic of Fuji-San. Turns out it wasn't as good as I wanted. Snow was on the ground when I got to the top. Oh and sorry for derailing your thread as usual lol
Rub it in! Some of the Koreans and Chinese here in Brooklyn open "Japanese restaurants and use Sapporo Ichiban dry ramen packets for the "fresh ramen" and throw an egg and some bok choy in it, and charge $15. You'd think that in a competitive food market like NY that prides itself on its foodies and "gastronomical IQ" that piss poor sushi and ramen places would falter, but gaijin man, sometimes they don't know any better. Some ethnic food really does need to be prepared by natives for it to be correct. A lot of Japanese food is one of them. My Mom is a purist and dislikes Japanese fusion.

Cool man, enjoy your R25. I'm sure the Japanese parts you can get here must be amazing. I order from Webike Japan all the time. I'll definitely check out those vids. I'm a car dude too. Not a muscle car gear head. I like sports compacts, super cars, Rally Cars. Love Prosches & Ferrari's to Subaru WRX STI,s GT-R's and VW Golf R's. Next car is going to be a Subaru WRX, VW Golf R, or Ford Focus RS. I like modern comforts and amenities like heated seats, mirrors and nav, and it must have stick and AWD. I can't drive automatic. I plan on adding ECU upgrades, better turbos, etc. Then I hope to add a Triumph Daytona or Scrambler or Ducati Super Sport as a sibling for my R3. :)

I don't care about derailing threads. It's all about community and discussion anyway. As long as it is good hearted banter, witty sarcasm, and good, clean fun, it doesn't matter if it strays off topic. Frankly, you've toned it down a little. You're not as much of an acerbic wise ass as much anymore. :)

Hope Japan is treating you well. It is your home now, right? I love Japan but don't know if I could live there full time. I love Germany and Holland, but would probably get home sick for all the warts the US has. The US is going backwards at the moment as you know. I think it's the last gasp of conservative baby boomers clinging on to control before GenXers, Y's and Millennials take over.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I don't think I've toned down. You either just got used to my up- front bluntness, me posting less due to being deployed all the time, or both.

$15 a bowl is ridiculous, then then again I would imagine everything in NY is super expensive. A decade+ ago Chappelle said something along the lines of $10/pack for smokes. That's insane. That was a decade or more ago.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So to any long time RF-1200 owners out there got a question. Heh, my last Shoei was an RF-1200, and IIRC it's about 12 years old now. It's dry rotting on the inside. Been meaning to toss it, but I loved that helmet.

Anyway, I have a clear lens and a silver smoke lens. Does anyone use the Pinlock Evo lens on their RF-1200?
Very nice helmet! I am picking up an RF-1200 this spring. Currently have an HJC FG-17 Valhalla and the pinlock inserts are GENIUS! I have experience zero fogging issues...even in 50f while heavily breathing. Considering your location, get pin lock inserts for both visors, you won't be disappointed. I will never purchase a helmet that doesn't include this feature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts