Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a year and a half and about 5,000 mi on the R3, I finally had a substantial incident with it. Yesterday, was headed home on the interstate after doing some volunteer work. I live in Chicago and was volunteering on the South side but live on the North side. While driving through downtown and keeping up with the flow of traffic (about 60mph) had a guy in a white Chevy work van decide he needed to lane change into me. Unfortunately there was a car in the lane to my left as well, so stomped on the brakes. I was able to scrub off some speed but not quite enough, and my front tire ended up making contact with the edge of his rear bumper. The bike ended up pulling a clean low side while I tumbled down the highway after it. When the dust settled, I picked the bike up, and rolled it across 3 lanes of completed stopped, downtown, midday traffic on the interstate. The driver kept going but I had a couple people pull over to make sure I was okay.

Fortunately, I am a card-carrying member of the ATGATT brigade. My brand new RF-1200 (only its second time out) saved my head (no concussion or head/neck injuries). My A* gloves kept my hands in pretty decent condition. I wore through the palm on both but only sustained a bit of road rash on my left hand. The knuckles of the gloves were pretty ripped up as well but no damage to the hands in those locations. Right hand escaped unscathed. Not bad for 60 mph on asphalt. I burned through the knees of my pants as well but, once again, only suffered some minor road rash. At the end of the day, what would have been a potentially life-threatening situation without gear ended up being one I was able to walk/ride away from.

As for the bike, it too suffered some road rash. It slid cleanly on the right side. Other than a bent brake lever and pedal, all the damage is cosmetic. All the fairings on the right side, as well as the right side of the nose and tail, got a bit chewed up. Also scraped up the bar end, the mirror, and the muffler. Also, somehow, the right side turn indicator is completely AWOL. Fortunately, the bar end and the muffler kept it off the engine and frame. After 15 mins on the side of the road with a state trooper, there were no fluids under the bike. I was able to limp it home and am now waiting on insurance to cut a check.

At the end of the day, what could have been a very bad experience turned out as more drama than substance. This finally gives me an excuse to swap on a full system, some flush mounts, and a tinted windscreen (the old one has some sap damage). For the people who don't believe in gear, check out the pics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fortunately, I am a card-carrying member of the ATGATT brigade. At the end of the day, what would have been a potentially life-threatening situation without gear ended up being one I was able to walk/ride away from.
At the end of the day, what could have been a very bad experience turned out as more drama than substance.
Good story, thanks for sharing. Glad you were able to get out as well as you did. Heal well and quickly and have fun modding the bike.

By the way, if you ever plan to go to the race track, racers go clear windshield.
Not everyone. Always hated them on my helmets and my bikes. No fun coming out of a turn, rolling on the gas and picking a line through others while trying to squint into a sun that's low in the sky.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What a story! Very sorry for the crash; happy you are OK. Bike doesn’t look so bad. I admire your bravery and cool. Dress for the slide...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey man that's great that you walked away from it, and there is only one reason that you can't argue with. You were wearing the proper gear. Gear is replaceable. Your limbs are not.
Ever since I low slided on my R3, I decided to go full ATGATT. Why risk your life for showing off?

I've read somewhere that falling off a bike at 35 MPH shaves 1 mm of flesh for every mile slid. Eek, you'd rather be 6 feet under sliding on a highway like that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figure damage to the bike should ring in under $1k. Gear replacement should be another $1k. I've already ordered replacement levers via Jesse. Depending on which comes first, full exhaust will coincide with either insurance check or paycheck. Its all about perspective, right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts