Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took her out for the break in run. 4 hours, 231 miles. Diablo Rosso II's and Akrapovic slipp on installed. First impressions: 1st gear real short, clutch engagement is later on the lever than i like. Need to adjust clutch lever to be more in-line with my fingers on the grip. i was lifting my clutch fingers to get the lever, easy fix. shifter peg/lever is in tight, i have to get used to that. front suspension dives like a mofo, i'm a heavy 2 finger braker. apply smoothly. i did a few hard stops on an empty street to bed the brakes. 40-0 hard 4 times and just putt putt around to cool em off to not stand on them at a stop. handle bar vibration: it did have a numbing effect, 4 hours. are there softer gel or rubber grips out there? OK. the good: this little monster likes to tip in easy. very little input needed to get her into a turn, it's like riding a Haro or GT bicycle. wherever you want to go, it will go she will not fight you on that. comfy. rode 4 hours straight and was done. went up and down the rev range when safe to not stay stuck at one rpm. 5'5" no need to lower it, instills confidence to put both boots on the ground. people were taking pics of me on the freeway. kids. "dad i want that!" probably maybe because 93 degrees out 89% humidity and i'm in a 1piece all race squid out. 1piece, instills confidence as well, no flappy tshirt. ear plugs a must to keep wind noise down in the helmet. i felt i was in a car sometimes from the quietness. when it's quiet, your vision is widened. i apologize for this, it turned out to be a review of the bike. there was a moment i thought 600? this is the break in phase, it will go fast enough to not get tickets all the time. i think i this is the beginning of great times!

·
Registered
389 Posts
1st gear is ok once you get enough F miles on it to wring it out. And WELCOME.

Reactions: matrix22

·
Registered
169 Posts
Welcome from India
Yes it does have vibes in the handle bar especially in the right side. its felt even how soft you are holding the throttle. I found the remedies to use gel gloves, heavy duty bar ends, pillow top bar grips but none implemented due to lack of availability locally.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Good tires, right out of the gate. Have fun. I know you will.
If this is your first bike, in about 2,000 miles... you will want a bigger engine.
Go literbike for your next one. You already have a 1-piece race suit.
:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
@ matrix22

welcome aboard:) yup the R3's a fun little bike with attitude!

btw, I personally can't ride with ear plugs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good tires, right out of the gate. Have fun. I know you will.
If this is your first bike, in about 2,000 miles... you will want a bigger engine.
Go literbike for your next one. You already have a 1-piece race suit.
:D

Sold aprilia rsvr factory a few years ago. Got the riding bug again. After putting 500 plus miles I can say this machine is comfortable. Yes, it's not break neck fast, but I do have the sensation that I am riding a bigger bike. My suspension is stock, not to down play it, the stock suspension is so soft that it's giving me better feed back this way. Braking before a turn or chopping the throttle in a turn serves great penalties in doing so. You can really feel your technique and improve upon it with the bike the way it is. I'm not fully broken in yet, so I'm not pushing it in the turns. Today I was doing another break in run. I noticed that torque comes on at about 6300rpm. I was on freeway in 6th gear doing rev pulls from 4000 to just under 7k. No revs above 7k per manual. My butt Dino felt the pull at 6300 every time. Am I wrong? It seemed like a good indicator of the beginning of the powerband to be in while starting a turn. It was a shame I could not roll on and peg it. Shifting mid corner, not my Forte. My tires inspire cornering confidence. We are getting along nicely. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Congrats! I've ignored the owners manual about revs above 7k because it just says 'sustained' revs above 7k. So if I happen to rev it higher for a few seconds, should be no biggie, right? I thought I read somewhere about motorcycle break in periods that there are two schools of thought: 1. to do a few spurts to redline to loosen up the engine or 2. follow manual exactly. The guys that do #1 apparently dyno higher (with no mods) than the guys who follow #2 . Both camps will swear by their results. For me personally, whenever I have a new car, I do #1 . Never had issues (and flame if you will).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts