Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a recall thread!!! Lol

Anyways, I finally got my bike back from the service dept. It has been dropped off there and been there since the 5th!!!! It was being worked on for a warranty claim for an oil leak of unknown origin.

They initially told me it was just improperly sealed from the factory. A few days of working on it and they told me they found another oil leak and they needed to order more parts to replace the faulty ones. Then a few days ago they left a voicemail saying the bottom gaskets were also damaged and they needed to order those parts. Then on Friday they called and told me they found that the piston rings were damaged from "riding too hard/aggressive". To me that seems far fetched considering I babied my ride during the break in period and then commute in traffic to work and back so there's no way I can WOT even if I wanted to cuz it's just too dangerous in SoCal traffic. I think they were damaged from lack of lubricrication in the engine from the initial oil leak. Anyways, I went right to the shop and threw the biggest bitch fit. Mainly cuz I was upset they keep finding things wrong with my bike and that they were taking forever to fix it and then blaming me for "riding too hard".

I finally got the bike back yesterday, a day after they told me the Pistons were bad. She seems the same to me, even with the recalled parts replaced or I just haven't had her for 2 weeks and forgot how she handled before lol. Anyways, I'm just glad to have her back and I hope they didn't rush to put her back together cuz I came in all hot and on fire and threatening to sue and use lemon laws against them. Anyways, rant over! Glad to have my baby back and with a rebuilt engine lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hope everything turns out ok. If not I hope you didn't burn your bridges.

Reactions: Jem24x

·
Registered
330 Posts
If it is an option, take it to another dealership ASAP. Get that work double check. If something is botched, and the dealer isn't willing to take care of it - nicely or not - call Yamaha USA and give them an earful. It is up to them to prove you voided the warranty, not the other way around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Saw your post on FB about this lol. Hope they didnt do a bad job because of your displeasure in them (trust me I would be mad with them holding my bike for almost a month too). Anyway good luck and hope everything is well with your bike.

ps: I just had my recall done and feel like there was no real difference with the new parts as well. Just a peace of mind thing I guess.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well at the end of the day...we ended on good terms...no burned bridges. I came into pick up my baby and apologized for my attitude the previous day and they understood....if someone's toys break of course they will be mad, especially a new toy. Plus, they understood my frustration of all the time they took and the transportation issues...

The tech working on my bike came out and shook my hand and apologized about taking so darn long. But he kept finding things wrong the more and more he worked on it. He asked if I went to the track because judging from the engine I "ride hard". I told him I've never taken it to the track, nor do I even know how to ride hard. I said I go about 80mph on the freeway and a 40mi commute roundtrip. He said 80mph is "pushing the bike too hard" and that it's not meant for high revs and to keep it under 8k rpms....also, he said that I did not need to break in the bike again despite having new piston rings in...I thought I would have to reseat the rings since they are new? He literally said "ride it like you stole it". Right after he said "I ride too hard". Contradicting much? lol

Has anyone else ever heard of that? I thought these bikes were meant for high revs? At least, it feels like it lol there isn't much pull in the lower revs...and I thought everyone in socal rides their bikes at least 80mph just to keep up with the **** traffic...thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Sounds like total BS to me. Sounds like the oil leak results from some other issue which also resulted in oil not reaching where it was supposed to be, damaging the rings.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Half the time, service technicians (and most people for that matter) don't even know what they are talking about. It's just blah blah blah. Bottom line was there was excessive wear. The service tech is only throwing guesses out there, guesses that absolve Yamaha and the dealer from responsibility.

My guess would be the needing new piston rings happened from either oil starvation (oil leak), high oil pressure (oil pump which is recalled), or improper breakin (which theoretically causes piston rings to not seat properly)

Just ride it normally. Don't worry. Yamaha has shown us that they honor their warranty and fix issues with their bike. Enjoy!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well at the end of the day...we ended on good terms...no burned bridges. I came into pick up my baby and apologized for my attitude the previous day and they understood....if someone's toys break of course they will be mad, especially a new toy. Plus, they understood my frustration of all the time they took and the transportation issues...

The tech working on my bike came out and shook my hand and apologized about taking so darn long. But he kept finding things wrong the more and more he worked on it. He asked if I went to the track because judging from the engine I "ride hard". I told him I've never taken it to the track, nor do I even know how to ride hard. I said I go about 80mph on the freeway and a 40mi commute roundtrip. He said 80mph is "pushing the bike too hard" and that it's not meant for high revs and to keep it under 8k rpms....also, he said that I did not need to break in the bike again despite having new piston rings in...I thought I would have to reseat the rings since they are new? He literally said "ride it like you stole it". Right after he said "I ride too hard". Contradicting much? lol

Has anyone else ever heard of that? I thought these bikes were meant for high revs? At least, it feels like it lol there isn't much pull in the lower revs...and I thought everyone in socal rides their bikes at least 80mph just to keep up with the **** traffic...thoughts?
80MPH is pushing the bike too hard? ROFL you shouldnt see what i do with the bike. Tell that queer that small displacement bikes are meant to be high revved especially since yamaha bikes have more power in the higher RPM range and a 300 is meant to be ridden hard. This aint no R1 or R6, we can beat on these lil guys with little to no issues. And for the people that follow the speed limit on the highway, god bless you , because i refuse to stay with the pack of cars, im friggin gone man, i like riding with noone around me.>:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I said I go about 80mph on the freeway and a 40mi commute roundtrip. He said 80mph is "pushing the bike too hard" and that it's not meant for high revs and to keep it under 8k rpms....
The guy clearly has got to be BSing the heck out of you. Keep it under 8k rpms? This isnt a car buddy LOL. And riding 80mph on the freeway is the norm so this tech either is taking advantage of you by bsing or knows nothing about motorcycles. These bikes are high rev engines and should last forever. Sounds to me like you just had the unfortunate incident of purchasing a badly built one. That or the tech fked up numerous things trying to 'fix' your original issue, causing more crap and is trying to cover his own ass. Sketch as **** to be honest

1 - 17 of 17 Posts