Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much debate and lots of good advice from forum members, I finally purchased a new 2015 model Yamaha YZF-R3 two weeks ago. Not being very fond of the cold weather, I guess it will be sitting in the garage until sometime in the spring.
It all started out by initiating contact with the guys at Twin County Motorsports in Rocky Mount. Due to a partial miscommunication on my behalf the bike was not prepped or inspected on the day I wanted to pick up. Nevertheless, the guys at TCM stepped up and went above and beyond by delivering the bike and all paperwork to my doorsteps a few days later, the experience was second to none, and the price was good in my opinion.
The plan is to complete the MSF course early Spring and to do a few cosmetic modifications, namely fender eliminator package and tank grippers. Secure the requisite gears and get ready to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kojiiro, I'm contemplating the frame sliders, I've read both good and bad things.
What's your recommendation, short slider which would require modifications of the faring, or long slider with no modifications?
What your brand of choice?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I went with yamaha sliders - someone actually posted up here they dropped the bike and it saved the fairing even though they're fairly light weight no real reports on actual crash usage though. I also went with them as they look great, but are less likely to catch on anything if I low side at speed and cause the bike to flip than a traditional slider.

Nice to see you around Moto Amino as well!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Omega, I'm slowly getting up to speed thanks to you. I'm on the fence here with this slider thing...but i have enough time to decide.
Think I'll be worried more about a tip over or a slow fall, time will tell.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
TST Industries has a nice protection package as well and it's only $125.
https://tstindustries.com/Level-1-Total-Crash-Protection-Pack-Yamaha-R3-2015.html
If you decide that you don't want to cut your fairings, you can buy everything separately and just get the frame sliders elsewhere, which is what I did.
The fork sliders, bar end sliders and rear spools/sliders are nice though. CT-Rider's recommendation is good too if you want to drop the coin on engine covers as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I got the fork sliders and spool sliders from the TST package, very nice quality, fork sliders even came with reflective tape in white and red if you want to add a little visibility. There's a set of Yamaha case covers I'll probably get (I can get yamaha OEM parts insanely cheap through my dealer buddy).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I second the TST package, but get the cut frame sliders. The guys at TST did a great job putting together a video that shows those that cant even turn a wrench each and every step, plus the template they include with the sliders makes it such a breeze to cut. I was really nervous to take the fairings off of my bike but it was actually really simple.
https://tstindustries.com/Level-1-Total-Crash-Protection-Pack-Yamaha-R3-2015.html

·
Registered
513 Posts
After much debate and lots of good advice from forum members, I finally purchased a new 2015 model Yamaha YZF-R3 two weeks ago.
Nice, like my riding buddy(35 yr AMA member) used to always tell me, "Motorcycles only come in three colors, Black, Red, and Black."

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Nice, like my riding buddy(35 yr AMA member) used to always tell me, "Motorcycles only come in three colors, Black, Red, and Black."
Great choice, Red and White rules!
Your lips move but I can't hear what your sayin...

Red and White ruled in 2015... and then the Matte Gray came along ;)

I do kinda like the new 2017 Matte Black though

·
Registered
304 Posts
Your lips move but I can't hear what your sayin...

Red and White ruled in 2015... and then the Matte Gray came along ;)

I do kinda like the new 2017 Matte Black though
"I have become ... comfortably numb" I was lucky to see Pink Floyd in 1993 in Sun Devil stadium, also Roger Waters open for the Grateful Dead in 1992. Timeless music.

Mate Gray is VERY nice

·
Registered
346 Posts
Very nice, exact same tidy setup I used on mine, license plate light is nice and bright, people can't miss you at night.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts