Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I've had my R3 for almost 2 weeks now and have logged about 300 miles on it. Since im still in the break in period i don't want to give her **** all the time but I'm having trouble finding it's sweet spots for shifting. Often times if im being conservative and shift around 5K rpm the bike will jerk. On a side note..... has anyone else found themselves missing shifts when they are slamming through the gears? Sometimes it seems like you really have to give it a good kick to ensure it shifts.... its happened more than a few times with me haha ... start hauling ass.... then ... braaap braaaaaap braaaaaap BRRAAAAAAPPPPPP

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
He said he's still in the break-in period.

I only have a little over 100 miles on my bike so I too try to shift somewhere between 5-7k. It depends on the road. If I shift at 5K on an incline, the bike bogs down a bit so if I'm on a hill, I take it a little higher, to around 7K. On flat ground, I cruise at around 5K and average somewhere between 60-70mpg when doing so.

To answer your other question, I have no jerking issues. The bike shifts smoothly and I don't have to give too much to the shift lever to get it to engage. It did take me a day to get used to the bike though. Shifting at first was a little rough but it was me and not the bike. Things have smoothed out considerably now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey everyone! I've had my R3 for almost 2 weeks now and have logged about 300 miles on it. Since im still in the break in period i don't want to give her **** all the time but I'm having trouble finding it's sweet spots for shifting. Often times if im being conservative and shift around 5K rpm the bike will jerk. On a side note..... has anyone else found themselves missing shifts when they are slamming through the gears? Sometimes it seems like you really have to give it a good kick to ensure it shifts.... its happened more than a few times with me haha ... start hauling ass.... then ... braaap braaaaaap braaaaaap BRRAAAAAAPPPPPP
Are you new to riding? It really depends on too many things when you should be shifting.. The bike will only jerk if you throttle too hard or abruptly . Try smooth clutch in light throttle clutch out. Are you throttling or just letting it drop into the next gear. And slamming through the gears? All it takes is a smooth upward motion, these bikes are very user friendly/forgiving. I would suggest working on your clutch and throttle responses. Also practice using the shifter properly. I dont think ive ever "missed" a shift? How does one go from 2-4th? Maybe your just forgetting what gear your in? It is also possible to shift without the clutch (not recommended) is that what your referring to?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh you young ones who follow the gentle break-in rules on your very first bike!~ Bless your heart! I remember doing that like yesterday.
Haha, i feel like its all personality/mentality. Alot of professional riders do hard break ins and beat the piss outta the engine. But then again those guys normally have decent bike hookups / cheaper repairs/ etc etc. Personally i did a medium break in, shifted at around 5-7 normally and sometimes i brought it up to 9-9500 till about 600sh miles then brought it up to its fullest at about 1k.

·
Registered
195 Posts
its just a matter of getting used to it. you should be shifting like a pro in no time. I personally listen to the engine, but once your break in period is over, its all about if you want to cruise around or accelerate faster. but like infante said. 5-7 rpm. every rider has their own style, you just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For a smoother and quicker shift preload your shifter as well. What I mean by that is put upwards or downwards pressure on the shifter before you even touch your clutch. A lot of the time I see new riders make the mistake of pulling the clutch all the way in and then moving there foot and shifting the gear and then clutch back out. This takes way more time than necessary and also pulls the clutch in a hugely uneccesary amount. If you preload the shifter and just lightly touch the clutch you will feel the gear pop in place with just the slightest touch and you can go ahead and clutch out again. You will get a lot faster and much smoother shift.

·
Registered
130 Posts
5k 1/min is a bit conservative for an upshift point in my opinion. Did that a couple times, bike feels like it bogs down ("quit shifting me like a car" said the bike). I gradually increased the revs, stretching it briefly to 8, then 9...10.....11k upshifts by the time 800km rolled around. I just followed the book in the sense I avoided sustaining higher revs. Around town I shift around 6-8k 1/min but like others said, it is feel and road/traffic circumstances.

Shifting has not generally been an issue. The 3-4 change I miss once in a blue moon, but that's rider error.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put rear sets on and put small bend on back of rod flipped stock activator for reverse shift and works great also moved stock handlebar risers under top triple tree leaving stock height of fork of corse and remember ass off the seat with head and body leaned as far as you can drop a knee eyes where you want to go and keep it wide open bike will do what its made to do make you happy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you new to riding? It really depends on too many things when you should be shifting.. The bike will only jerk if you throttle too hard or abruptly . Try smooth clutch in light throttle clutch out. Are you throttling or just letting it drop into the next gear. And slamming through the gears? All it takes is a smooth upward motion, these bikes are very user friendly/forgiving. I would suggest working on your clutch and throttle responses. Also practice using the shifter properly. I dont think ive ever "missed" a shift? How does one go from 2-4th? Maybe your just forgetting what gear your in? It is also possible to shift without the clutch (not recommended) is that what your referring to?

I am relatively new to riding. started riding dirt bikes last summer, fixed up an old 86' Suzuki savage and learned to ride on the streets with that. I have found that shifting around the 8-9k range was a lot smoother. being conservative and trying to shift around 5k in first gear usually results in a jerky shift. sometimes I've found that if I don't roll completely off the throttle and shift it's smoother. idk this is the newest bike I've ever ridden hahaha and as far as "missing shifts" I should say, I think it clicks into the next gear but it didn't and end up doing a rev bomb.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My break in was never one steady rpm for 500 first oil change then i took it to the track and wide open is the way that motor wants to run

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My break in was never one steady rpm for 500 first oil change then i took it to the track and wide open is the way that motor wants to run
as far as my break in has gone, im approaching 500 miles and usually now I've been letting it rev higher going through the gears ( 9-10k ) I still keep it under 7k for highway riding. that's what I've heard about these bikes, they love being ridden in the high rpm's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh you young ones who follow the gentle break-in rules on your very first bike!~ Bless your heart! I remember doing that like yesterday.
I have broken in all of my bikes in gently and NEVER had to shim a single valve ever !!!

92' Katana 600, 93' GSXR-750, 06' Buell XB12R and now my 15' R3

·
Registered
9 Posts
For a smoother and quicker shift preload your shifter as well. What I mean by that is put upwards or downwards pressure on the shifter before you even touch your clutch. A lot of the time I see new riders make the mistake of pulling the clutch all the way in and then moving there foot and shifting the gear and then clutch back out. This takes way more time than necessary and also pulls the clutch in a hugely uneccesary amount. If you preload the shifter and just lightly touch the clutch you will feel the gear pop in place with just the slightest touch and you can go ahead and clutch out again. You will get a lot faster and much smoother shift.
I started riding 2 weeks ago and sir, you have changed my life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts