Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you place your fingers while riding? Do you cover the clutch and brake lever with any fingers or do you wait until you need to use the lever?

Also, how many fingers do you wrap around the brake lever?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been a two-finger braker since track days, et al. I don't think I ever cover the clutch, unless it is heavy stop-and-go traffic, though I am sure this comes down to preference.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I typically ride relaxed with my hands off the bike or 1 hand on the throttle 1 hand on my lap. I do tend to ride with my left hand on the clutch and my right hand on the break lever if im trying to be rossi.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Normally I cover both with 2 fingers.

Reactions: matrix22

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never cover any of them unless I need them. When you are frightened you react immediately by pulling the brake, which is not always the best solution. Anyway, Thats what my intstructor learned me :).

·
Registered
856 Posts

I go very delicately
very relaxed.
open palms.

If you'd crack an egg between glove and grips you're holding on way too tight.
Just one pinkie on the brake to brush and bury when required.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ride relaxed also with left on lap, right on throttle. I don't cover either brake or clutch when riding. @eschwinm
My instructor told me the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
856 Posts
I ride relaxed also with left on lap, right on throttle. I don't cover either brake or clutch when riding. @eschwinm
My instructor told me the same thing.

What happens when you have to turn left like NOW asap to avoid the bonnet emblem?
or a slide/brick/dog/wildlife/unsecure load....
**** gets real in the blink of an eye and your unbalanced.

Leave the one hand stuff for cyclelozer

·
Registered
542 Posts
im guilty of one handing on long highway rides or to just occasionally change up position. I'll cover the brake if im in "riskier" situations , stuff like lane splitting, coming around a blind corner quickly, or approaching intersections with heavy traffic. Those extra 10ths of a second saved by not reaching for the lever could really matter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
On freeway, no cover, loosey goosey on grips. In town cover 2 fingers each lever. Good post. How about lever position? I find that the clutch lever is high for my hand position that I have to lift fingers up from grip than just extend and grab. Thinking of adjusting to be more ergonomic. Thoughts?

·
Registered
116 Posts
wait! you guys ride with fingers on the levers all the time?!?! That's like driving a car with your left foot resting on the brake pedal or on your clutch if you have a stick!
I consider myself a Noob ;) but even I know that's a bad idea!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I only touch my brake when I need it & mostly try not to use at all;) when I do use it it's with my all 4 fingers since they're all attached to my hand:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wait! you guys ride with fingers on the levers all the time?!?! That's like driving a car with your left foot resting on the brake pedal or on your clutch if you have a stick!
Seeing as you're a self confessed 'noob', what makes you qualified to say that you 'know' it's a bad idea to cover your brake lever? :|

Do you know the reaction times at say 40mph and how much distance it costs you with cover vs no cover?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yeah, I usually cover the brake with 1 or 2 fingers. SUually I have 1 over it always and wrap my middle finger when braking. Guess that's unconventional. I don't usually cover the clutch with any. Just when I shift. I don't have shorty levers though.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Noob.

·
Registered
856 Posts

One finger resting on top of a lever (as per my pic) is not going to do anything
until I react to move it in.

IF it does, then the rider is not relaxed, not aware, and holding on too tight.
^This is the most common bad habit new riders do.

Do do you know many Metres per second you are doing at 200kph, 160kph, 110kph? ..
. even at 80kph in traffic you are travelling at over 22 metres per second... so the half a second to brush, then bury your brakes HARD....
might be the difference between life and death.

Get some training, learn correct braking technique.

·
Registered
424 Posts

I go very delicately
very relaxed.
open palms.

If you'd crack an egg between glove and grips you're holding on way too tight.
Just one pinkie on the brake to brush and bury when required.

That's not your pinkie on the lever, that's your index finger there plus, that's atleast 10-15s away from the next braking zone

P.S. It's about time you bring that thing back up to the big smoke

1 - 20 of 25 Posts