Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Good luck. Before you go wasting money on tires, have you ridden the R3 or any bike on similar tires to the R3? I ask because while I swapped out to S20's (this bike will see the track at least once per month), if you are just commuting you can save your money by not buying tires and use it on something like good gear. I sound hypocritical to say keep the stock tires while mine are not stock, bt again, my bike is going to see things other than just commuting. Also, Stirz mentione he took his to the track as well on the stock tires so that's got to mean something at least for someone just commuting and not looking to drag knee at every corner on the street.

I have my stock ones sitting in storage. I would put them in right now if my tires were worn out and I had no money for another set of S20's. I still commute everyday.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
My stock tires have been fine. No complaints at all for committing... except in really cold weather. Anything under 45 degrees, they lose some of their grip and feel a bit skittish to me. Other than cold mornings though, they're fine.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My stock tires have been fine. No complaints at all for committing... except in really cold weather. Anything under 45 degrees, they lose some of their grip and feel a bit skittish to me. Other than cold mornings though, they're fine.
Agreed. While I am not a fan of them, I don't look to them as my go-to tires, I find it kind of funny how everyone makes it sound as if riding on stockers will somehow have you slipping and sliding all over the road while just doing some basic commuting or canyon riding.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Agreed. While I am not a fan of them, I don't look to them as my go-to tires, I find it kind of funny how everyone makes it sound as if riding on stockers will somehow have you slipping and sliding all over the road while just doing some basic commuting or canyon riding.

I'm sure I've posted a video (probably over a year ago) of the stock tires resulting in a crash at the track when they weren't being pushed hard at all.
That being said, sounds like this will be the OP's first bike and I'ld suggest using the stock tires while starting out, they should provide plenty for someone learning to ride

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm sure I've posted a video (probably over a year ago) of the stock tires resulting in a crash at the track when they weren't being pushed hard at all.
That being said, sounds like this will be the OP's first bike and I'ld suggest using the stock tires while starting out, they should provide plenty for someone learning to ride
+1 to everything Kojiiro and what everyone else has said. I also swapped out to S20's after ~7 months of owning the bike. The stock tires are 100% fine for a new rider, you will not be pushing it very hard. As you learn and gain experience you may want to swap them out later months down the line, but keep them for now and learn. When you're experienced enough to take advantage of the new tire, you'll appreciate it more.

One thing I've noticed is the stock tires keep my limits in check on the street - this was very much a good thing. Also the stock tires have a more neutral handling profile. I'd argue it's probably better for a newer rider since it has slightly less turn in than more rounded high performance tires.

Also forgot to mention, you can drop the pressure on the rear tire a little (few psi -3 or so depending on your weight) and it helps out a lot. Just don't hit the weight limit with the lower tire pressure (passengers, which you said is a non issue).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd also use the stock rubber for at least 3-6 months while you learn how the bike reacts in different circumstances. Switching to new performance rubber without some idea of "normal" can be a bit dangerous for the inexperienced, because you need about 100 Kms to scrub off the new tires.

I went with the Metzeler Sportec M7 RR 150 (rear) 110 (front). If it's been developed with the Isle of Man TT in mind... it should be okay for my 321cc commuter lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good luck. Before you go wasting money on tires, have you ridden the R3 or any bike on similar tires to the R3? I ask because while I swapped out to S20's (this bike will see the track at least once per month), if you are just commuting you can save your money by not buying tires and use it on something like good gear. I sound hypocritical to say keep the stock tires while mine are not stock, bt again, my bike is going to see things other than just commuting. Also, Stirz mentione he took his to the track as well on the stock tires so that's got to mean something at least for someone just commuting and not looking to drag knee at every corner on the street.

I have my stock ones sitting in storage. I would put them in right now if my tires were worn out and I had no money for another set of S20's. I still commute everyday.
thank you for your suggestions

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd also use the stock rubber for at least 3-6 months while you learn how the bike reacts in different circumstances. Switching to new performance rubber without some idea of "normal" can be a bit dangerous for the inexperienced, because you need about 100 Kms to scrub off the new tires.

I went with the Metzeler Sportec M7 RR 150 (rear) 110 (front). If it's been developed with the Isle of Man TT in mind... it should be okay for my 321cc commuter lol.
yeah they get good reviews

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
as my daddy used to say, dont offer whiskey you aint drinking yourself
Not sure what you mean, but i have ridden both tires, and though I much prefer the S20, I will say you can absolutely ride on the stock ones, especially just commuting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts