Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got My R3 at the end of October last year, managed about 3 weeks of riding before the weather turned and the bike got garaged (yes, I'm a fair weather rider these days)

Spent some time over the winter doing a few mods, getting the bike to what I wanted it to be. Must admit I'd been getting the itch to get out again over the last few weeks.

Woke up this morning to clear blue skies, waited for it to warm up a bit and when out for a blast with a friend, was good to get out!

Can't wait to get it run in properly, short shifting is no fun, only another 660 miles to go :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
The "break in period" is such a debatable topic. I've been told by several professionals "don't baby it like people say; ride it like you plan to ride it in the future." I'm at 200 miles or so in 4-5 days and my home (having a blast) is between 7-11k RPM. Why do I ride it so hard? Because that's how I plan to ride it, always.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Phil. Where in Lancashire are you? I am in St Helens. From and work in Skelmersdale. Me and the other half got out on Sunday. Had a brilliant ride up to The Ponderosa Cafe on the Horseshoe pass. First long run of the year. Can't wait for more runs out. Luckily I bought mine ex demo so it was already ridden in. Doesn't take much doing though. Keep getting out :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told not to be afraid of using it, so I don't always baby it. I haven't ridden for over 20 years so I'm running myself back in at the same time. The bike revs great now so it's probably me holding the bike back.

Hi Ally, I'm in Preston, so not too far from you. I've only really done a few localish rides so far, been up to Devils Bridge & Rivington Barn and the surrounding areas. As the weather improves I'm hoping to get further out exploring, can't beat the freedom of a bike :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not far at all Phil. I had had a 20 year break from biking also. I made the mistake of getting a ZZR600 last year but it was too heavy and had way more power than I needed. I have already done more miles in one ride on my R3 than I did on nearly a year of having it. We are lucky to have so many great routes and meeting places within relatively short distances, so it makes getting back into the swing of things so much easier. If only we had consistent weather!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely looking forward to getting out and about on the bike more. The one thing you can't count on is the British weather!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Definitely looking forward to getting out and about on the bike more. The one thing you can't count on is the British weather!
You know what they say over here Phil,if you don't like the English weather wait a minute.HaHa.(then you still get p****d on from a great height)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts