Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my first real ride on my first bike ever. 200 miles and 5 hours of getting lost in Texas hill country (and an accidental interstate experience) and I just have to ask...why is there any other form of ground transportation?

I feel like I've wasted 12 years of my life by not doing this. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I should have gotten my endoresment 11 years ago when i wanted to. Instead i delayed till last fall. I did a 140 mile ride on my FZ6 yesterday trying to learn from a buddy on his R6. I still have a long ways to go but im learning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have gotten my endoresment 11 years ago when i wanted to. Instead i delayed till last fall. I did a 140 mile ride on my FZ6 yesterday trying to learn from a buddy on his R6. I still have a long ways to go but im learning.
I'm in the same boat...I learned today that slowing from highway speeds and then turning onto side roads is really hard. I didn't die, but not a single turn is what I would call pretty.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just did my first real ride on my first bike ever. 200 miles and 5 hours of getting lost in Texas hill country (and an accidental interstate experience) and I just have to ask...why is there any other form of ground transportation?

I feel like I've wasted 12 years of my life by not doing this. :D
Good God! Please be careful! Please ensure you are wearing safety gear! ASGAT. Have fun, but don't trust anyone on the road and watch the axis deer!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you taken the MSF safety course yet?
Yeah, I took it back on the 23rd...it's a requirement for a license in Texas as well as a requirement for my employer/insurance. And if I do something dumb I would really like to have them fix me :D

Good God! Please be careful! Please ensure you are wearing safety gear! ASGAT. Have fun, but don't trust anyone on the road and watch the axis deer!!!
Thanks, I am having fun...put another 300 miles in today lol. And I only ride with everything protected and I hate people to begin with so of course I don't trust them. I did have to honk at one lady. Not that it stopped her from meandering into my lane and the spot I was occupying, but I tried. People are terrible, this one in particular probably would have done that even if I was a car.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Yeah, I took it back on the 23rd...it's a requirement for a license in Texas as well as a requirement for my employer/insurance. And if I do something dumb I would really like to have them fix me :D

Thanks, I am having fun...put another 300 miles in today lol. And I only ride with everything protected and I hate people to begin with so of course I don't trust them. I did have to honk at one lady. Not that it stopped her from meandering into my lane and the spot I was occupying, but I tried. People are terrible, this one in particular probably would have done that even if I was a car.
Replace your stock horn with a FIAMM Low Note horn and people will get out of your way because they think you're a truck. It has a 130 dB blast....

Works for me every time I need it. Only $11 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-2-DAY-...versal-Brac-/301703962907?hash=item463ef5211b

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I saw that you'd modded yours a week or so ago....is it weird if I was thinking of you literally the entire time I was holding down the button?
Ahhh, I feel honored. Now buy that horn! You won't regret it.

I have that FIAMM horn on all my bikes. Be sure to get the Low Note 72012 and not the High Note 72002. It's better if they think you're a large truck than a Hyundai.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey I also just ordered the horn it hasn't came yet but I just want to know ahead of time, how would I install it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ahhh, I feel honored. Now buy that horn! You won't regret it.

I have that FIAMM horn on all my bikes. Be sure to get the Low Note 72012 and not the High Note 72002. It's better if they think you're a large truck than a Hyundai.
hello i am really interested in having that horn too. i actually ordered one. do you need any other things to buy to install it? or would it fit to the same bracket the old horn is in to?

thanks in advanced!

RIDE SAFE!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm in the same boat...I learned today that slowing from highway speeds and then turning onto side roads is really hard. I didn't die, but not a single turn is what I would call pretty.
YOU SHOULD TRY WATCHING THIS.. I AM JUST LIKE YOU A NEW RIDER, AND THIS VIDEO ACTUALLY HELPS A LOT, UNLESS YOU HAVE 3K TO ATTEND HIS WEEKEND CLASS WHICH IS REALLY AWESOME.. MAYBE ONE DAY LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWLIfChUwg

RIDE SAFE!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I also ordered that horn. Right now when I honk at people I yell out "The roadrunner is pissed off!!" because thats what it sounds like, the roadrunner from the cartoon.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
hello i am really interested in having that horn too. i actually ordered one. do you need any other things to buy to install it? or would it fit to the same bracket the old horn is in to?

thanks in advanced!

RIDE SAFE!!
It's a very easy change out. It fits on to the same bracket.

Wire connectors on the R3 attach right up to the new horn.

Definitely add a lock washer, Nylock nut and/or some blue Loctite or it will loosen up and start to rattle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's a very easy change out. It fits on to the same bracket.

Wire connectors on the R3 attach right up to the new horn.

Definitely add a lock washer, Nylock nut and/or some blue Loctite or it will loosen up and start to rattle.
ALRIGHT! THANKS FOR THE ADVISE BUDDY!! appreciate it!

RIDE SAFE!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes I can verify the new horn bolts right to the existing bracket and the existing horn connectors connect to the new horn without any alteration needed. 11 bucks and my bike now sounds like a truck. It took about 3 minutes to install. I think if you tighten it you don't need a lock washer. The original horn didn't have one.

It's a 10mm bolt if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Yes I can verify the new horn bolts right to the existing bracket and the existing horn connectors connect to the new horn without any alteration needed. 11 bucks and my bike now sounds like a truck. It took about 3 minutes to install. I think if you tighten it you don't need a lock washer. The original horn didn't have one.

It's a 10mm bolt if I remember correctly.
Mine loosened up on a 100+ mile ride and started banging over bumps, but the roads here are crap from Winter freeze/thaw cycle.

I added a Nylock nut to fix that issue.

This horn is the cheapest and easiest safety mod there is for a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts