Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first 2 rides actually.
It is a 2015 that I got with 6,000 km on it, 9 months old.
Took some getting used to, as I have been riding an '89 Hawk GT which is a 650 v-twin with lots of midrange grunt.
First impression - if you want some serious "go" at the ready, you need to be at 6,000 rpm. From that point on up it is quite peppy. Below 6,000 is useful for trolling through town in 2nd, 3rd, 4th..
Definitely a modern technology engine that seems happy to spin up to redline without complaint, and the gearbox/clutch is nice.
I find the seating position a little higher than I like. More "on" the bike rather than "in" it, but hopefully that's just a question of getting familiar with it. My old bike was as comfy as old jeans.
HATE the seat! Uncomfortable, and bugging me after riding an hour.
I got this E-mail from Saddlemen Seats -
" The R3 seat is finished and being produced and distributed now! Please check with your local dealer to order. Thanks!"
Sounds promising.
Don't know about the tyres (bias ply Pilot Street). It was 7 degrees C and playing with the cold is like playing with fire.:eek:

Reactions: Aufitt

·
Registered
856 Posts
Glad to hear you have it R100 :)

Tyres are older design than your Hawk, ditch them they're junk.

Most find the seat too soft, maybe yours has been modified or cut down?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear you have it R100 :)
Tyres are older design than your Hawk, ditch them they're junk.
Most find the seat too soft, maybe yours has been modified or cut down?
Spent a long time agonizing between the R3 and the CBR. I know you had a CBR250R, how do you feel now about getting the R3 rather than the CBR300R?

What tyres are you running on the R3?

Seat is stock (perhaps just my skinny butt).

Maybe you remember - 2 or 3 years ago, on the CBR250R forum, we had a good discussion about tyre pressures at the race track (the 10%-15% rule)? It was one of the few sensible discussions on that forum.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Spent a long time agonizing between the R3 and the CBR. I know you had a CBR250R, how do you feel now about getting the R3 rather than the CBR300R?
I'd be interesting in hearing these thoughts as well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts