Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the first service done on my R-3. Dropped the oil, Changed the oil filter, checked the chain, etc.

I had read others complain about over tight oil filter..... yup, so was mine. All I can say is "F&@! you Yamaha, what the **** were you thinking?".

Save yourself some time on your first service. Don't bother dicking around with filter tools cause you will never get it off with them. Just go straight for punching it with a screw driver trick cause it ain't coming off any other way. Just make sure you have a buddy spotting the filter so you don't punch through the filter and then puncture something important.

I put on a K&N filter with a 17mm nut.... pain in the butt oil changes are now a thing of the past :).

So recap.... Save about an hour of frustration... punch it, crack it, (repeat as nessesary).... then chuck that POS filter away.

By the way, my wife's Kawi 300 had the same issue on her first oil change. Way over tight from the factory. Not sure about the Honda 300's but Kawi and Yamaha are a royal pain.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Got the first service done on my R-3. Dropped the oil, Changed the oil filter, checked the chain, etc.

I had read others complain about over tight oil filter..... yup, so was mine. All I can say is "F&@! you Yamaha, what the **** were you thinking?".

Save yourself some time on your first service. Don't bother dicking around with filter tools cause you will never get it off with them. Just go straight for punching it with a screw driver trick cause it ain't coming off any other way. Just make sure you have a buddy spotting the filter so you don't punch through the filter and then puncture something important.

I put on a K&N filter with a 17mm nut.... pain in the butt oil changes are now a thing of the past :).

So recap.... Save about an hour of frustration... punch it, crack it, (repeat as nessesary).... then chuck that POS filter away.

By the way, my wife's Kawi 300 had the same issue on her first oil change. Way over tight from the factory. Not sure about the Honda 300's but Kawi and Yamaha are a royal pain.

Here's mine

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
My oil cap "socket" wouldn't grab well enough. So I used large jaw pliers on the end, came right off. Location makes it easy. The Yamaha 6R, filter is buried in a difficult location on the side.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My oil cap "socket" wouldn't grab well enough. So I used large jaw pliers on the end, came right off. Location makes it easy. The Yamaha 6R, filter is buried in a difficult location on the side.
^^ This......I used the pliers and got it off real easy on the R3. From the experience on the R6, I now only get filters with the 17mm nut on top. Easy to safety wire them as well ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts