Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well this past weekend I've been thinking man it's been awhile since I had the oil changed. I clean and lube the chain often as required. Being my first motorcycle I would rather the shop take care of most the stuff but I'm not afraid of oil. Anyways, this actually happened Sunday i was riding the bike to work then the oil stated flashing on me. thought I post anyways. Motorcycle shops are closed on Sundays here, luckily O'Reily had the oil and filter. Mobil 1 10w40 synthetic was on sale at 8.99/ bottle. Not bad and filter was about 15. I bought a kn204 filter. Easy to take off next time with its design. Since the shops were closed. I for gone the new crush washer for the plug. But I've ridden the bike 100mi since Sunday and it's all dry. On the next change though I plan on using a magnetic plug so I'll buy a few crush washers and stock up on them. Manual says 2.2qts. I bought 3qts and 2 was plenty enough to get the job done. Bike shifts like a champ again. Saturday on the way home the bike was having issues finding 3rd/2nd and 1st gear. I guess the oil really does play a big role in this bike. I haven't had any issues since at any gear/ speed.

http://imgur.com/TWQrC5e

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well this past weekend I've been thinking man it's been awhile since I had the oil changed. I clean and lube the chain often as required. Being my first motorcycle I would rather the shop take care of most the stuff but I'm not afraid of oil. Anyways, this actually happened Sunday i was riding the bike to work then the oil stated flashing on me. thought I post anyways. Motorcycle shops are closed on Sundays here, luckily O'Reily had the oil and filter. Mobil 1 10w40 synthetic was on sale at 8.99/ bottle. Not bad and filter was about 15. I bought a kn204 filter. Easy to take off next time with its design. Since the shops were closed. I for gone the new crush washer for the plug. But I've ridden the bike 100mi since Sunday and it's all dry. On the next change though I plan on using a magnetic plug so I'll buy a few crush washers and stock up on them. Manual says 2.2qts. I bought 3qts and 2 was plenty enough to get the job done. Bike shifts like a champ again. Saturday on the way home the bike was having issues finding 3rd/2nd and 1st gear. I guess the oil really does play a big role in this bike. I haven't had any issues since at any gear/ speed.

http://imgur.com/TWQrC5e
FYI, now that you have switched over to synthetic you MUST keep using synthetic, you can't go back to regular oil.

I didn't swap my crush washer either after the 600mi break-in. How many miles are you at?? Out of curiosity, how many times have you changed the oil so far/when was the last time you changed it?

edit: apparently not switching back from synthetic is a myth, my bad! Don't listen to me!

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Synthetic Oil Myths

Myth: Once you switch to synthetic oil, you can never switch back.

This is one of the most persistent myths about synthetic oil—and completely untrue. You can switch back and forth at any time. In fact, synthetic blends are simply a mixture of synthetic and conventional oils. It is advisable that you use the same oil for top-ups if needed, thereby giving you the best protection from the oil that you have chosen.

Source: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/educa...-oil.html#iframe-L2JyYW5kcy9wZW5uem9pbC8wMQ==

·
Registered
346 Posts
Synthetic Oil Myths

Myth: Once you switch to synthetic oil, you can never switch back.

This is one of the most persistent myths about synthetic oil—and completely untrue. You can switch back and forth at any time. In fact, synthetic blends are simply a mixture of synthetic and conventional oils. It is advisable that you use the same oil for top-ups if needed, thereby giving you the best protection from the oil that you have chosen.

Source: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/educa...-oil.html#iframe-L2JyYW5kcy9wZW5uem9pbC8wMQ==
Huh, I never knew that. I was always told to stick with synthetic. Apologies for the misinformation, ill edit my post.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm Changing my oil tomorrow I'm a little over 300 miles. I'm planning on torquing the drain plug bolt to the strength of a gentle breeze or maybe giving it a strong gaze. I would of probably over tighten it if I didn't read the other thread about how low the ft lbs are for this bike

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Huh, I never knew that. I was always told to stick with synthetic. Apologies for the misinformation, ill edit my post.
I hadn't heard of the myth until I went looking for more info.
It's what I love most about good, friendly forums. Every visit, I learn something new :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been 200+ miles since the oil change. And I think I'm somewhere over 4k miles total. Maybe even around 5k I'll update later. Anyways. I've had the first 600 change last year by the shop. Did another oil change at 1200 by the shop. This oil change with synthetic was done same day my oil started flashing at me. Which seems just about right for the 3k intervals. Since then I've been paying attention for oil leaks have not seen any. We have been having wet rainy weather and I've started to notice somewhat of a electrical burning smell. Hoping it's just from all the rain on the engine and such. I will be taking off all my fairings this weekend and taking a close look at everything. I will make another post for this at that point. Other then that I never smelt this before only when I started riding in the rain. Also only happens at warm-up I don't notice it at any other point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I reused my washer till next oil change. But I've just tighten till snug and gave 1/4 or less turn more. And called it quits. If so just snug down and double check everything once you get the bike started

1 - 10 of 10 Posts