Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as my self-explanatory title says, this is my first time ever plasti dipping and spraying any sort of spray paint cans in general. I know the red and white was a throwback to the older Yamahas, which wasn't too bad of a look, but I really wanted a white and black bike. I didn't want to go for any of the competition that already has black and white cause the r3 is just so dang badass and has a fantastic look. Anyway! Before I get too wordy, say what you may I suppose about my paint job or the color, but I'm pretty happy with it and it's what I want right now. :)
P.s. This pic is of the first only pieces I have painted and pearlized and coated right now. Will post of them as I progress and the final product of my bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks great! Could you tell me where you purchased the pearl white paint? Did it come close to the existing white on the bike and will you add a clear coat so the plastic dip is easier to clean?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great! Could you tell me where you purchased the pearl white paint? Did it come close to the existing white on the bike and will you add a clear coat so the plastic dip is easier to clean?
I just bought the normal white plasti dip and the plasti dip pearlizer. The pearlizer is a 'top coat' on its own so I didn't feel the need to add a clear coat, but I did purchase everything from dipyourcar.com and my local Ace hardware, plus from the website I bought a 'dip coat' that supposedly coats the dip and helps protect from scratches and smoothes out the dip and brings out the color.
I was kind of hoping it would match the already existing white side fairings on my bike, but the pearlizer, while giving the pearl sheen, also gave a teensy bit of that cream pearl ish color. The pieces still look pearl white! But the white side fairings are very much more a glossy white with a tiny bit of a glimmer like pearls have. I basically just did a couple coats of white plasti dip on the sides, just to get some layers on it and two of the pearlizer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update! I finished painting and coating all the pieces (finally) and put them all back on my bike. I didn't get pictures yet though because I finished it all and put it together last night. And I was hoping it would be sunny this morning for optimal pictures but not quite... I'll check back tomorrow with pictures regardless of the weather though!

On a side note, I recommend if you're ever going to plasti dip your plastics, when you take off your bolts, put them into baggies with labels. Somehow even though I paid attention to every hole that takes a bolt and screw, I ended up with several leftover bolts....ha....ha I'm going to look over everything again but it was all secure where it should be so I'm unsure how that happened. Ah well, as long as things don't fall apart and fly away right? Lol Also, as 'easy' as plasti dipping is, I would rather not do this again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So as my self-explanatory title says, this is my first time ever plasti dipping and spraying any sort of spray paint cans in general. I know the red and white was a throwback to the older Yamahas, which wasn't too bad of a look, but I really wanted a white and black bike. I didn't want to go for any of the competition that already has black and white cause the r3 is just so dang badass and has a fantastic look. Anyway! Before I get too wordy, say what you may I suppose about my paint job or the color, but I'm pretty happy with it and it's what I want right now. :)
P.s. This pic is of the first only pieces I have painted and pearlized and coated right now. Will post of them as I progress and the final product of my bike!
That is going to look amazing! Post some pictures of the bike all put together!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a sunny day at all :< I will post again when it's sunny so the color and gleam really show... But yeah, finished project. I've got a silver "R3" decal coming in for the sides so I'll see how that adds to this.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will admit I need to redo the side fairings because I totally didn't bank on how much pearlizer I would need for my bike so I ended up on my last can on the sides, putting only two coats on of pearlizer. And lemme tell ya that if you want a nice and even pearl coat, you want at 3-4 coats of pearlizer.... So yeah :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
Should I? I thought clear coats kind of numb the color? I keep thinking about it though.
Wouldn't really numb the color, but it would be hard to remove later down the line.

If anything, just try spraying a few coats of white over something you don't need/use, and then clear over it to see results.

But really nice outcome though. I'm jelly. Only because I wanted a full on white bike too lol.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Should I? I thought clear coats kind of numb the color? I keep thinking about it though.
White with the clear looks really good tbh. I did red and white on my bike, white with like 6 layers of clear and red with maybe 3, and the white looks a lot better (even with some drips and fingerprints)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you had a chance to clean it? I used plastidip on my car a while back, and let me just say that cleaning it was an absolute pain. I didn't use the pearlizer, or a clear coat (I know, I know). The issue I encountered was simply every little particle possible sticking to the dip and not coming off regardless of my attempts, which I figured was due to only dipping and not pearlizing or clear coating. I was considering wrapping, but after seeing your result I think I may follow in your steps and go with plastidip(not sure what color yet).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Have you had a chance to clean it? I used plastidip on my car a while back, and let me just say that cleaning it was an absolute pain. I didn't use the pearlizer, or a clear coat (I know, I know). The issue I encountered was simply every little particle possible sticking to the dip and not coming off regardless of my attempts, which I figured was due to only dipping and not pearlizing or clear coating. I was considering wrapping, but after seeing your result I think I may follow in your steps and go with plastidip(not sure what color yet).
Not hard to clean, I used a wet rag on most of the smaller fairing pieces in the 'V' behind the front wheel. The other pieces are easy to remove (the white 'S' shaped fairings, knee area), so I just popped them off and used water/a sponge at a sink to clean them. I'd assume wheels or rims would be a lot more difficult to clean because of all the areas dirt can get into.

Go for it, I was pretty hesitant at first because of the rep plastidip gets for looking 'cheap'. But I think it looks really good with the clear, and it can be removed whenever I feel like it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts