Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just recently got a r3 and i noticed a couple of things.

1. I cant seem to find coolant level window on the bike. I was riding for about an hour, the temp was in the middle, but when i came home, it went up a bar (one more from being full) and the fan turned on and was loud, is this normal?

2. how often do you do an oil change?

3. How would you go about checking the brake fluid

4. when you stall the bike, i noticed as soon as you start the engine and take off, it stalls again, do you have to wait a bit before taking off again?

5. is there any other maintenance i have to look for other than brake fluid and oil change as listed above?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
64 Posts
1. Yes, the fan is normal. I am not entirely sure where the coolant reservoir is. From what I can vaguely remember I think it is on the right side of the bike. And yes, the fan coming on is completely normal. Once you turn off the key it goes off. I questioned this too because some bikes do not keep the fan running once you hit the kill switch.

2. Oil changes, if you bought it new then I suggest you change it at about 200 miles. Some say at 500, but if you plan on keeping the bike long change it at 200 miles, 500 miles, 1000 after you change it at 1000 do it every 3,000 miles for or so. Depending on whether you use conventional or Shell Rotella Synthetic. Oil is CHEAP having to repair your engine or transmission since they use the same oil and lubricant is expensive. So the 200, 500, 1000 may seem like over kill but when your bike is new it has a bunch of shavings it the oil as things break in. With conventional it is recommended at about 3,000 miles with synthetic you may get 5,000 to 6,000. I personally change my synthetic at 3,5000-4,000 since oil is cheaper than having to repair engine problems.

3. Just check the reservoir in the front by the front brake lever and the rear plastic translucent reservoir by the rear tire. I would not suggest opening the reservoir since you may introduce air and your brakes will become mushy. It's a sealed system so keep it that way unless you have to open it up. Change brake fluid every two years or so.

4. Yes, I have noticed that too with this bike. On the Ninja 300 when I stall it starts RIGHT UP. And its good to go. The R3 however takes some time to crank over sometimes. This is nerve racking since I lane share/lane filter (in CA) so I do not want to keep all these eager cars waiting behind me... If you do not have any cars waiting behind you, sure I saw give it a second or two then crank it back up. You can even shift it back to neutral if you have no one around. And then give it some time to warm back up too like a second or two before you take off. But if there are cars around and what not do not even sweat it just clutch in and take off.

5. I cannot think of any other maintenance. Chain maintenance is so important. Clean and lube your chain every 500 miles or so or about every 2 gas tanks. I use kerosene to clean the chain and maxima chain wax to lubricate it. YES you can use KEROSENE to clean the chain. Many manufacturers advise to use this as a chain cleaner, it is also only $10 for a gallon at homedepot vs. $10 for a can that will not last any where near as long. Check your brake pads every now and again. I spray down my rotors with brake clean every 500 miles with the chain maintence, it is not really required, however, keeping the rotors clean SHOULD help with brake performance. Might be a minute difference but every foot counts in emergency braking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Yes, the fan is normal. I am not entirely sure where the coolant reservoir is. From what I can vaguely remember I think it is on the right side of the bike. And yes, the fan coming on is completely normal. Once you turn off the key it goes off. I questioned this too because some bikes do not keep the fan running once you hit the kill switch.

2. Oil changes, if you bought it new then I suggest you change it at about 200 miles. Some say at 500, but if you plan on keeping the bike long change it at 200 miles, 500 miles, 1000 after you change it at 1000 do it every 3,000 miles for or so. Depending on whether you use conventional or Shell Rotella Synthetic. Oil is CHEAP having to repair your engine or transmission since they use the same oil and lubricant is expensive. So the 200, 500, 1000 may seem like over kill but when your bike is new it has a bunch of shavings it the oil as things break in. With conventional it is recommended at about 3,000 miles with synthetic you may get 5,000 to 6,000. I personally change my synthetic at 3,5000-4,000 since oil is cheaper than having to repair engine problems.

3. Just check the reservoir in the front by the front brake lever and the rear plastic translucent reservoir by the rear tire. I would not suggest opening the reservoir since you may introduce air and your brakes will become mushy. It's a sealed system so keep it that way unless you have to open it up. Change brake fluid every two years or so.

4. Yes, I have noticed that too with this bike. On the Ninja 300 when I stall it starts RIGHT UP. And its good to go. The R3 however takes some time to crank over sometimes. This is nerve racking since I lane share/lane filter (in CA) so I do not want to keep all these eager cars waiting behind me... If you do not have any cars waiting behind you, sure I saw give it a second or two then crank it back up. You can even shift it back to neutral if you have no one around. And then give it some time to warm back up too like a second or two before you take off. But if there are cars around and what not do not even sweat it just clutch in and take off.

5. I cannot think of any other maintenance. Chain maintenance is so important. Clean and lube your chain every 500 miles or so or about every 2 gas tanks. I use kerosene to clean the chain and maxima chain wax to lubricate it. YES you can use KEROSENE to clean the chain. Many manufacturers advise to use this as a chain cleaner, it is also only $10 for a gallon at homedepot vs. $10 for a can that will not last any where near as long. Check your brake pads every now and again. I spray down my rotors with brake clean every 500 miles with the chain maintence, it is not really required, however, keeping the rotors clean SHOULD help with brake performance. Might be a minute difference but every foot counts in emergency braking.
thanks for the reply! I was also wondering what type of octane does the r3 take in, thanks!

·
Registered
811 Posts
so i just recently got a r3 and i noticed a couple of things.

1. I cant seem to find coolant level window on the bike. I was riding for about an hour, the temp was in the middle, but when i came home, it went up a bar (one more from being full) and the fan turned on and was loud, is this normal?

2. how often do you do an oil change?

3. How would you go about checking the brake fluid

4. when you stall the bike, i noticed as soon as you start the engine and take off, it stalls again, do you have to wait a bit before taking off again?

5. is there any other maintenance i have to look for other than brake fluid and oil change as listed above?

Thanks so much!
1. The coolant overflow bottle is on the left side of the bike right above the front sprocket cover. It has a cover on it. It may have a small window, I can't remember. I took mine off because of being a race bike. No need for it.

It is normal for the temp to go up on a bike after turning it off. The water stops flowing around the engine. Hence the "cooling" effect ends since no new fresh cooled water is going through the engine.

Rest of it was pretty well covered.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As Capitalview said, coolant reservoir is on the left-side of the bike. There is a black plastic trim cover, but a small vertical rectangular window has been cut out exposing the min and max marks on the white reservoir; it's very easy to miss. Per the manual and my own experience, the markings are only accurate when the bike is level (e.g. on a rear stand). I'll try to snap a picture of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The R3 only requires regular unleaded gas so 87 octane right? I usually put mid grade 89 octane. It is ONLY required regular unleaded, however, to fill up the R3 with mid grade only costs 20-30 cents more so its a very marginal cost. Plus, I figured if you actually go to redline or even 11,000 RPM mid grade fuel is better because it won't detonate as early like regular gas would. That being said, I switch it up from regular to midgrade from time to time. The only reason why I do is because it is so cheap to do so.

Lots of research and testing shows that if your vehicle does not require premium fuel you would not get additional benefits using it. The difference is with an actual car with a 15-20 gallon tank you will be spending around $3 more if you use regular over premium. Our bikes will only cost 30cents more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Read your manual.

No you don't have to wait after stalling your bike.

Those are some serious noob questions.

Please be safe.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you bought it NEW then read the owners Manuel. If bought used get a Manuel and it will answer all your previous questions. Ride safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts