Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. New to the forum here from SoCal. (southern California). this is my first bike ever. I've never ridden before so teaching myself and so far its been good! I purchased the bike out of nowhere on my birthday (12/04/2015) so it hasn't even been a week and im already in love. I got the red/white one. I hope to learn from these forums and everyone on them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and Happy belated Birthday!!

Where are you at in SoCal? We ride or go to the track practically every weekend. We do beginners rides from the parking lot drill to the canyons in a day as well as wrench nights at our garage in Escondido.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome from England,nice b'day prezzie.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome and be safe as mentioned. Rather than "teach yourself", take a rider course and get professional training. Teaching yourself the wrong way will get you killed.
Thank you. thanks for the good advice. I should have been more detailed when I mentioned "teaching myself". I have only been to an empty parking lot to get the feel for the clutch, gears, braking, and turn signals. I think the bike only has like 5 miles on it from practicing that stuff. I should be registering for the local MSF course at the end of this month.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on your purchase and Happy belated Birthday!!

Where are you at in SoCal? We ride or go to the track practically every weekend. We do beginners rides from the parking lot drill to the canyons in a day as well as wrench nights at our garage in Escondido.
Thank you and thanks! I'm in San Jacinto, close to Hemet. I'm going to have to check that out later on.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you ever make it down to San Diego, there are a lot of rides going on around here, as well as Palomar and a bunch of other spots. Get some miles before doing Palomar though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice! good to know. I cant wait until I take my MSF course and get some miles so I can go to rides and meet other riders

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome you can learn lots of great stuff here. And do not join the 30 day club. Nice bike choice for a beginner to expert. So you have your permit at day 6 from the DMV ? and did they tell you "You can not ride on the Freeway or Hwy and no passengers and no riding at night". Once you complete your MSF course your good too go. You will not have too take the DMV driving in a circle test. I did it and its does't really teach you anything about riding a bike in the real world. You will learn words like your invisible to everyone and look ahead and read peoples minds. Thinking someone may pull out or cut you off at any moment and have a plan and practice. Sometimes slowing down is better then going faster and faster may be better then slower. Decisions will be made in fractions of seconds that could change your life forever so be patient and learn good safe and smart riding. Enjoy your new bike and be safe out there.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Welcome!
Parking lots are excellent places to get a feel for the bike and the MSF course is a good follow-up. Both my sons were introduced to bikes that way.
Practice panic stops, ie; gradually increase intensity of braking each time. Lots of new riders tend to fall over at stops when they have to stop quickly.

Both my sons were too young for a DL when they started, so I had few choices of where they could ride. I ended up taking both of them (with no street experience whatsoever) to my local track and enrolled them in an Advanced Rider Training course. Basically, for the cost of a track day, they got one on one instruction and tons of on-track time. By the end of the day, they were reasonably competent riders - Dad still isn't so thrilled about turning them loose on the street, though.

My standard pitch for new riders is to get some instruction/experience at your local track. Do it early so you have fewer bad habits to un-learn. The skills you pick up in just one track day will exceed years' worth on the street. Those skills can save your butt.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome!
Parking lots are excellent places to get a feel for the bike and the MSF course is a good follow-up. Both my sons were introduced to bikes that way.
Practice panic stops, ie; gradually increase intensity of braking each time. Lots of new riders tend to fall over at stops when they have to stop quickly.

Both my sons were too young for a DL when they started, so I had few choices of where they could ride. I ended up taking both of them (with no street experience whatsoever) to my local track and enrolled them in an Advanced Rider Training course. Basically, for the cost of a track day, they got one on one instruction and tons of on-track time. By the end of the day, they were reasonably competent riders - Dad still isn't so thrilled about turning them loose on the street, though.

My standard pitch for new riders is to get some instruction/experience at your local track. Do it early so you have fewer bad habits to un-learn. The skills you pick up in just one track day will exceed years' worth on the street. Those skills can save your butt.
I still go to the free newbie classes after every session at the track. How can you turn down free information/classroom time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome you can learn lots of great stuff here. And do not join the 30 day club. Nice bike choice for a beginner to expert. So you have your permit at day 6 from the DMV ? and did they tell you "You can not ride on the Freeway or Hwy and no passengers and no riding at night". Once you complete your MSF course your good too go. You will not have too take the DMV driving in a circle test. I did it and its does't really teach you anything about riding a bike in the real world. You will learn words like your invisible to everyone and look ahead and read peoples minds. Thinking someone may pull out or cut you off at any moment and have a plan and practice. Sometimes slowing down is better then going faster and faster may be better then slower. Decisions will be made in fractions of seconds that could change your life forever so be patient and learn good safe and smart riding. Enjoy your new bike and be safe out there.
Thank you! no I do not have my permit yet. I still haven't taken out my bike on the street. My bro in law who rides will take it to the parking lot for me and that's how I get some practice in. I have my written test this Friday coming up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts