Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://youtu.be/3nwbMRI5sII

Note that the first lap I am trying to warm my tires so it's half speed. Also I keep srubbing turn 7, it's a PITA and I have to shift down right before it. I'm still practicing my throttle blipping downshifts. I kept holding throttle while trying to brake, this causes me to run really wide before I can correct it and it's something I'm working on.

Any other thoughts, questions, comments?

·
Registered
433 Posts
welcome to your new addiction! I use to hold the throttle open open sometimes when braking as well, more seat time and practice and you will improve!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just curious, why would you want to hold the throttle open when braking? If you watch the Moto GP guys, they are either on the throttle or on the brakes. Not both at the same time.

One thing I notice, you seem to be pushing really hard. This is making you really jerky and it upsets the bike. On a little bike this is a big deal. Slow down to work on the things you want to. Relax and be smooth.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just curious, why would you want to hold the throttle open when braking?
I don't, I was trying to downshift while braking and my throttle blip turned into throttle + brake.

One thing I notice, you seem to be pushing really hard.

I was trying to catch up to the other guys. It was very hot that day (110+ heat index) and this was the end of the day so I was quite exhausted.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I don't, I was trying to downshift while braking and my throttle blip turned into throttle + brake.
Ahh, I see.

I was trying to catch up to the other guys. It was very hot that day (110+ heat index) and this was the end of the day so I was quite exhausted.
This is a BIG no no. Especially if you are tired. I was doing a track day in similar conditions a couple weeks ago. I made one mistake going into a turn and knew it was time to come off. It was a stupid mistake that I never should have made. First available opportunity I got off the track.

I am guessing that is what happened when you made the run through pit lane. I would have taken that opportunity to get off the track. First and foremost you have to finish the day and not ruin another persons day.

Sorry to be so preachy, but track safety is a big thing for me. Know your physical limits and stick to them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What is that huge bump coming out of the chicane? It takes you off your seat! Braking and blipping is tricky. I got it to where I can middle finger the brake, downshift, blip, but my brake fingers don't squeeze more, it kinda glides on the lever. I'm still braking, but no more pressure during the blip. I don't know how to describe it. Because your fingers follow your hand on the roll. But if you can isolate the brake fingers from your hand when you blip, wow. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh, I see.

This is a BIG no no. Especially if you are tired. I was doing a track day in similar conditions a couple weeks ago. I made one mistake going into a turn and knew it was time to come off. It was a stupid mistake that I never should have made. First available opportunity I got off the track.

I am guessing that is what happened when you made the run through pit lane. I would have taken that opportunity to get off the track. First and foremost you have to finish the day and not ruin another persons day.

Sorry to be so preachy, but track safety is a big thing for me. Know your physical limits and stick to them.
I'm well aware of my physical abilities and when to quit. This is actually my second track day on the R3, but the first I took a half day due to the heat so I don't count it.

I wasn't actually exhausted, unsure of why I actually typed that. I meant more that I wanted to ride with my friends and other people to practice different lines and passing before the day was over. I was more excited than anything, perhaps overly ambitious.

Another big problem I've been seeing is now that my exit speed is higher, my entry into the next corner is getting higher. So where I once was accelerating all the way up to and through the turn, I'm not coasting into the turn with too much speed. I think with time I'll get better at that since it's track specific.

What is that huge bump coming out of the chicane?

That would be turn 4 of the nascar track. Our turn 7 takes us up to turn 3 of the NASCAR track where we leave and take the "goat trail" aka NASCAR pit road, down to the chicane and then we have to go up the banking of the turn. I have stock suspension so it's not bouncing me off the seat, I'm actually standing up right before it to absorb the shock. If I turn harder left once through the chicane there is a patch that is perfectly smooth but it takes me scary close to the barriers of the chicane. I feel more safe taking the bump than hitting the barriers.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just curious, why would you want to hold the throttle open when braking?
never wanted to hold it open on purpose usually under hard braking my right thumb would be rolling the throttle open slightly while pulling in the lever...noobie mistake on my part

1 - 10 of 10 Posts