Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought my R3 and the previous owner bought a Quad Lock. If you've bought one you know that it doesn't really work on an R3. You can either do a bar mount and try to make space, or buy a special ball mount that goes where the triple clamp bolt is. I didn't feel like spending the 60 for the ball mount bolt and quad lock ball mount adapter, so I designed an adapter that worked with a cheapo aluminum bolt I found on ali baba. Turned out beautiful and was under $5, Win Win!!

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
The mount design is nice. Two suggestions:

1.) The bolt holds the top triple clamp in place, and is installed with 65 ft/lbs or torque. I picked up a second OEM bolt from Ebay for $7 and drilled/tapped it to attach a ball to. Stock torque. I don't trust aluminum bolts in this application.
2.) The 3D printed part has the vertical mount boss transition to the bolt mount surface at a layer line. This can cause the vertical section to break away from the mounting surface at that layer transition. If you engineer the part to use a combination of layer directions, you can eliminate any potential failure at that juncture (Red = layers stacked horizontally, Yellow = layers stacked in vertical plane), ABS or ASA plastic, glue with Solvent Adhesive, MEK or Acetone:

Automotive tire Font Art Automotive wheel system Circle

For another approach - This is the arrangement I use, based on the stock bolt, with an aluminum ball mount screwed to it using an 8mm socket head cap screw. I have a lathe, so turned the ball in aluminum, but a 3D printed ball in ASA or ABS would work just as well, since the bolt running through it is carrying the load:

Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great suggestions, I like you had the same idea and wanted to do a DIY and not just buy the $20-$30 triple clamp ball screw that is out there. These are my thoughts, steel is no doubt stronger than aluminum and if I had the tools at hand (drill press and tap) I would've used the OEM screw. The amount of force going through the triple clamp during extreme circumstances isn't anywhere near its breaking strength. And 75 ft/lbs won't deform the threads. Aluminum is used in many applications, so I trust it'll hold. But, it is Chinese, so who knows the quality of it. Definitely can see skepticism from that alone. The different 3d printing technique would be nice, I don't like the idea of having it in two parts though. That would be an easy point of failure. I actually did test the shear at that point and I couldn't get it to break. It actually printed in alternating directions (X and Y). Ideally it would be a resin print and that way it would be essentially what you have shown, but one piece. Thanks for the feedback, being an engineer I love throwing ideas back and forth it keeps the brain thinking and the world running!! I also noticed you have the push handle oriented so that it is pointed directly down, do you have your phone horizontally while riding?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nice work. I am still trying to find out what to do with this...yes I know, janky but it was there when I bought it. View attachment 69957
Ram sells the ball with a 6MM stud (and others to taste). You can drill and tap the stock triple tree bolt and screw the ball with stud onto it. Can be done with hand tools, if you secure the bolt to something to keep it still when drilling.

Another option is to buy the ball for a 10MM x 1.25 bolt, for the left hand clutch lever clamp, where a mirror would mount on an unfaired bike:
Bicycle part Automotive design Camera accessory Vehicle Bicycle

This only works for the left side, as the right side clamp on the brake is reverse thread, and there is not enough room to use a thread adapter to solve that.

This puts the phone to one side, but is convenient enough, and with the 1" to 1" ball adapter, you can shift it to the right a little and eliminate interference with the fairing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts