Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding on the freeway today and while I was in 4th gear, my gear indicator started blinking and then it disappeared. I switched to 5th and it was still blinking, would disappear sometimes, and then the oil light and engine light started to blink a few times. I got back into 4th and made my way off the freeway. Has this happened to anyone, and if so, what does this mean?

I got my oil changed less than a month ago at the mechanic shop at around 4200 miles. Today, I'm at about 5300 miles. I checked my oil and it's very very dirty. I can't believe they would completely lie about doing my oil change (that was the only service I had done), but it's possible. In any case, is there any other explanation for why the oil could get dirty so fast?

This is my first bike. Still learning, so my apologies if these are silly questions.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If the oil level is okay then the first thing I would check is the battery connection and then the battery charge. I've had a loose terminal cause effects like that on other bikes before.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you mean the OIL indicator on the Dash, it will flash at the 1000Km mark to indicate the first Oil Change. You can stop it from flashing by looking at the Manual.

However, the gear indicator disappearing is indeed strange.
Does this happen on all gears or just 4th and 5th?

I would suggest you to take the bike to the dealership and get that checked.
Also, you can replace the Oil yourself if you are confident enough and have the tools.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you mean the OIL indicator on the Dash, it will flash at the 1000Km mark to indicate the first Oil Change. You can stop it from flashing by looking at the Manual.

However, the gear indicator disappearing is indeed strange.
Does this happen on all gears or just 4th and 5th?

I would suggest you to take the bike to the dealership and get that checked.
Also, you can replace the Oil yourself if you are confident enough and have the tools.
It was the actual oil light (also on the dash, but next to the engine light). It wasn't the "OIL" indicator that flashes to remind you that you need an oil change.

It only happened in 4th and 5th gear and it was the first time it has ever happened. It hasn't happened since. I've had really bad luck with dealerships. Every time I go in, I come out with something wrong. I should've done my own oil change, but I didn't have time. Definitely doing my own from now on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts