Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do i even start.

Currently when i start the bike i hear the starter relay make a horrific sound once i try to start it, almost like the relay is sticking. I can get the bike to start after lifting the seat and pulling the relay out of the boot. I would like to mention that the rubber cover for the positive terminal is partially melted.

Once the bike is running the idle is choppy and all the lights flicker including the dash. This goes away once the rpms go up.

May or may not be related, there is a rhythmic noise in the engine at first i thought potential clutch noise or an issue with the pressure plate bearings. I pulled it and replaced but the sound is worse? The old plate was pulled and the old bearings were fine.

At this point I'm completely lost on what any of this could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
It sounds like a loose battery-to-starter relay wire/terminal connection. By moving the relay, you may be moving the connection enough to temporarily work. Any time there is a melted protective shield at a wire/terminal.. the connection is loose enough to generate heat. Disconnect the battery terminals before anything else.. Then remove the relay from if connections, clean the terminals with something abrasive until the ends are clean, then retighten. You may need to replace something if the heat's damaged enough , but hopefully it'll clean up. I'd also recommend recharging the battery while the seat's still up, just to be sure it's fully charged. Worry about finding noises after the bike's starting problem is repaired. Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
1,331 Posts
Let's start with the basics. Are the battery terminals clean (free of any green corrosion) and tight? If so, let's move on to the charge. Make sure it is fully charged using a proper battery charger. If it's old and suspect, replace it.

Next, because that terminal was a bit melted, we should trace and check ALL of the wiring to make sure it hasn't been similarly damaged.

Electronics are very sensitive to heat so your relay or other components may have been damaged.

Now, when you say the idle is choppy and the light flicker, that leads me to believe that your charging system has been compromised somehow.

It's at this point that I would suggest if you don't have the skills to diagnose the problem (you'd need a multi meter and a lot of patience), you should take it to a trusted mechanic. Perhaps at a Yamaha dealer.

Good luck, post back what happened so we all know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts