Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would an R3 be okay to ride from FL to Nebraska and back? My friend has a wedding and if I can get my bike before then I'd love to ride their

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The bike will do it just fine. If it's a brand new bike I don't know if I would want to do a long ride across states before break in. Vary those RPMs. If it's a new rider, I would also suggest not doing that. Long distance riding, especially for new riders can be really fatiguing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike will do it just fine. If it's a brand new bike I don't know if I would want to do a long ride across states before break in. Vary those RPMs. If it's a new rider, I would also suggest not doing that. Long distance riding, especially for new riders can be really fatiguing.

Thanks for the speedy reply ^.^ will only take it then if it's broken in and I have a little bit of time under my belt

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you've never took a long trip on a bike before, I'd recommend a test trip. Maybe try to do a 400 mile day and see how it feels. A bike may seem comfortable riding on short trips, but having several long distance days back to back is different.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am not sure how fun it would be.

Bike is a twin. It vibrates a bit more
also to be cruising at 75 mph+ you will be in 6th gear and revving a lot.

backpack or luggage?

Wind shear is going to wear on you.

Ergos are a bit more comfortable than a sportbike in stock form with raised clipons and factory rearsets.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Would an R3 be okay to ride from FL to Nebraska and back? My friend has a wedding and if I can get my bike before then I'd love to ride their

That sounds like a terrible idea. I don't think I'd want to make that trip in any vehicle other than a plane lol...certainly not on an R3! The R3 is not a touring bike. 200 miles and you're going to want to turn back. That's a looooong way to go.

Where in Nebraska are you going? I live in Nebraska.

Reactions: tdunster

·
Registered
542 Posts
This bike is perfectly capable of doing a ride like that. It's just a matter of whether you are. Cover a few hundred miles in a day and get a feel for the bike before deciding to set off on that trip.

Know your limits, and have a backup plan in case weather goes south or you have bike problems.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Like everyone else has said, the bike can do it, but holy **** is it uncomfortable on long highway stretches. I can do 1.5-2hrs max before needing to stop before my knees are broken, we rode 4hrs to the beach one way and back while hanging out at the beach. It was a very very long day, and I was hurting for quite a few days, definitely not a comfortable touring bike.... Now if you upgraded the seat and went a little higher it may be way more comfy, wind still sucks though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes I'm sure it would or if you get one of those pads, the problem for me is my knees bend too much I think and it causes them to hurt after touring a bit. So anything that makes the seat more comfortable and probably raises you a little bit would help with touring (it could just be I have terrible knees and I'm not 20 anymore lol).

·
Registered
346 Posts
The pads are generally universal, but there's a few custom made one's for the R3 that Anunaki (don't think it's gel) and one other place makes (actually gel) that are highly regarded here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do long trips on mine all the time. I did 7 hours one day to Knoxville and back for a Suzuki demo day.

It's true that after about an hour and a half on the stock seat you'll want a stretch break. It usually times well with needing gas so you can just stretch at the gas station. You could look into getting a touring windshield to get some of the wind off you. I'm still on the stock one but the wind never get's that bad honestly. Also get some sort of cruise control to save your wrist. It'll make a huge difference in overall comfort. Other than that just enjoy the ride!

I have a tank bag and saddle bags that I use when taking long trips. Already at 8,000 miles and still on my first year of owning this bike.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I do long trips on mine all the time. I did 7 hours one day to Knoxville and back for a Suzuki demo day.

It's true that after about an hour and a half on the stock seat you'll want a stretch break. It usually times well with needing gas so you can just stretch at the gas station. You could look into getting a touring windshield to get some of the wind off you. I'm still on the stock one but the wind never get's that bad honestly. Also get some sort of cruise control to save your wrist. It'll make a huge difference in overall comfort. Other than that just enjoy the ride!

I have a tank bag and saddle bags that I use when taking long trips. Already at 8,000 miles and still on my first year of owning this bike.
**** 8k miles already! Impressive!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

That's awesome man!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I say do the trip.

Is it the best bike for it? No, of course not. But if you're in decent physical condition you'll be fine. I've ridden non-touring bikes (R6, WR250R) on fairly long trips and had a **** of a good time.

Plus, you'll have a story to tell after you're home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts