Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode for about 10miles in the hot afternoon, upon reaching home with the engine still running, i noticed a thin flim of foam/bubbles on the engine oil from the side glass panel.

Turned the engine off and let it cool for a few minutes, leveled the bike and checked again, the engine oil level is just a hair off the top marking, clear brown with no signs of the foam/bubbles previously.

Did an 2L yamalube oil change without changing the oil filter 120miles before.

Is it a cause for worry?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
2 liters is about right if you change the filter. Since you did not, you are overfilled - thus some foaming. You want the oil level to be right around the center of the sight glass (top of sight glass is overfilled). Drain a little out (or siphon it out of filler tube). You should be OK, it's unlikely you caused any damage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Two questions.

Is the bike level? Straight up and down, not on the kickstand.

Why are you checking the oil with the engine running? I can't see oil in the sight glass with the engine running, only when it is off so my assumption is that as stated above you are over filled and that is from the crank churning the oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two questions.

Is the bike level? Straight up and down, not on the kickstand.

Why are you checking the oil with the engine running? I can't see oil in the sight glass with the engine running, only when it is off so my assumption is that as stated above you are over filled and that is from the crank churning the oil.
yup, its leveled, but i guess its tilting a little more to the right as im sitting on it and taking a photo of the oil level.

the foam is only there when the engine is still running after a ride

·
Registered
271 Posts
You need to let the bike sit for an hour with the engine off. Then take a wood wedge or similar item and put it under the kickstand until the bike is upright, level. Be careful, don't let the bike fall over! THEN with the engine still off, take your picture and let's see where your oil level is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yup, its leveled, but i guess its tilting a little more to the right as im sitting on it and taking a photo of the oil level.

the foam is only there when the engine is still running after a ride
It's hard to get it perfectly straight, but make sure to check it with the engine off. My method is to set it on the kickstand, go to the right side of the bike, then you can use whatever is comfortable for you to pull it straight up. I use the strap on the passenger seat myself. It only needs to sit for a few minutes, maybe five to ten, and at that point see where the level is. The reason I do it that way is that it's easier than sitting on the bike since you can stop it from falling right and if it goes left the kickstand is down.

Foam in the oil isn't desired, and I'm pretty sure this is only due to being over full.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Even my arms are long enough to hold the bike upright by the right handgrip while squatting low enough to see the sight glass (side stand down as a starting point, and in case of slippery fingers).

I haven't looked to see how much putting the bike on the rear stand affects the oil level in the sight glass. Anyone know off the top of their head?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Does anyone else get the irony that the oil fill amount is printed on the case next to the sight glass?
A quick refresh:
Dry engine and new filter: 2.3 - 2.4 liters
Oil change with new filter: 2 liters
Oil change without changing filter: 1.8 liters.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I checked my oil level this morning after the bike was sitting all night. I put a wedge under the kickstand to bring the bike perfectly upright, using a bubble level on top of the gas tank. The oil level was at the halfway mark. I then rode it for about 45 minutes with some highway riding, 60 to 70mph. When I got home, the sight glass looked similar to the second pic on page one of this thread, some bubbles present. Engine was off. So, maybe this engine churns up the oil more than some other bikes. Again, my overnight oil level was just at halfway. Engine has Yamalube conventional 10W-40 in it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Even my arms are long enough to hold the bike upright by the right handgrip while squatting low enough to see the sight glass (side stand down as a starting point, and in case of slippery fingers).

I haven't looked to see how much putting the bike on the rear stand affects the oil level in the sight glass. Anyone know off the top of their head?

Don't try adding oil while on a rear spool stand, I added to much oil and ended up draining almost half a qt! I did figure out a better way to use the spool stand without lifting up the bike but to help balance it. Doing my second change this week and switching to Mobil 1 10-40 racing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So, maybe this engine churns up the oil more than some other bikes.
That was true of the '90s vintage Kawasaki ZX6E (ZZR600 outside the USA). I was concerned at first when mine foamed its oil, but it turned out it was a known characteristic of that engine. Totaled it at 29K miles, sigh, so no idea if it affected engine life at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.