Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, I'm looking to part with a used GPR V4 steering damper/stabilizer. This unit is used, but in good shape as pictured. I would recommend sending it in to be serviced with new oil and a new seal as it is showing some fluid around the seal. This service is handled by GPR directly for $35 + shipping. It can be ran as-is, but they recommend getting it serviced before every season.

I picked up a different damper, so I'm parting ways with this one. Because of the "need" for service, I am selling it for $230 shipped anywhere in the 48 US states. Please note, this is the damper only - no mounting hardware included.

Call/text is best at (605) 809-85four4. Message or pm is okay too, but may take longer for a reply. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
What are using instead? Good luck on the sale. That is a pretty good deal. I just got my Ohlins SD, and a Dimotiv mount. I am using the Dimotiv instead of the preferred Graves because of the necessary mods, which I am trying to avoid, but have to now figure out where my Ram mount will go. Ugh.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are using instead? Good luck on the sale. That is a pretty good deal. I just got my Ohlins SD, and a Dimotiv mount. I am using the Dimotiv instead of the preferred Graves because of the necessary mods, which I am trying to avoid, but have to now figure out where my Ram mount will go. Ugh.
Thanks for the good words. I've heard good things about the Ohlins stabilizers too, but never used them personally. HyperPro is what I used on my race bike last year, and I was really pleased with it. I think there's another guy on the forum that was curious about what mount alternatives there are for the Ohlins stabilizers. I will try to shoot him your way.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Why are you selling it? Didn't you just post a "want to buy mounting hardware for this" thread a few days ago? lol

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why are you selling it? Didn't you just post a "want to buy mounting hardware for this" thread a few days ago? lol
Haha great catch. Yes, I'm still looking for the mounting hardware too. I have two of the GPR V4 dampers, one that was recently rebuilt, so I have no need for this one. I also have one of the Scott's Performance replica dampers as well. That's what's currently mounted on the bike.

I think the replica one will still do trick, if I don't find the mounting hardware for the GPR. But if I had my choice, I would prefer to use the GPR and then I can sell the Scott's replica one.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Haha great catch. Yes, I'm still looking for the mounting hardware too. I have two of the GPR V4 dampers, one that was recently rebuilt, so I have no need for this one. I also have one of the Scott's Performance replica dampers as well. That's what's currently mounted on the bike.

I think the replica one will still do trick, if I don't find the mounting hardware for the GPR. But if I had my choice, I would prefer to use the GPR and then I can sell the Scott's replica one.
Ah I see.

Did you happen to check with GPR to see how much the mounting hardware is for the R3?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ah I see.

Did you happen to check with GPR to see how much the mounting hardware is for the R3?
When I emailed them late last year, it was $180.
I have emailed them and called. It's $150 + $15 shipping. My hope is to find one used to avoid spending $165 just for the mount.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
****! That's a lot for mounting hardware. And I thought the Graves kit for Ohlins damper was expensive at 100-120 bucks (can't remember exactly).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have emailed them and called. It's $150 + $15 shipping. My hope is to find one used to avoid spending $165 just for the mount.
Interesting. The quote they gave me was 150 for the mount and 30 for a new arm. Not sure why he told me i needed a new arm and you not. Either way, still $$$$.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
****! That's a lot for mounting hardware. And I thought the Graves kit for Ohlins damper was expensive at 100-120 bucks (can't remember exactly).
Yes, $100 shipped is what I'm hoping to spend. Lol

Interesting. The quote they gave me was 150 for the mount and 30 for a new arm. Not sure why he told me i needed a new arm and you not. Either way, still $$$$.
Hmmmm. I'm not sure why that would be either. Maybe the stabilizer you already have was the long arm version? I think they make two arm sizes - one short & one long.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Hmmmm. I'm not sure why that would be either. Maybe the stabilizer you already have was the long arm version? I think they make two arm sizes - one short & one long.
I don't even have one lol. I was just hoping to save some cash and grab one from a different bike but alas, I decided to buy other things haha

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I don't even have one lol. I was just hoping to save some cash and grab one from a different bike but alas, I decided to buy other things haha
Lol, fair enough. I didn't realize what kind of money pit I've got myself into. The Ninja was pretty much "good to go" right out of the box. This R3 us pretty well set too, but the little add-ons are nickel and dime-ing me left and right.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Have you mounted this? Also, where is your ram mount? I have a GPS mount I mentioned in the gps thread and it mounts to the steering stem bolt. I'm now looking to get a steering damper but want to keep my gps/phone mount as that is what I use for my camera/gps for the track. My thoughts were to mount under the stay.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Have you mounted this? Also, where is your ram mount? I have a GPS mount I mentioned in the gps thread and it mounts to the steering stem bolt. I'm now looking to get a steering damper but want to keep my gps/phone mount as that is what I use for my camera/gps for the track. My thoughts were to mount under the stay.
Yeah I mounted it. I'll take pics. The Graves mount is cool but requires modification of the steering stay. I mounted in the "traditional" position-at the top of the gas tank bolt with a Dimotiv mount. Technically I think the steering damper is less useful here, but this is the route I chose. When mounted underneath with the Graves, I think the feel and damping will be more precise. I fabricated a double sided bolt with a middle nut to screw in the gas tank bolt to fasten down the gas tank cover and to mount my ram mount, but with the Dimotiv mount and Ohlins steering damper, I had to 86 the ram mount there. I have a fancy pants steering stem bolt so I didn't want to remove it. I already bought an anodized aluminum triple tree cover/protector that I had to remove to install the steering damper. It spaced an area between the triple tree clamp and clip-ons that prevented installing the Ohlins. So I had to buy the huge bear claw Ram Mount to remount my Ram Mount-it's a lot higher and less stable now, but at least I can still mount my phone. It was really the only recourse I had. I'll have to post pics to show everything that I explained because it might not all be clear from my wording.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yeah I mounted it. I'll take pics. The Graves mount is cool but requires modification of the steering stay. I mounted in the "traditional" position-at the top of the gas tank bolt with a Dimotiv mount. Technically I think the steering damper is less useful here, but this is the route I chose. When mounted underneath with the Graves, I think the feel and damping will be more precise. I fabricated a double sided bolt with a middle nut to screw in the gas tank bolt to fasten down the gas tank cover and to mount my ram mount, but with the Dimotiv mount and Ohlins steering damper, I had to 86 the ram mount there. I have a fancy pants steering stem bolt so I didn't want to remove it. I already bought an anodized aluminum triple tree cover/protector that I had to remove to install the steering damper. It spaced an area between the triple tree clamp and clip-ons that prevented installing the Ohlins. So I had to buy the huge bear claw Ram Mount to remount my Ram Mount-it's a lot higher and less stable now, but at least I can still mount my phone. It was really the only recourse I had. I'll have to post pics to show everything that I explained because it might not all be clear from my wording.
Pics would be appreciated.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Pics would be appreciated.
@Kojiiro Done.

Aren't the greatest pics as I did them hastily, and frankly should've taken more as they don't do it justice, but you get the idea.

What are you planning? Any preferences on the route or type?

I purchased this titanium color aluminum triple tree cover however, it has rings on either side that go under the clip-ons raising them. Therefore, the effect was that the actual steering damper did not match up with the mount bracket which screws into the clip-on screw hole.

I think it made the triple tree look a lot cleaner and protected the easily scratchable surface. Sucks, but it was either keep the cover or mount the damper. The R3 is very light and nimble due to its size, so the steering is overly light as you know, and I think it is almost compulsory to have a damper on it. High speed shakes, wobbles, or even slow quick steering twitches cause one to over compensate so it really helps with the feel, the steering, and safety IMHO. Either mount will cost about the same. The Graves keeps it out of sight, proteced, and probably is a "truer" damping motion, if you will, but although this was my second choice, it worked out except for keeping the cover. Hope this helped!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
@Kojiiro Done.

Aren't the greatest pics as I did them hastily, and frankly should've taken more as they don't do it justice, but you get the idea.

What are you planning? Any preferences on the route or type?
I would prefer under the fairing stay to minimize clutter on the dash area/ front portion of the bike. Your set up could work for me since it appears the steering stem bolt would be unobstructed for me to put my bolt in, which helps hold my phone holder (that acts as a data logger for now). Only problem is I don't want that much clutter up there and that it uses a stock clip on configuration. I need something that bolts to the fork leg since I won't be using stock clip ons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts