Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded to either forged magnesium or carbon fiber wheels for their R3? It doesn't look like anyone makes them specifically for it, that I can find. However, Oz has forged magnesium wheels that are used on the Moto3 bikes that would probably work. They would just be smaller than the stock size. Does anyone happen to have any experience with those or anything similar?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Most people, ( if not ALL people ), would probably NOT be interested in putting a set of $5,000 wheels on a $5,000 motorcycle.

Myself included. Cuz i'm just cheap like that. :laugh:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Most people, ( if not ALL people ), would probably NOT be interested in putting a set of $5,000 wheels on a $5,000 motorcycle.

Myself included. Cuz i'm just cheap like that. :laugh:
Yeah totally. I've spent like $4500-5000 in parts already including my $450 Scorpio Ride/Secure alarm/telemetric data unit. The only reason I have no problem putting a $900 rear shock on the R3 is suspension is a great and safe upgrade; but it's nearly 20% of the retail price of the bike.

But the price of the R3 is what makes it desirable. You have a lot of ability to upgrade the suspension, exhaust, brakes, etc. If you spend $12K on a CBR600RR or ZX-6R, one would likely have less ability or incentive to upgrade a lot although there are less things to upgrade ostensibly.

I love my R3, but just wish it had a little more umph. I wonder if a 400cc P-Twin would make much of a differences the CBR500 isn't rated that much higher in bhp. I am not an engine guru, but also wonder if an Inline4 is viable in a smaller cc engine. My problem is that I definitely do not want a 750-1000. I have always been a 600 rider. However, current 600s are either too race oriented (ZX6R, CBR600RR) or the "Sport" types middle weights like the CBR650F, Ninja600, CBR500, FZ600R, etc are flawed in their own way.

But I digress. I talk and write too much...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah totally. I've spent like $4500-5000 in parts already including my $450 Scorpio Ride/Secure alarm/telemetric data unit. The only reason I have no problem putting a $900 rear shock on the R3 is suspension is a great and safe upgrade; but it's nearly 20% of the retail price of the bike.

But the price of the R3 is what makes it desirable. You have a lot of ability to upgrade the suspension, exhaust, brakes, etc. If you spend $12K on a CBR600RR or ZX-6R, one would likely have less ability or incentive to upgrade a lot although there are less things to upgrade ostensibly.

I love my R3, but just wish it had a little more umph. I wonder if a 400cc P-Twin would make much of a differences the CBR500 isn't rated that much higher in bhp. I am not an engine guru, but also wonder if an Inline4 is viable in a smaller cc engine. My problem is that I definitely do not want a 750-1000. I have always been a 600 rider. However, current 600s are either too race oriented (ZX6R, CBR600RR) or the "Sport" types middle weights like the CBR650F, Ninja600, CBR500, FZ600R, etc are flawed in their own way.

But I digress. I talk and write too much...
I'm considering a Japanese market bike now: It's a Kawasaki 250cc inline four cylinder that makes 40hp at the rear wheel. 21,000 rpm redline!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Galespeed rims can be had for $2100 a set, expensive, but the reduction in unsprung weight makes them better bang for the buck than most exhaust/fuel mgt. mods. Plus you can put stock wheels back on and sell the rims for decent coin

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm considering a Japanese market bike now: It's a Kawasaki 250cc inline four cylinder that makes 40hp at the rear wheel. 21,000 rpm redline!
If it is the one on the WERA forum I would ask why there is a different swingarm on it in the for sale pics and the on track pics.

The "new" swingarm is paintend rattle can black. Just males me wonder about it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is soon 2016 or 2017? Definitely looking for some lighter wheels. BST would be nice...

Reactions: SpearsRacing
1 - 9 of 9 Posts