Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to financial difficulty can only upgrade 1 at a time so which of the two would give the most improvement in handling and ride feel change the fork first or the shock? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I would do the forks first. You can currently get ohlins for like 625 iirc. That's how much mine were from HR a while back.

Shocks vary in range and while you are waiting on the funds for your shock upgrade you can be looking for deals.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would probably do the opposite to @Kojiiro , I would replace the rear shock. For a couple of dollars (~$20) you could replace the fork oil with heavier and more oil and add a couple of washers (spacers) for a bit more preload- this would be no where near as good as a cartridge kit but would be a step in the right direction

·
Registered
517 Posts
For the rough roads that I ride, the fork action had to be repaired first. If you are only riding manicured paved roads, then possibly you could get by doing the shock first and thicker oil in the forks. Either way, your suspension is going to be out of sync so my solution would be to wait and do both at the same time to get the suspension effect you want. Repairing one without the other is a sideways move.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
is this necessary? is the stock suspension that bad?
No, it's not necessary. I've had bikes with good working suspension though, so I am picky. I also commute, hit the twisties and track days on my bike. I can't buy a dedicated track bike so my Current bike has to do everything. The money spent on my suspension is worth it for me. It will be for a lot of people and for others it won't be. Just don't have the assumption that if you are just commuting in it, it will all of a sudden handle terrible because it's not an upgraded cartridge kit. I will say though that weather you have cartridges or a basic damper rod fork, it's always good to have the correct springs for your weight, correct preload and sag set up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey man
from experience ,shock first! there are some simple and cheap things you can do to the forks to make them feel good.

Due to shipping issues my emulator kit was not delivered on time, I had the ohlins shock installed but forks stock and a track event coming.

I had some fz07 springs (stock but stiffer) and some 20w oil and threw em in the forks and rode at VIR the next day. I had no front end issues, if you want the springs from the fz07 youll just need to cut some spacers but no big deal. I'd be glad to send you my fz07 springs for the cost of shipping..

PM me

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Apex,

I don't have the post count to send a PM so I'm posting here. I'm a new R3 owner and I saw your offer to send out the FZ-07 springs. I did my first track day at The Ridge last weekend and what a blast it was. I weigh 210 and fork was diving badly on braking and fairly unstable in the corners but I don't have any cash for upgrades right now. If the OP doesn't contact you do you think you could ship them my way, I'd be happy to pay for shipping. Let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got a damper rod kit w/ springs/ Norton race spec. shock from Jesse at www.yamahar3racing.com
$824.95 w/ free shipping. Set up for your weight and riding style.
Takes a little work to install but it is worth it.
If you have a limited budget, these are the way to go.

btw, I don't work for Jesse.

Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got a damper rod kit w/ springs/ Norton race spec. shock from Jesse at www.yamahar3racing.com
$824.95 w/ free shipping. Set up for your weight and riding style.
Takes a little work to install but it is worth it.
If you have a limited budget, these are the way to go.

btw, I don't work for Jesse.

Doug
I ordered the same kit from Jesse. Can't wait to get the new suspension. Signed up for my first Race Academy session out by my local track for the end of August. So hopefully I get the suspension delivered and installed in time :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I wanted the Traxxion kit and Nortonfab rear shock, but budget issues popped up so I picked up a Ninja 650 rear shock and I'm about to order new springs and oil for the front.
The Ninja 650 shock isn't awesome, but definitely stiffer and cheap. I think with shipping it was $50. It also raises the rear end about an inch, which highlighted the weak front end a bit more. New springs and oil from Sonic Springs will run about $100 + shipping, but I'll need to make spacers. No problem.
I'm currently just over 200lbs before gear, so main task is to get a setup for my weight. I'll ride that for a bit then decide further. I'm trying to decide whether to turn the R3 into a track/race bike and get a middleweight naked for street, or put my R3 back to stock riding position for street and get a bigger bike for track.
This keeps the upgrades inexpensive while I decide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts