Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Forks feel softer

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  KimmyR3 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I'm not sure if I am just over thinking it, but I have 10,000kms (6200 miles) on my R3 and the forks seem like they are softer than when I purchased it in the fall (put 3000 miles on it). When I am coming to a stop it feels like the front end is dipping in more, and when I am aggressively accelerating that the front end is coming up more. Am I just getting used to the bike and thinking more about whats going on with the machine now? The last couple times I have taken the bike out it was sitting in 30+C (90+F) in the sun....maybe that would play a factor in it feeling softer? I don't think I would need to repack the forks at this mileage yet.
Anyone else notice this? Or is it just my imagination?! LOL!

#4 ·
Sounds about right. Fluid and seals should be replaced every 2 years. ****, my bike had only 417 miles when I opened up the forks and the fluid looked like ****...I put fresh fluid and seals in it when I installed the damper kit.

But yeah, fluid will degrade over time and with use. But if it's really noticeable difference it would have to be some sort of leak.

#6 ·
It's not just you - you described perfectly my experience with mine. Maybe it's just the red/white ones...
I'm getting the fluid replaced next week at the next service. I saw a youtube video of someone showing their fork oil at 6,000km and it was hideous. You're at 10k, I'm at 12k, and I'm sure we're both due for a refresh.

#10 · (Edited)
Let me know what fork fluid you end up using and how the forks feel after the service has been performed. I will call up my mechanic Adrian at Ace Moto Tech in Milton to see how much he quotes for the service. I am bringing my bike in for a 10,00km service in a week or 2, so he may as well do the forks while its there.
Thanks!

#7 ·
I changed out the OEM upon the first 600 miles and it came out like mop water. I don´t know your annual mileage but I change out fork fluid at least once a year and use a good synthetic replacement. To rid the forks of nose dive, I went with Ricor Intiminators designed for a BMW F650 Dakar. Removed the wimpy stock .66 fork springs, and bumped up to .80 Race tech and could not be happier. Good luck, its a great bike but the suspension is little on the wimpy side.

#8 ·
Thank you for sharing that! I've looked around the internet to find out what the stock spring rate is in the forks for these bikes with no success. This is the first time I've seen the 0.66 value.

#12 ·
The forks (bushings) break-in with use; so you can expect less friction with age. If the seals are holding up, then just make an oil change but you should always look over the 2 sets of bushings to note their condition. one set is at the end of the fork tubes, the other set is tapped into place at the top of the fork lower.

Jerry

#14 ·
has anyone tried using 15W on the forks? The stock forks has that extra compression stroke when you try to work it so I thought a heavier oil would or could fix the issue.

I have also contemplated on getting a proper cartridge set for my forks but thought of asking first as spending $600 vs $50 is worthwhile. Thanks whoever is answering. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.