Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I know a lot of people want better suspension on these bikes.
Luckily I have a local race shop KFG Racing that knew which springs to works with the bike.

There were two available options in terms of springs. GP Suspension and Ohlins. I had to go Ohlins because the lowest spring rate on the GP suspension was 0.90 and I needed 0.85(I weigh 155lbs). If I knew the part number I probably would have searched online and got them there instead of paying retail + 9.2% tax and $15 shipping.... But oh well now you guys can find better prices hopefully.
So here's the info I have on them, the pictures are in my blog.

Ohlins Spring are 258 mm long
Ohlins Part number 04744-Spring rate, so mine is 04744-85
OEM Springs are 298mm long
Spacers are 230mm long

I haven't finished the suspension yet due to time, but I will need to get PVC pipe and cut it to 270mm long for everything to be right.

I did try to ride it around the block with the shorter spacer just to see the difference and it already felt tremendous.

http://rkoracing.tumblr.com/post/119863100121/so-the-latest-update-i-did-in-the-process-of

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally made spacers for the forks.
Had to buy a 1 inch PVC pipe and cut it to 270mm long. Now I feel like the bike sits a little too high up front. I forgot to measure the original spring height of the bike. Probably due to the stiffer spring. I might cut some more at 260mm as well as lower the front.
I'll determine that Monday since I'll be heading to a track day to test it

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Had to buy a 1 inch PVC pipe and cut it to 270mm long. Now I feel like the bike sits a little too high up front. I forgot to measure the original spring height of the bike. Probably due to the stiffer spring. I might cut some more at 260mm as well as lower the front.
Cutting the new spacer 40mm longer to make up for the "lost" space from the OEM spacer is a starting point, but you will actually need to cut the spacer to set the fork spring preload to your body weight.

Because you needed lighter weight springs due to your lighter body weight, you will likely need less preload. Try the original spacers, too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cutting the new spacer 40mm longer to make up for the "lost" space from the OEM spacer is a starting point, but you will actually need to cut the spacer to set the fork spring preload to your body weight.

Because you needed lighter weight springs due to your lighter body weight, you will likely need less preload. Try the original spacers, too.
I tried the original spacers but I thought it was too short. I am new to this also. With the old spacer the cap won't make contact with the spacer unless it's off the stand. It lowered the front end quite a bit too. It should at least make contact when the fork is unloaded/unsprung ight?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yes, it should make contact and at least minimal compression of the spring when the fork is unloaded. The spacer length is what'll set your sag, so spacer lengths will be different for different weight riders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts