Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

So I was tinkering with the R3 today and noticed some rust forming underneath my triple tree (I think it's called that?)

Any advise/recommendations to cleaning it up and or getting rid of it?

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I'd love to see some pics if it's at all possible but rust can be fairly easy to get rid of as long as it hasn't gotten out of hand.
Magic eraser, scotch brite, a little polish, clar bar... It depends on where it is, how bad it's gotten, and what type of surface we're dealing with that will determine the best remedy.

Just curious... do you store your bike outside? I'm fortunate enough to have a garage and haven't seen a spot of rust yet (knock on wood)

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first post. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd love to see some pics if it's at all possible but rust can be fairly easy to get rid of as long as it hasn't gotten out of hand.
Magic eraser, scotch brite, a little polish, clar bar... It depends on where it is, how bad it's gotten, and what type of surface we're dealing with that will determine the best remedy.

Just curious... do you store your bike outside? I'm fortunate enough to have a garage and haven't seen a spot of rust yet (knock on wood)

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first post. :)
Thanks for the welcome!

And to answer some of your questions, my bike is always stored in the garage and never ridden in the rain. Hence why I was a little apprehensive of the rust when I saw it.

I'd like to see it too. If it isn't too advanced, a little oil (WD40) will probably take care of it.
It does only look like surface rust, But surface rust generally forms into more serious rust if not attended to.

Heres a photo

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah - interesting. I'm guessing this is surface rust that formed because of the ambient humidity in the air. Reason you got it (and I'd be willing to bet most bikes have it), is that the paint doesn't get in those areas very well. I would lightly sand it off, then apply some rust paint on there by hand and you'd be good to go.
Thanks for your input, what kind of rust paint would you recommend?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I wouldn't paint,

Top triple made of Ally, bottom of steel, brackets are seel, forks are chrome plating.
If you're getting rust, corrosion, oxidation in those areas it will spread like Herpes.
Something is wrong with your cleaning procedure.

Not sure if you get it in the USA, but Lannox MX4.
I clean my bike with it. everything bar brake discs and tyres.
made from Lanolin (sheep) so nothing will ever rust.
good for your hands too.
Even my cad plated factory bolts are still showroom shiny, better in fact and always will be as I did them from new before riding.

$75 for 4 litres will last a few years.
US may have a cheaper alternative?

If WD40 is the Daewoo of penetrants, this is the Rolls Royce.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't paint,

Top triple made of Ally, bottom of steel, brackets are seel, forks are chrome plating.
If you're getting rust, corrosion, oxidation in those areas it will spread like Herpes.
Something is wrong with your cleaning procedure.

Not sure if you get it in the USA, but Lannox MX4.
I clean my bike with it. everything bar brake discs and tyres.
made from Lanolin (sheep) so nothing will ever rust.
good for your hands too.
Even my cad plated factory bolts are still showroom shiny, better in fact and always will be as I did them from new before riding.

$75 for 4 litres will last a few years.
US may have a cheaper alternative?

If WD40 is the Daewoo of penetrants, this is the Rolls Royce.
I'm not based in America. I live in Queensland, Australia :).

Living where I do also doesn't help (10 minutes from the beach).

I'll see if I can source the stuff you recommended in Australia.

Otherwise I'll make a trip down to my local car shop and look for some kind of rust killer that I can apply by hand and not from an aerosol can.

·
Registered
856 Posts

Otherwise I'll make a trip down to my local car shop and look for some kind of rust killer that I can apply by hand and not from an aerosol can.

It will neutralise the rust that's there.
test it on your car's wishbones, or similar
a few week later black and new looking.
wont harm paint, rubber, seals, orings, or plastic.
Use nice rags, it goes a long way.
400g spray can about $12 from Supercheap or Bunnings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will neutralise the rust that's there.
test it on your car's wishbones, or similar
a few week later black and new looking.
wont harm paint, rubber, seals, orings, or plastic.
Use nice rags, it goes a long way.
400g spray can about $12 from Supercheap or Bunnings.
It's owned by the same company as Inox correct? I have a can of inox in my garage, would it do the same thing as lanox?

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts

That's what I figured. Since this is UNDER the triple clamp, my guess based on looking at my bike is that the paint on there is just very thin (as in maybe one coat). It's like a car part - the paint is purely cosmetic and not designed to give it any kind of long term durability (because the part is so thick). And because you live so close to the beach, the ambient salty air is prematurely corroding the underside of this part. The parts that are indented would also have gotten less paint at the factory (unless they dipped it).

Having said that, the recommendation to 'kill the rust' is a good one. However, I would still suggest painting it. We use Tremclad / Rustoleum here in Canada, not sure if you can get that in Australia or not. But I'm sure if you go to any automotive parts store or hardware store they will have something you can apply. The idea is that it's preventative - and since its in an out of the way place no one will know except you. If you really don't want to do that, just slather a bunch of grease or car wax on that area and the will help repel the moisture.

While you're at it, you might want to look at the underside of your frame as it's fairly exposed too. Pay attention to the joints.

Good luck

·
Registered
856 Posts
@Interlopr I see what you're talking about now,
its the lower triple clamp, not painted very well from factory. (Understatement)

Needs a nice covering of VHT Satin Black engine enamel.
But big job,
I'm going to wait till I fit all balls tapered roller headset bearings and give the forks some attention.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Interlopr I see what you're talking about now,
its the lower triple clamp, not painted very well from factory. (Understatement)

Needs a nice covering of VHT Satin Black engine enamel.
But big job,
I'm going to wait till I fit all balls tapered roller headset bearings and give the forks some attention.
Yeh the lower one, the one you see when you look up toward your radiator :)

I'm heading to an automotive place tomorrow to see if I can get my hands on some matte black kill rust or something along those lines.

I'll sand it a bit and apply with a brush to keep it neat :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
I checked mine yesterday, no rust! Must be the salty air in your area.

Cant be sure but it looks like its painted on the assembly line after the ABS brake line junction is fitted, or possibly the horn and bracket, (my horn is removed so cant be sure, but there's no paint under the triple.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts