Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Weekend update!

I mounted and torqued the forks back on to the triple trees, taking care to leave the stock amount of room above the top triple (using the old stock clip ons as a measuring stick). I also received the Graves steering damper mount, and mounted what i could (essentially only fork clamp) during the triple re-install. Looking at the rest of the kit, I found that I’ll need to modify (i.e. cut off the welded on nuts) the stock cluster bracket for the damper kit to be mounted properly… then on to find a reasonably priced gently used damper!

In other news since the rear of the bike was pretty well sorted, I noticed a couple things. After bleeding the rear brake, the pedal was returning DIRECTLY against the Vortex base bracket. It also had some mildly unnerving play at the hinge pin of the pedal and rear master cylinder. I ended up doing two things… 1) adjusting the master cylinder shaft to "start" higher, which eliminated the contact between the pedal and the rearset base bracket, and 2) making a shim from a soda can to have the hinge pin fit the Vortex pedal hole a bit tighter, removing the play. This is obviously VERY picky, but now the pedal will start moving fluid PRECISELY when you touch it, rather than having 1/4-3/8" of dead movement as before.

I moved on after that, dying to hear this sucker run, so… installed the muffler can for the Spark exhaust, filled the young lady with ~2.2L of oil (5w-40 synthetic), then flushed and refilled the radiator/cooling system with Liquid Performance glycol-free coolant (thanks @GoFaster !). Made a nice hard foam spacer block for, and installed the, fancy Antigravity ATZ-7 Li-Ion battery. Go time!

She fired right up… exhaust has a nice note, not stupid loud w/ dB killer inserted, but healthy when goosed. Quick video (don‘t mind the tomfoolery)


Moving on next to the aforementioned cluster bracket hacking, and front wheel (reinstalling bearings, axle, new brake shoes, bleeding, etc. Progress pics below!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
So over the past 3 weeks, I‘ve hit some snags, but have continued to make progress despite some challenges.

Firstly, ran into a front brake issue that baffled me. I rebuilt the front brake caliper thinking that was it, but it wasn’t (however upon disassembly, was glad I did it anyway). I wont bore you with pictures, suffice to say that the pistons were rusty AF and it needed new seals BADLY. ANyway it became clear that the MC wasn’t building pressure. Ordered an AllBallz rebuild kit, which ended up containing literally NOTHING the correct size. FAIL.

I now have a OEM rebuild kit on it’s way. For the test ride, I ended up using an old Ducati MC from Sharky’s stash. Worked fine, however is a little wooden ;).

Turns out this thing fucking rips! I am used to vintage bikes here, so the close ratio transmission and the suspension / brakes were stunningly, err modern! What a blast.

BIG smile on my face under the helmet. Took a little on-road rip that is not shown here to prevent self-incrimination / 5th amendment reasons…

This is stock ECU, no O2/AF sensor…
 
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Top