Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed my rear Woodcraft axle sliders no problems. However, to install the front sliders, the front axle needs to be removed. Is it just a case of unbolting the side nuts then sliding it out? Does the wheel drop out if you remove it? If so, do you need to re align the wheel when you tighten them back up like on a bicycle? Does bike need to be on a front stand?

I'm asking this beforehand so I don't stuff anything up!

Instructions for reference: https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/product_images/product_pdf/45-0433F.pdf

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've installed my rear Woodcraft axle sliders no problems. However, to install the front sliders, the front axle needs to be removed. Is it just a case of unbolting the side nuts then sliding it out? Does the wheel drop out if you remove it? If so, do you need to re align the wheel when you tighten them back up like on a bicycle? Does bike need to be on a front stand?

I'm asking this beforehand so I don't stuff anything up!

Instructions for reference: https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/product_images/product_pdf/45-0433F.pdf
My mechanic told me to loosen the axle nuts while the bike is still on the ground. Also, i managed to remove and reinstall both wheels without stands. Dont freak out like i did if the 2 front wheel spacers go flying. Just try to keep track of them. So if you dont have stands, you can do it with some wood blocks and/ or a jack. I can provide details if needed. Gl.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Since the weight of the bike is carried from the wheel to the forks by that axle, it will be necessary to take the weight of the bike by some other means, e.g. a front stand. Rickety sketchy means of supporting the bike are asking for the bike to come crashing down, potentially doing lots of damage. Do the job right, with the right tools. Buy yourself a front stem stand (not the kind that goes into the bottom of the forks). There are other ways to do it ... in my workshop, I have hooks tied into a steel beam that is a structural part of the building which I can hang tie-down straps from, in order to hang things that are awkward to support otherwise.

With that done ... Remove the nut from the one side, and the axle can be gently tapped and pushed out through the wheel and then pulled out the other side. It's easy. For what you are doing, you need not remove the wheel ... a piece of wood underneath the wheel to stop it dropping out will keep it roughly in place for re-assembly (so that the brake disk does not drop out from between the brake pads, and so that the spacer on each side doesn't drop out).

Having a front stem stand will allow you to take the front wheel off for future tire changes - this will save you money in the long term (the workshops charge less if you bring them the wheel on its own as opposed to bringing the whole bike). Tip, on this bike, the brake caliper need not be removed ... you can sneak the wheel out with the caliper still in place.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice.

I ended up purchasing a front stand (the fork rest style) and used that to lift the front of the bike. I took Max's advice and put something under the wheel so it didn't drop when I pulled the axle out. After that, the install of the sliders was a piece of cake and I torqued the axle nut back to spec.

One thing I noticed is that when I turn the wheel, it has some resistance and seems to rub on the pads. There didn't seem to be any leeway to try align the wheel so that it wouldn't rub. Is it possible to loosen the calipers and align it as to not rub on the discs, like you would on a bicycle? Or should I just not be OCD and leave it? :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice.

I ended up purchasing a front stand (the fork rest style) and used that to lift the front of the bike. I took Max's advice and put something under the wheel so it didn't drop when I pulled the axle out. After that, the install of the sliders was a piece of cake and I torqued the axle nut back to spec.

One thing I noticed is that when I turn the wheel, it has some resistance and seems to rub on the pads. There didn't seem to be any leeway to try align the wheel so that it wouldn't rub. Is it possible to loosen the calipers and align it as to not rub on the discs, like you would on a bicycle? Or should I just not be OCD and leave it? :)
Good job bud! Pad rubbing normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts