Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First of all, great forum.
I'm kind of new on motorcycles and just have my R3 a few months ago; since then I've been occasionally reading the forum and today I registered in order to ask for an upgrade.

I've read some thread about brake lines, but without much feedback after you buy it.

I'm from Chile and the idea is buy it online, do you have some recommendation?.

(I wanted to put some links here, but due I'm new, I can't... the links were from sportbiketrackgear and from eBay... At sportbiketrackgear both lines cost 130 usd and the seller on ebay sells the front line for 45 usd and both lines for 90 usd).

More options? and/or feedback about them it would be great!.

Is there a really upgrade on the brakes?, I'm looking something because I want to go more often to track days.

Thanks in advance!.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If your riding on the street and want a bit more from your brakes, I'd recommend replacing the pads before going all out with braided lines. I haven't done this to my bike yet, but from what I've read you get quite an improvement from a pad upgrade alone.

CJ

·
Registered
175 Posts
@Lar definitely a noticeable improvement over direct pressure applied. As far as brands, I opted for the EBay version for a few reasons. Venhill offered custom length at no additional cost, and at $90 for the pair in any color, I placed my order. Messaged them right away with my color choice and to have the rear custom cut 4 inches longer. They cut it and shipped it out the very next day.

As far as performance goes, I would expect both the Venhill and Spiegler to produce the same positive results. The obvious differences being in line and hardware color choices.

Installation may or may not be a factor to some. The Venhill's banjo bolts come with a 6mm allen head, Spiegler's come with a 14mm hex head. Much easier to torque down a 14mm wrench than an allen wrench. I installed and bled. Test rode a few hundred yards down the road and returned to find fluid leaking at the banjo of the front caliper. Gave it a little EXTRA effort and it was good. All the other banjos never leaked. After having some difficulties removing some of the allens on this bike, I have a fear of rounding the hole because of over torquing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
YamahaR3racing.com superbike stainless steel line + VESRAH sintered brake pads + Motul RBF600 brake fluid = what I have... and love it. $140 total for awesome braking. I did the install and labor. It's very easy. I also bought some $20 eBay levers just to adjust the braking feel on the lever. That helps a lot b/c now there's less pull.

I didn't upgrade the rear brakes bc I can lock it easily with stock line and pads. I rarely ever use the rear except for quick stops when I lock the rear wheel.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The rear locks up super easy with braided lines, I'll attest to that. I got the line with my rearsets, otherwise I would've left it alone. The front I haven't done yet, but will be doing once i take care of paying for a few other things. I'll probably buy the lines and pads from r3 racing or hard racing, I've bought from both of them before with ease

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your riding on the street and want a bit more from your brakes, I'd recommend replacing the pads before going all out with braided lines. I haven't done this to my bike yet, but from what I've read you get quite an improvement from a pad upgrade alone.

CJ
Thanks!, Actually for a street riding I think that the R3's brakes are OK, of course... always could be better. I'm looking the upgrade for the track; like I worte before, I'm new on bikes and also new/noob at the track, but in my one time experience on the track I noticed that the brakes are too long. So, if I can upgrade that, It would be a great change, cause the power of the bike is already great for the CC.
Do you know some brand/model that can reccomend?, with international shipping?.

Greetings!.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Lar definitely a noticeable improvement over direct pressure applied. As far as brands, I opted for the EBay version for a few reasons. Venhill offered custom length at no additional cost, and at $90 for the pair in any color, I placed my order. Messaged them right away with my color choice and to have the rear custom cut 4 inches longer. They cut it and shipped it out the very next day.

As far as performance goes, I would expect both the Venhill and Spiegler to produce the same positive results. The obvious differences being in line and hardware color choices.

Installation may or may not be a factor to some. The Venhill's banjo bolts come with a 6mm allen head, Spiegler's come with a 14mm hex head. Much easier to torque down a 14mm wrench than an allen wrench. I installed and bled. Test rode a few hundred yards down the road and returned to find fluid leaking at the banjo of the front caliper. Gave it a little EXTRA effort and it was good. All the other banjos never leaked. After having some difficulties removing some of the allens on this bike, I have a fear of rounding the hole because of over torquing.
Oh, great info about the allen/wrench; It could be a detail, but important.

So, what do you have currently?.
D you think that it's important to upgrade the rear line?, I barely use the rear brake, and I think that never on the track.
My goal is improve the front brake for track use.

Greetings and thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have Spiegler, it's a solid upgrade. Front only as I don't think the rears (on any bike) need upgrading. I have about 15,000 track miles (combined on my current and former {i.e. Crashed}) track bikes and have yet to press my rear brake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YamahaR3racing.com superbike stainless steel line + VESRAH sintered brake pads + Motul RBF600 brake fluid = what I have... and love it. $140 total for awesome braking. I did the install and labor. It's very easy. I also bought some $20 eBay levers just to adjust the braking feel on the lever. That helps a lot b/c now there's less pull.

I didn't upgrade the rear brakes bc I can lock it easily with stock line and pads. I rarely ever use the rear except for quick stops when I lock the rear wheel.
I took my time, added the pads and brake line to the cart and moved to checkout in order to know the shipping way and realized that only deliver to USA :(

But, what about those particular pads?, I can look for it other side.
Does it really improve the brake distance?, not only the feeling brake?.

I'm asking this, because the review videos that I've saw, always use the expression "a better feeling", but not something you can measure hahaha.

Greetings!.

PS: Great web for ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rear locks up super easy with braided lines, I'll attest to that. I got the line with my rearsets, otherwise I would've left it alone. The front I haven't done yet, but will be doing once i take care of paying for a few other things. I'll probably buy the lines and pads from r3 racing or hard racing, I've bought from both of them before with ease
Good to know where to look, hope you can leave a feedback if you do. It's great to read real experiencies, If I do the change, will do it :D.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have Spiegler, it's a solid upgrade. Front only as I don't think the rears (on any bike) need upgrading. I have about 15,000 track miles (combined on my current and former {i.e. Crashed}) track bikes and have yet to press my rear brake.
Wow, that's a lot of track miles... Unfortunately near of my city there's only one track, it's great btw, but here isn't quite popular mechanical sports.
So you have to wait for track date once in a while (arround 5-6 days at year) or rent the entire track with friends, the best option that I want to do in order not wait for the next track day.
I think that I have arround 200 km so far hahaha (120 miles).

Where can I find only the front Spiegler line?, I don't care rear line too.

Did you change the pads?.

Thanks!.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I took my time, added the pads and brake line to the cart and moved to checkout in order to know the shipping way and realized that only deliver to USA :(

I'm asking this, because the review videos that I've saw, always use the expression "a better feeling", but not something you can measure hahaha.

Greetings!.

That's a shame about the shipping. I don't know who ships outside the USA besides maybe Amazon or eBay vendors.

The sintered pads don't fade and actually get better when they get hot. The only negative is that they wear out faster than stock pads. But to me it's worth it. I can trail brake for a 15 minute downhill canyon session and I know the brakes will be there no matter what. I also run sintered pads on my Honda Grom but those are EBC HH sintered pads. EBC hasn't made any for the R3 yet.
http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_8.htm

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of track miles... Unfortunately near of my city there's only one track, it's great btw, but here isn't quite popular mechanical sports.
So you have to wait for track date once in a while (arround 5-6 days at year) or rent the entire track with friends, the best option that I want to do in order not wait for the next track day.
I think that I have arround 200 km so far hahaha (120 miles).

Where can I find only the front Spiegler line?, I don't care rear line too.

Do you change the pads?.

Thanks!.
Sportbiketrackgear.com sells a Spiegler set with both the front and rear. I bought this because even though I only wanted the Spiegler line for the front as I have found the overall fit and quality of Spiegler lines to be the best (IMO). I probably will not install the rear. Vesrah RJL pads are exceptional. It's all I use on the track and they work fine on the street.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just go to Yamaha dealer and get factory braided line. Its made by Russell and its very very well made. $50 easy to source.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Greetings!.

Not sure if you have the new lines or not, I have a front SS braided brake line (NON ABS VERSION) I ordered from Http://www.yamahar3racing.com , I found out today that I need the ABS version, and they don't stock it. Due to an issue with my front brakes, I was going to get it installed but to no avail, I can't install it without bypassing the ABS pump :crying:

Depending if my local stealership can do anything about it, you may be able to purchase it off me.. See what happens though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of new on motorcycles and just have my R3 a few months ago; since then I've been occasionally reading the forum and today I registered in order to ask for an upgrade.

I've read some thread about brake lines, but without much feedback after you buy it.

(I wanted to put some links here, but due I'm new, I can't... the links were from sportbiketrackgear and from eBay... At sportbiketrackgear both lines cost 130 usd and the seller on ebay sells the front line for 45 usd and both lines for 90 usd).

Is there a really upgrade on the brakes?, I'm looking something because I want to go more often to track days.

Thanks in advance!.
Hello Lar,

Here is a link to our website for the brake upgrades, you can get the Spears Racing Superbike brake line kit for the front(this is sold by most of my dealers) Also there are a few that say the EBC does not have brake pads, This is incorrect I have the brake pads on the shelf and again you can get them on the web site.

I see you are not in the USA, if you purchase from the site there will be extra shipping added to any of the products, the best thing is to send me an email ([email protected]) and I can get you a direct quote.

Spears racing currently is assisting several riders in South America

we currently have a 97% fill rate on products

Here is the link to our site

https://www.spearsenterprises.com/brake-systems.html

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!.
I am happy to ship internationally and do so quite often. Small, light weight items like this are relatively inexpensive to ship. Just email me and I can get you a quote, [email protected]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just go to Yamaha dealer and get factory braided line. Its made by Russell and its very very well made. $50 easy to source.
How do the factory aftermarket SS braided brake lines compare to aftermarket lines?

Does anyone have personal experience with both?

·
Registered
197 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts