Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does my front brakes makes a light scraping noise?

I have removed and installed my front wheel recently.

I haven't removed the brake caliper during wheel removal.

I noticed that one side is hotter than the other side.

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
262 Posts
Check your rotor to make sure it's not warped or bent, check for wear groves on the rotor and pads. I always recommend removing the caliper as well when removing the front wheel, takes 2 seconds more.

Proper way to mount the caliper, first install the front wheel, then install the caliper, hand tighten, then back off a quarter turn, spin the front wheel up and brake, hold the brake and tighten the caliper.

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
will backen the caliper off and recheck.

Backend the caliper and brake pads.
Cleaned all the dust off.
Regreased all still same scraping noise.
Weird thing now its only doing at low speed.

Is this a common thing on the MT-03/R3?

· Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
will backen the caliper off and recheck.

Backend the caliper and brake pads.
Cleaned all the dust off.
Regreased all still same scraping noise.
Weird thing now its only doing at low speed.

Is this a common thing on the MT-03/R3?
I've had good luck... reinstalling one of the old brake pads against the pistons in the caliper assembly and pushing back both pistons together. A c-clamp works great. but a large pair of Channellock pliers work almost as well. It may not be necessary to do this to simply get clearance for the pads to install, but it helps get better alignment of the piston(s) so they are less likely to bind up during travel back into their normal position.

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
262 Posts
Did you clean the pistons first?

Take a video, post it. Does it happen all the time at low speed? For example, launch, get up to high speed, and slow down without brakes to where you can hear the noise. By feel, what do you mean? Can you feel a vibration? Are you sure its actually from the brakes, or is it just low frequency vibrations that comes with low RPMs and speed? Is it only when you brake? Is it when you brake soft and hard? Have you checked the rotor for groves and/or warping? Have you check your rotor bolts to make sure they torqued correctly? How much are you tightening the front axle nut? Can you hear it spinning the wheel on the stand? How much does the wheel spin when (how freely does it spin) when on a stand? There's a lot of questions to ask here, and honestly if you've taken everything apart, and put it back together and can't find anything, since it's a hard to capture sound, and we can experience feeling over a forum, I'd highly recommend going to a mechanic if you're actually worried about it.

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so it went away a few weeks and now its a different grinding noise.

I guess wheel bearing this time. Its noticable all the time. even under braking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts