Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
curious to see what the dealer says, i've been getting used to it. but still kinda bugs me
Inspection came back negative.

The only thing I can think of now is that it's reverberation from the chain as it gets really loud if I ride next to concrete dividers and trucks.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Your chain should not be that noisy. Recommend checking your chain tension on the bottom run and adjusting it to 5/8" (16mm) at the tightest place. Don't forget to clean and lube it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your chain should not be that noisy. Recommend checking your chain tension on the bottom run and adjusting it to 5/8" (16mm) at the tightest place. Don't forget to clean and lube it.
I have no idea what I'm doing. But I just got my 600 mile service and got the chain cleaned, lubed and adjusted at the dealer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know this is a super old thread, but I am experiencing the exact same noises. I was going to the it to Yamaha, ur after reading this thread, it seems to be quite common. I experience it most in 5th and 6th gear between 5000-7000rpm. It's like a harmonic/whining noise. As soon as I back off the throttle it goes away. It may make this noise in all rpm 5k and up in 6th, but my that point the noise of wind takes over the bike. Not too concerned, but it is a funny noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just for 2015 r3. Same noise issue. Thought was bearing or disk rubbibg bt diak and front wheel cool after 20 mins on hiway. No shudder or shake. Just this mystery rythmic noise. Louder on hiway too

·
Registered
5 Posts
What you are hearing is most likely the gears in the transmission. These bikes with stock exhaust are pretty quiet and since the gears are not helical cut but straight, will produce a whine sound under load. This is totally normal. Think of manual car going in reverse. Reverse gears are straight cut where as forward gears are helical cut to eliminate noise.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts