Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I kinda like it, not as a winglet, but because it helps with the angry eyes look of the R3. :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
but in all seriousness I am the "aerodynamic streamlining doesn't belong on a motorcycle" side...wish the factory teams were on this side too

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but in all seriousness I am the "aerodynamic streamlining doesn't belong on a motorcycle" side...wish the factory teams were on this side too
I agree with this. It makes riding in the slipstream dangerous. Certain factory teams had already invested money into developing winglets for this season in certain classes hence they are allowed for use there. Next year they should be gone.

I got these for fun, the look, and to not be left out. They would not be allowed on the track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i thought about it, but i'm not convinced it does anything positive. they seem like they'd provide drag instead of downforce.

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
I'm trying to be open minded here but I really don't see the point of this thing. From a purely cosmetic point of view, I don't feel like it adds any visual interest or excitement. Practically speaking, I seriously doubt it does anything - but feel free to prove me wrong. Even if it DOES do something like generate down force, I still wouldn't get one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If it is functional, there are downsides to extra downforce the winglets provide on the track. It makes the bike more physical to ride. Look at Pedrosa, for example, who rode the majority of the season without them for that exact reason, and why a lot of the field chose to go without.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts