Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time has come to change my chain and sprockets. I plan on purchasing an impact wrench for the front sprocket removal. Does anyone know if you can specifically set the torque on the impact wrench when it comes to screwing the nut back on? What worries me would be breaking any threads from too much force. I believe it is 54 ft/lb

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know that I'd use an impact wrench to put the nut back on. I think some of the impact wrenches are adjustable to some degree, but not so specific that I'd trust them to set the final torque right at 54 ft/lbs. Personally, I use a DeWalt impact wrench to REMOVE the nut, but I just use a regular socket wrench to reinstall it. I then set the final torque with a conventional torque wrench.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The front sprocket won't/shouldn't need an impact wrench to remove it. It's not on very tight at all. If you don't have an impact driver/wrench already though, I suppose this is a good time and reason to pick one up. Maybe your bike has more miles and the nut has gotten to the point where you might just need an impact.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know that I'd use an impact wrench to put the nut back on. I think some of the impact wrenches are adjustable to some degree, but not so specific that I'd trust them to set the final torque right at 54 ft/lbs. Personally, I use a DeWalt impact wrench to REMOVE the nut, but I just use a regular socket wrench to reinstall it. I then set the final torque with a conventional torque wrench.
Did you reinstall it on neutral?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The front sprocket won't/shouldn't need an impact wrench to remove it. It's not on very tight at all. If you don't have an impact driver/wrench already though, I suppose this is a good time and reason to pick one up. Maybe your bike has more miles and the nut has gotten to the point where you might just need an impact.
If there are other alternatives to safely removing it without one, I'll be happy saving some money. Possible methods, holding down rear brake? Don't want to put it on 1st. First timer here. Actually I do have a M12 milwaukee impact driver but I need a 1/2" hex adapter. I'm guessing its max torque delivery caps at 175 so not sure if it will even work.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I had mine on neutral with rear brake on. I also wouldn't rely on what the impact wrench torque rating is to get it reinstalled. Use a torque wrench for that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Shouldn't need an impact wrench on it at all.

Changed mine recently at 33,000 miles. No problem with getting it off.

I had a friend with me this time, and he held the front and rear brake on for me.

If you're doing it on your own, stick her in 1st and cable tie the front brake on, you can also stick a bit of wood wrapped in a towel through your wheel and swing arm, it shouldn't be on there tight enough to strain your spokes.

Intact, when I did my first chain and sprocket change, I offered a socket up to the nut and wiggled it by hand to check it was the right size, and the but turned a pitch or two ?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I removed it with my impact and put it back on also with the impact. Now I will say it came off way easier than any other front sprocket nut that I've removed from other bikes, but the impact sure makes things easier. You won't damage the threads if you overdo it a bit. Both the nut and the threaded shaft are made out of a hardened steel, not the spaghetti stuff that most bolts and nuts are made out of on bikes. I usually just tighten it as much as it goes until you start turning the crank over, and then I hit it a couple of times with the impact (short bursts) and it's good to go. More than likely it's actually LESS than the specified torque, I haven't had one loosen up yet so that method seems to work well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts