Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don’t know how it happen but my front sprocket nut and washer disappeared while riding
And the sprocket came off the teeth it locks on and spun on the bolt that you put the nut and washer on to hold it on and the bolt is smoothed out in one section is there a way to rethread this?
2017 yzf r3

·
Super Moderator
985 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it. I have a link to a schematic of a 2017 R3's transmission with exposed parts, numbers, and prices. Part # 31 is the 14T front drive sprocket, # 32- washer, #33- nut. Part # 13 is a drive axle assembly that.. (If I'm reading your post correctly).. sounds like is damaged. There are lots of places on a motorcycle you may be able to "patch and forget".. but this sprocket and axle are NOT a place to try that. Sorry. The part numbers listed are OEM, and will be the same through any reputable vendor selling parts for your R3. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't recommend it. I have a link to a schematic of a 2017 R3's transmission with exposed parts, numbers, and prices. Part # 31 is the 14T front drive sprocket, # 32- washer, #33- nut. Part # 13 is a drive axle assembly that.. (If I'm reading your post correctly).. sounds like is damaged. There are lots of places on a motorcycle you may be able to "patch and forget".. but this sprocket and axle are NOT a place to try that. Sorry. The part numbers listed are OEM, and will be the same through any reputable vendor selling parts for your R3. Good Luck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Is the smooth part of the threads the same location as where the washer sits? If so, the nut should still lock down well. Of you could go to a fastener store and try to find a deeper nut with a few more threads for more bite. A couple of drops of blue or red locktite will be added security. If you cannot find a deeper threaded nut, you may be able to just add a factory OEM nut to the backside of the first nut, with a drop or two of red locktite. With both nuts be sure to torque to spec. You can still break the locktite loose later with some heat so no worries there.

Mind you my advice is limited to the schematic, I have never seen the sprocket or sprocket shaft, drive axle assembly.

If all else fails, you can weld the sprocket on and advertise the bike on craigslist (LOL) or sell it to your brother-in-law.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the smooth part of the threads the same location as where the washer sits? If so, the nut should still lock down well. Of you could go to a fastener store and try to find a deeper nut with a few more threads for more bite. A couple of drops of blue or red locktite will be added security. If you cannot find a deeper threaded nut, you may be able to just add a factory OEM nut to the backside of the first nut, with a drop or two of red locktite. With both nuts be sure to torque to spec. You can still break the locktite loose later with some heat so no worries there.

Mind you my advice is limited to the schematic, I have never seen the sprocket or sprocket shaft, drive axle assembly.

If all else fails, you can weld the sprocket on and advertise the bike on craigslist (LOL) or sell it to your brother-in-law.
You think it would be a bad idea to keep the same nut and just get a thicker washer/spacer bc I’m like 1/8 of a inch away from it making contact. With a thicker washer/spacer and some locktite you think it would stay on well?

·
Registered
427 Posts
**** yeah. I must have dementia, I never thought of that. If you have enough thread, a second nut will serve as a locknut. With a couple drops of locktite, It ain't coming off then.

·
Super Moderator
985 Posts
Kiko's thoughts are spot on. I had in mind the whole shaft had damaged threads. But it appears you have enough threads to work with. I'd second using the Loctite Blue on the threads before it's tightened down. The red type may cause problems down the road.

·
Registered
107 Posts
All the above being said, what's up with your sprocket? It appears to be rusty AF. If that's the case, I would be concerned about the state of your chain and rear sprocket, which are actually exposed to the elements. From the bit of chain showing in the photo it looks fine but I'm curious how the sprocket got so much rust on it, considering its hidden away inside its cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I don’t know how it happen but my front sprocket nut and washer disappeared while riding
And the sprocket came off the teeth it locks on and spun on the bolt that you put the nut and washer on to hold it on and the bolt is smoothed out in one section is there a way to rethread this?
2017 yzf r3
I dont know if this is a factory sprocket. while installing my new chain i found out yamaha left my drive sprocket nut LOOSE! it would have come completly off if they didnt design the 2019 cover to hold it ON!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do note that the washer used is supposed to be a locking washer. Its supposed to be bent over one side of the nut once it has been torqued to prevent the nut from backing out. Could be that the washer was not bent over the nut from factory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
it wasnt bent or warped it was rolling loose for up to 16k miles i guess. There was no locking mechanism, the washer is perfectly round and flat. this is also a 2019 model.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just change my front sprocket on a 2020 MT 03 at 800miles and the nut was not very tight. i used blue Loctite when I put it back together

1 - 13 of 13 Posts