Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the sensation of the front wheel giving out while going 50-60 on corners? I'm not even leaning the bike that much and yet the front feels like it's about to squirm loose. Doesn't inspire confidence at all. When going 30 or less, tires feel okay. I did the same thing over the same roads on friends Ninja 300 and CBR300R and both of them felt very planted. All 3 bikes are less then 2 months old and on stock tires. Even tested to make sure tire pressures were 30 psi. What could be wrong? Is there something wrong with the front tire?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Front has felt OK but the back has felt like it's slipped on me. Maybe it hasn't and it's just the sensation of leaning into a turn that I'm not used to.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Suspension is softer, and more tuned to be road comfy, rather than race comfy.
I think it makes more sense that the R3 would have stiffer suspension, and if they come out with a naked bike later this year, equip that with soft suspension.
Soft suspension is better for commuters, cruisers, and tourers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ditch the bias ply tires. I'm sure they aren't helping.

Reactions: Decon blue

·
Registered
717 Posts
Try changing your tire pressure up then down. Record your pressures and the effects. Adjust accordingly. I raced a stock ninja 2-fitty on cheesy 16" stock tires for 1 1/2 years, with good results. It's all what you make of it...
Granted, when I changed up to the new gen 17" wheels with better tires, it got A WHOLE LOT BETTER..., but I'm jus' sayin'...
A-I-O
Adapt
Improvise
Overcome

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did my first true ride of 75 miles with a bunch of twisties and the front felt planted. The rear however did feel like it was wshing out a bit in a sharp heavy lean turn. (This was with the tires at stock air pressure and the rear dampener set at 8 due to me being 240 lbs.) I plan on doing the same ride and messing with the rear air pressure a bit. 36psi in the rear sounds good for commuting but not for twisties.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I changed the preload at the rear since I'm a bigger guy and I feel that the bike handles better, but I think I get more affected by the wind now.

Anyone have the sensation of the front wheel giving out while going 50-60 on corners? I'm not even leaning the bike that much and yet the front feels like it's about to squirm loose. Doesn't inspire confidence at all. When going 30 or less, tires feel okay. I did the same thing over the same roads on friends Ninja 300 and CBR300R and both of them felt very planted. All 3 bikes are less then 2 months old and on stock tires. Even tested to make sure tire pressures were 30 psi. What could be wrong? Is there something wrong with the front tire?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like your tire might be low. I had a flat on my Majesty. It looked fine and felt fine, but had 6lbs of air in it.

Front was at 30 and rear also 30. Pumped air in the morning right before the rie. The front felt weird during corners so I took the Ninja 300 and CBR300R with the same tire pressure and both those ran fine. I still like the R3 better though. Just trying to figure out why the front feels so loose during higher speed turns. Might be an isolated issue as I don't see anyone else on here having the same issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had a few front end moments, I find it's usually through bumpier corners, don't have to be leant over that far either. I'm pretty sure it's the suspension and not the tyre for me

·
Registered
254 Posts
No comment lol. The stock tires are on the shelf in the garage. The stock tires had 1900 miles and they felt like a grease marker on the corners a little slippage but controllable. I pulled them off and put on for $210.00 new Bridgestone EVO S20's. I ride Mulholland 100 plus miles on my rides. I have 3600 miles on my bike now and these tires kick but on turns.
Here's a link for comparison of tires for small displacement bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnmukUJ7aQ

I can feel the difference when I rub my thumb on the stock Tires and the S20's there's more grip on my thumb and they make a squeaky noise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi , had the same issue, the front was ok but the rear had no real damping rebound qualities, so, changed the tyres to bridgestone s20 evos,to take care of the grip levels, the rear was spongy so swapped it out for kawasaki ER6 shock, transformation is freakin' awesome for the street/ twisties, and is a cost effective improvement. going to install hyperpro progressive springs and heavier oil,.............roll on next payday!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts