Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a long time in the making, but I'm finally finished with my dyno testing article. At least for now :)
This is a great read, with TONS of information.

I was also able to get some really good comparisons with an RC390 on the same dyno at the end of the article. Enjoy!

Here's the full writeup:
Yamaha R3 dyno testing results

Cheers,
Jesse

Follow my build and racing at YamahaR3Racing.com
The most complete resource for information and race parts for the Yamaha R3.

·
Registered
350 Posts
So I have a question pcv with autotune it applies maps in real time correct? And bazzaz doesn't? Or am I completely wrong....
I've completely ruined my header :/ it's yellowed as all heck my father has only been yelling ate for months since it started... I know I should listen to the man that raced an built cars and bikes his entire life (although fuel injection confused him) but... money...

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, the Power Commander Autotuner applies changes in real time, but it applies them to a separate table called "trim" instead of actually changing your base map. Then you can apply the changes to your base map if you like. Bazzaz shows you the data, and you can apply it or not.

So I have a question pcv with autotune it applies maps in real time correct? And bazzaz doesn't? Or am I completely wrong....
I've completely ruined my header :/ it's yellowed as all heck my father has only been yelling ate for months since it started... I know I should listen to the man that raced an built cars and bikes his entire life (although fuel injection confused him) but... money...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Nice work JeNo! Besides the slight difference between the displacement between bith bikes, what do you think about the single vs p-twin? Also, with you dropping stock exhaust, handlebars, etc what's the wet weight of your R3 nowadays?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Correct, the Power Commander Autotuner applies changes in real time, but it applies them to a separate table called "trim" instead of actually changing your base map. Then you can apply the changes to your base map if you like. Bazzaz shows you the data, and you can apply it or not.
So it runs on the trim and doesn't effect base maps an makes the adjustments for you...
Probably tomorrow I'll be buying a pcv off of you my belated birthday gift to myself! When I do, do I tell you my pipe I have? I'm so full of questions tonight!

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shoot me an email, or give me a call tomorrow.

My bike is 313 lbs in race trim with 2 bars of fuel. 160 lbs front, 153 lbs rear

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I prefer the longer revving motors, always have. big twins or singles have too short of a power band for me, but I'm sure I could get used to it if that's what I was racing.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I prefer the longer revving motors, always have. big twins or singles have too short of a power band for me, but I'm sure I could get used to it if that's what I was racing.
Thanks Jesse. No doubt. I miss the giddy-up and power of my CBR600RR. I like Inline-4's. I am not like some of my local counterparts who are Hayabusa or 1000RR or Bust because's "600's don't have enough power." I think the P-Twin powerband is far more robust than a single even if lower in displacement. I dig the RC390, and have always loved Honda, and their CBR300 is a wonderfully complete lightweight bike save for the single cylinder, which is why when I downgraded, I chose the R3.

I am sticking with my R3 for now. Don't think I am going to upgrade back to a 600...yet. I don't want such a severe super sport position anymore as I have gotten older and more chill. So that nixes the R6, CBR600RR, and ZX-6R, which seems to be the best 600 as it is the only middleweight supersport with rider aids like power modes, slipper clutch, trac control, etc. The sport middleweights like the Ninja 650 and CBR650F seem to be not well balanced, if you will. I actually like the FZ600R the best but a lot of it's features are dated like the crappy swingarm. Otherwise, it has a nice comfortable riding position, handles excellently, and has the power one could want that the P-Twin Ninja650 does not have.

Hopefully I will have enough $ in the near future for like 4 bikes-a street R3, a race R3, a ZX-6R or FZ600R, and maybe a Honda RC213V-S? :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
One **** of a write up @jbluetooth. But you kinda took the wind out of my sails, and made me crash N burn like Maverick from Top Gun. I am the not so proud owner of a PC5 and Akrapovic SS full exhaust system, which was, of course, the laggard in your results. Thanks. How about popping in my cereal in the morning?

Want to trade an M4 and Bazzazz for my aforementioned parts? And I have an AutoTune, and due to the need to weld the bung adapter, I have deferred installing it. I was thinking of getting the Yoshimura (especially since my deceased awesome bro was a a fanatical Yosh practitioner) or M4, but settled on the Akra because I liked the aesthetic and thought I'd bypass dealing with CF color fading like it happened on my previous tube. The Akra was kind of reminiscent of my old Vance & Hines exhaust on my FZR600, which was one of the biggest names in exhausts and was synonymous with Yamaha's at least in the early 90's when I was

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One **** of a write up @jbluetooth. But you kinda took the wind out of my sails, and made me crash N burn like Maverick from Top Gun. I am the not so proud owner of a PC5 and Akrapovic SS full exhaust system, which was, of course, the laggard in your results. Thanks. How about popping in my cereal in the morning?

Want to trade an M4 and Bazzazz for my aforementioned parts? And I have an AutoTune, and due to the need to weld the bung adapter, I have deferred installing it. I was thinking of getting the Yoshimura (especially since my deceased awesome bro was a a fanatical Yosh practitioner) or M4, but settled on the Akra because I liked the aesthetic and thought I'd bypass dealing with CF color fading like it happened on my previous tube. The Akra was kind of reminiscent of my old Vance & Hines exhaust on my FZR600, which was one of the biggest names in exhausts and was synonymous with Yamaha's at least in the early 90's when I was
Sorry! I also had an Akrapovic, it's too bad they didn't update the system, kinda rained on everyone's parade with that. I know a guy who has an R25 who may want your Akra if you really want to sell it. No need to sell the PCV, it performs the same as the Bazzaz, and you have the autotuner already...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sorry! I also had an Akrapovic, it's too bad they didn't update the system, kinda rained on everyone's parade with that. I know a guy who has an R25 who may want your Akra if you really want to sell it. No need to sell the PCV, it performs the same as the Bazzaz, and you have the autotuner already...
I really do like the Akrapovic, btu I'd sell it if he's interested. Wouldn't mind trying an M4 or the Yosh R77. Let him know, and get back at me. I'll give im a really good deal. It's only been on for about 300 miles. I was a slacker, and kept my stock exhaust on for a long while.

I wonder how the Scorpion performs. It is the most expensive out of the whole lot. It also claims "no mapping" and "no repacking." WTF is up with that?

The things that is shocking about this is that Akrapovic, Yoshimura, etc are quite large players and companies in the exhaust segment. Not in general, obviously. M4 is a smaller, boutique-like firm that basically beat them at their own game. You'd think that one of the big players, with all their DNA, R&D, etc would have a nominal comparative advantage over smaller firms. Just goes to show, even small yet determined firms can beat the big guy.

Actually, it was part of the reason I chose the Akrapovic. I never had any experience with M4s. It's always been Yosh, Muzzy, Vance & Hines, & Leo Vince. I don't know if it's a NY local thing, but you don't see M4's around here, which is why I didn't know much about them.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really do like the Akrapovic, btu I'd sell it if he's interested. Wouldn't mind trying an M4 or the Yosh R77. Let him know, and get back at me. I'll give im a really good deal. It's only been on for about 300 miles. I was a slacker, and kept my stock exhaust on for a long while.

I wonder how the Scorpion performs. It is the most expensive out of the whole lot. It also claims "no mapping" and "no repacking." WTF is up with that?

The things that is shocking about this is that Akrapovic, Yoshimura, etc are quite large players and companies in the exhaust segment. Not in general, obviously. M4 is a smaller, boutique-like firm that basically beat them at their own game. You'd think that one of the big players, with all their DNA, R&D, etc would have a nominal comparative advantage over smaller firms. Just goes to show, even small yet determined firms can beat the big guy.

Actually, it was part of the reason I chose the Akrapovic. I never had any experience with M4s. It's always been Yosh, Muzzy, Vance & Hines, & Leo Vince. I don't know if it's a NY local thing, but you don't see M4's around here, which is why I didn't know much about them.

Yeah, I didn't have much personal experience with M4 either, but they are big in the south. Gregg Spears turned me on to them first, but the product is excellent, no frills, high quality, and obviously it performs. So big props to them, they earned my business.

Can you email me an asking price for the Akra?

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's already gone. I am trying to make a real life point. All that money spend and time for such a little "improvement" or worse ruined the bike. It's not worth it.
go get a real job, make some real money, enjoy your own value of 'worth', stop trying to bring other people down because you made what appears to be the biggest mistake of your life (or lack thereof)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts