Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot ****, my R-77 system and Driven block off plate are sitting in my apartment. I watched the STG videos on installing them and I'm sure I can handle the job. I'm thinking

1) As long as the fairing is off on the right side to do the exhaust, might as well install block off?

2) Can I use a zip tie on the block off hose, rather than safety wire?

3) Will riding bike without a Bazzazz Fi for 100-200 miles do any damage?

Thanks for any and all advice!:)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I just finished installing the R77 full system, fired her up and it sounds mean as ****, youtube videos don't do it justice:

1) no need to remove fairings, just loosened the black side piece down by rearsets so you can reach the O2 sensor, the header/mid pipe/ cat just comes out the bottom of bike.

2) the header bolts from factory were surprisingly loose, the brass header gaskets fell our easy, make sure you put a towel or cardboard box down for a soft landing

3) I have no formal mechanical training, but hav wrenched on an old Chevelle, mountain bikes, BMX bikes...still only took about 90 minutes with just a basic COSTCO tool kit.

4) DO NOT PUT BAFFLE IN AND TRY TO SCREW IN RETAINING ALLEN BOLT WITH CAN ON THE BIKE. I did and like an idiot, the bolt slipped from fingers, rolled down through mid-pipe into end of headers. Had to disassemble and fish it out.

Taking a break for lunch and watch the STG video for Driven block off plate install, I'll post up pics / video.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Block off plate installed in less than an hour, anybody considering doing install themselves...go for it. The STG videos explain it all, less than 3 hours for all parts installed, dealership wanted 300-350 dollars, and if I can do it, anybody else could. Just a quick ride up and down street, no popping, but exhaust smells a little lean, going to order a Bazzazz through yamahaR3racing or Spears next.

Mods make life better!

·
Registered
113 Posts
what does the block off plate even do bro?

http://www.yamahar3racing.com/2015/...nd-install-block-off-plates-on-the-yamaha-r3/

It's an emissions system that sends air into the exhaust to help burn off excess fuel vapor. I'm assuming this is what causes all that popping the second you touch the exhaust system. The block off plate doesn't allow for air to enter and create all those pops that people may not like. I also read that it will mess with your tuning as well

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what does the block off plate even do bro?
For what it's worth, I experience almost no "pops" with my full exhaust + BMC air filter and no fuel mgt. I have heard an R3 with street slayer and no block off plate, sounds great, but pops like a mother****** on deceleration.

Once I install Bazzaz Fi (hopefully in January) I'll write up a before and after comparison.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It blocks off O2 from the system which as mentioned is what caused popping. If you are cheap
Like me, you can use marbles or hose plugs from autozone to block off the bike. A bag of marbles is like $1 at some places.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ahh I know what it is now. they run an air pump and they pump air into the exhaust because that lowers the actual exhaust. they mix it with normal air, and that helps them pass emissions testing.
My Madza Rotaries had the same setup. they needed an air pump that looked like a massive air conditioner compressor to pump the air in lol. im not kidding it robs of about 4HP as its belt driven on cars. on bikes i would think it runs of a gear inside engine or something or off the gearbox somewhere. not as familliar with the system on bikes

thanks for that

·
Registered
74 Posts
So a block off plate is required for full exhaust?

I was planing on cutting mine and using the m4 Street Slayer slip on, with a bazzaz w/ tune from yamahaR3racing (not using auto tune add on).

But after reading how to install the block off plate it makes me not want to do it.... b/c I don't want to take off my fairing and mess with my HID setup... (ballast attached to side fairings.)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So a block off plate is required for full exhaust?

I was planing on cutting mine and using the m4 Street Slayer slip on, with a bazzaz w/ tune from yamahaR3racing (not using auto tune add on).

But after reading how to install the block off plate it makes me not want to do it.... b/c I don't want to take off my fairing and mess with my HID setup... (ballast attached to side fairings.)
I installed the block off plate by myself, it's not that hard and it will really help eliminate "popping". The fairings will not have to come off, just the tank and the black piece under the tank and loosen the inner black piece. The SportbikeTrackGear.com install video will walk you through everything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've installed an M4 street slayer and block off plate on my MT03.

I rode it with the full system and no block off for about a week and yeah there was a bit of 'popping' on deceleration. But that's all it was: mild popping, no real issue.

I already had the block off plate so installed it anyway and now there is no popping at all. Interesting it has also vastly reduced the engine breaking that I used to get. Now when I ease of the throttle, the bike coasts along as if it was in neutral.

I haven't tuned the bike since but don't really feel there is a need too. I haven't seen any increase in HP but no real loss either and the bike sounds fine. Actually it sounds like a beast, but a tuned beast!

I might get a dyno done at the next service but I'm not worried about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts