Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First post, hope this is allowed.

Was browsing AliExpress for a cheap exhaust and came across this one with what appears to be a high-flow cat.

Haven’t seen an exhaust like this before, does anyone have experience with it? Seems like you may be able to get away with not needing a tune.

Mobile: Exhaust here
Desktop: Exhaust here

·
Registered
207 Posts
Interesting design, it looks like it's designed for those who are trying to escape cat delete laws. I'd say it would be closer to the stock exhaust than your standard full exhaust, so it would most likely run 'less out of tune' than usual. But then what's the point?

·
Super Moderator
1,027 Posts
Like Dreadwil said.... And it may just be a 'can' giving the appearance of a catalytic convertor welded in-line.. that offers nothing inside to restrict the full flow of exhaust. At that price, there's no way the internal materials for emissions can be present. Depending on how much exhaust air flow is restricted, it's a guessing game as to whether or not a tune would be required. But, for the price, It's a nice looking unit.

·
Registered
202 Posts
For me, that link opens up on my screen formatted in a way that I can't do anything with the website. What I can see of it, says nothing whatsoever about that little expansion-blob being a catalyst. I suspect it's just an expansion chamber.

And ... "too cheap to be good" is a close relative of "too good to be true".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For me, that link opens up on my screen formatted in a way that I can't do anything with the website. What I can see of it, says nothing whatsoever about that little expansion-blob being a catalyst. I suspect it's just an expansion chamber.

And ... "too cheap to be good" is a close relative of "too good to be true".
Sorry I posted the link on mobile. Here is the desktop link.

One of the pictures show a cross-cut of the chamber and it looks to be a resonator of some sort. Even if it's just an expansion chamber/resonator it may at least quiet down the exhaust a little so it's not overly loud like the traditional straight pipe, while providing some back pressure.

Think I may give it a try!

·
Registered
26 Posts
For future reference, just remove the m. from infront of aliexpress in the link 🤓
Good call to find this pipe that will work with stock muffler, slipons, etc. Yes it is a Honey-comb that does quieten the exhaust a bit, doubt if any cat qualities at all. (I have a Honey-comb db reducer on mine between the header pipe and muffler with a 8" Harley-type baffle inside the Chinese muffler). Sound is fairly quiet. I ordered this pipe just now so will see in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good call to find this pipe that will work with stock muffler, slipons, etc. Yes it is a Honey-comb that does quieten the exhaust a bit, doubt if any cat qualities at all. (I have a Honey-comb db reducer on mine between the header pipe and muffler with a 8" Harley-type baffle inside the Chinese muffler). Sound is fairly quiet. I ordered this pipe just now so will see in a couple of weeks.
Be sure to let us know how it works out! I’m waiting until December to order it as I’m really intrigued

·
Registered
26 Posts
First post, hope this is allowed.

Was browsing AliExpress for a cheap exhaust and came across this one with what appears to be a high-flow cat.
Haven’t seen an exhaust like this before, does anyone have experience with it? Seems like you may be able to get away with not needing a tune.
Mobile: Exhaust here
Desktop: Exhaust here
I have been messing around with several exhausts and here is what I have found.
1) the best for power and QUIET is the stock exhaust
2) the best for power and a sweet QUIET sound is the stock with aftermarket slip on
3) the best for more power, and LOUD is any aftermarket system but you are looking at $$
4) the best for same power and LOUD and low $ is the Chinese aftermarket, either standard or loop one, with not using a baffle
5) the best for maybe a bit more power and not as LOUD and low $ is the Chinese aftermarket, either standard or loop one, with using the baffle
6) the best for more power and much less Loud and low $ is the Chinese aftermarket, either standard or loop one, with using different baffles in different places.

7) I am looking to get the exhaust you are showing in your opening post and using it with my Akropic slip on, but expect it to be loud, but maybe a bit more power. (I like the expansion-box aspect of this Chinese pipe, that takes the place of the Cat--this may be a key reason how Yamaha gets such performance output of the stock setup.).
8) I ordered a pipe converter on Aliexpress for the aftermarket exhaust to match the stock muffler, so will experiment with stock muffler and slip on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts