Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having problems with low beam on the bike. Its not turning on. I haven't checked the fuse yet, but looking at:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1150686/Yamaha-Yzf-R3.html?page=78
only shows one fuse for both high/low, and my high beam works. I haven't been able to ohm anything out yet, but my guesses are the high/low beam switch, the bulb on the low beam side, and the interconnecting wires. Anyone else have any ideas? Assuming its the bulb, any idea what to replace with? This would literally be the first time I've had to replace a bulb in any bike.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to put a meter to it. I guess I should have mentioned in the original post, but the bike did get rained on. I leave my bikes outside as I no longer have a covered garage. That's probably NOT what caused it though, since that should have taken out the high beam as well.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I am going to put a meter to it. I guess I should have mentioned in the original post, but the bike did get rained on. I leave my bikes outside as I no longer have a covered garage. That's probably NOT what caused it though, since that should have taken out the high beam as well.
If you've never changed the bulb its likely just at the end of its service life. The vibrations on a motorcycle are hard on halogen bulbs. But definitely put a Multimeter on the connector going to the bulb and check for voltage.

The starting system of this bike doesnt help either as it powers the lights as soon as the key is turned on, when you hit the starter button it sucks all the juice from that circuit.

I went through two HID ballasts on my projector retrofit before I got around to adding a delay timer to the headlight circuit so they didnt receive angry pixies (power) until the bike was already started.

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
If you've never changed the bulb its likely just at the end of its service life. The vibrations on a motorcycle are hard on halogen bulbs. But definitely put a Multimeter on the connector going to the bulb and check for voltage.

The starting system of this bike doesnt help either as it powers the lights as soon as the key is turned on, when you hit the starter button it sucks all the juice from that circuit.

I went through two HID ballasts on my projector retrofit before I got around to adding a delay timer to the headlight circuit so they didnt receive angry pixies (power) until the bike was already started.
Without getting into the middle of what I don't know. The headlight Will Not come on with the ignition switch alone. Only after the engine starts.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Without getting into the middle of what I don't know. The headlight Will Not come on with the ignition switch alone. Only after the engine starts.
I think you're mostly right... I was going off the top of my head.

It may be that as soon as you hit the starter button it sends power to the headlight circuit, about all I can remember at this moment is I tracked it down to the ballasts getting less then 12v at startup, and while they are trying to fire the HID's it was too much strain and was killing the ballasts which is why I added a delay circuit.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I dont know if its anywhere near the end. I have owned other bikes (also brand new) that have put on 10,000 miles ore more with no issue. This one is only at 11,000 KM from 0 on the ODO, so 6, 6875 miles?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kojiiro

Question... is your handle pronounced Co-Gee-Ear-Oh???
Nah. CO-JEE-ROH. "KOJIRO" was already taken lol.

EDIT: oh and the low beam will only light if key is in, turned, and starter is pushed. Even if the engine does not start (starter pushed for a split second), the light will turn on.

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
Nah. CO-JEE-ROH. "KOJIRO" was already taken lol.

EDIT: oh and the low beam will only light if key is in, turned, and starter is pushed. Even if the engine does not start (starter pushed for a split second), the light will turn on.
I should have said, the light is designed to turn on "when the engine is running". I wasn't trying to get technical. Not my field of "BS". But you're certainly on the right track. If you see the lamp on during the brief start up process, the lamp is probably good. You may also want to keep that "when the engine is running" in mind, when you start probing with your voltmeter. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Very weird that the light can turn on. I'm thinking either a loose connection or the headlight harness is shorting somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
Very weird that the light can turn on. I'm thinking either a loose connection or the headlight harness is shorting somewhere.
You're right, this makes no sense. As often as we've had posts concerning blown fuses concerning any "shorts" at all, it's hard for me to believe that's it. But something is definitely not connecting. Test light or meter, in knowledgeable hands, may still take a while to find. I guess he'll let us know when he finds it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts