Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Have you noticed the gas tank cover on the r3 seem to be very cheap? If I put my hands firm on both sides and push side to side, it actually moves a little bit. Also when sitting on the bike and moving my ass side to side and front to back you can actually hear the plastic tank cover crackle (can't put a word to the sound). I am pretty dissapointed Yamaha put a plastic tank cover on such a nice machine. The ninja 300's gas tank cover is larger and metal (over all just better feeling). Another plus to a metal gas tank cover is that you can use tank bags with magnets.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves about the R3.
What are your thoughts!?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, the Ninja doesnt have a tank cover. The metal IS the tank im pretty sure. So while a plastic tank cover seems cheap and crappy its better on a learner/beginner oriented bike because when you drop it (and most people will) a plastic cover is cheaper to replace (its 3 parts as well which is nice too) than a whole metal tank.

Although I would take off the plastic cover and check all the rubber bushings are in place and its all screwed down right.

·
Registered
542 Posts
It's actually taking brilliant idea on a second beginner bike. If you drop it, you don't ding the tank and have to worry about rust, a repair, or a whole paint job. Instead, you can just swap a small fairing for 40 or 50 bucks (worst case) and it's good as new again.

Storm aero makes a one piece cover that is definitely a bit sturdier if it really bothers you. It's about 200 bucks on ebay when it's available. I bought one and am pretty satisfied with it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Its a smart concession for yamaha based on how many people go down on beginner bikes/their first bikes.

Yes, the cover is cheap plastic. The key word here is cheap. Its like 30 bucks to replace one side of the tank plastic (the side you went down). You know how much it costs to replace a dented tank on the ninja 300? 500 dollars. Based on how many topics we have here and on the ninja 300 forums on people dropping their bikes, the yamaha owners are very fortunate.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I never noticed any movement from my gas tank cover, but I don't mind it. Plus, it's a cheap replacement if it ever gets damaged. I'd rather pay for a cover than a replacement gas tank lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
They had to make compromises somewhere to make a competitively priced class leading motorcycle.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Having taken off the tank to install the Driven block off plate, I too was less than impressed with the cover. I keep hoping somebody will make a full carbon fiber cover (not the cheap carbon fiber wrapped ones)

·
Registered
240 Posts
There are some quality aftermarket options out there if you don't like the stock tank cover:

I am hoping that someone releases a bigger capacity tank. Another couple of litres would make a massive difference on longer trips.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are some quality aftermarket options out there if you don't like the stock tank cover:

I am hoping that someone releases a bigger capacity tank. Another couple of litres would make a massive difference on longer trips.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I'm sure ETI fuelcel would build you a bigger one out of Kevlar no problem. It would be very nice and very expensive. Probably north of a thousand dollars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts