Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha r3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
So I'm new to motorcycles and just bought a used 2019 yamaha r3 with only 600 miles on it, its been couple weeks of me having the bike and I love it, however when I start the bike first thing I would get a gas smell that would go away after couple of minutes, I was wondering if this is normal or what would be the issue here?

Thanks,

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've never noticed a gas smell on mine. Is there a chance you're overfilling your gas tank and it's coming out the overflow pipe?

How long does it take to start the bike? I.e. instantly, or does it crank over for a bit?

·
Registered
Yamaha r3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never noticed a gas smell on mine. Is there a chance you're overfilling your gas tank and it's coming out the overflow pipe?

How long does it take to start the bike? I.e. instantly, or does it crank over for a bit?
Thanks for the reply mate,
I have only filled it ( not even full tank) one time so far as I mentioned I only got it couple weeks ago and didn't have long drives.
As far as starting it's normal no cranking , one thing I didn't mention it has an after market slip on exhaust so I'm not sure if that would make the gas smell ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've had both a slip on and full exhaust and haven't noticed a smell, but there are a lot of variables. It could be unburnt fuel in the exhaust due to short rides? I'm sure someone will chip in with more suggestions.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've had both a slip on and full exhaust and haven't noticed a smell, but there are a lot of variables. It could be unburnt fuel in the exhaust due to short rides? I'm sure someone will chip in with more suggestions.
Same here, no gas smells.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd say with full exhaust there is quite a bit more smell of fumes compared to stock.

Apart from the slip-on has the motorcycle been modified in any other way, a power commander for example or flashed ECU which affects the richness of fuel mixture? Can't think of anything else.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
New motorcycle with few miles on .. so I doubt anything could be worn. But you may want to check the fuel lines at and under the fuel tank and insure there are no loose hoses or connections.

·
Registered
Yamaha r3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say with full exhaust there is quite a bit more smell of fumes compared to stock.

Apart from the slip-on has the motorcycle been modified in any other way, a power commander for example or flashed ECU which affects the richness of fuel mixture? Can't think of anything else.
Thanks for the reply, that's a good point that I would have to look into it. The bike was modified ( in look at least) to be a track bike. Lots of aftermarket parts, but all was done by the 1st owner. I'm planning to make a stop at the dealership soon and let them check it out.

·
Registered
Yamaha r3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New motorcycle with few miles on .. so I doubt anything could be worn. But you may want to check the fuel lines at and under the fuel tank and insure there are no loose hoses or connections.
I thought of a leak too , but to be honest if the smell is coming from the exhaust for 1 minute only then will disappear it doesn't seem like a leak , Its more like rich start up ,

·
Registered
237 Posts
If it has a full exhaust system, there's no catalytic converter to clean up the hydrocarbons (that's the part that stinks), there's a fair chance the supplementary air injection system has been disabled (more loss of emission-control function), and who knows how well the tuning was done. For something with tampered emission-controls, that's the way it is.

·
Registered
Yamaha r3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it has a full exhaust system, there's no catalytic converter to clean up the hydrocarbons (that's the part that stinks), there's a fair chance the supplementary air injection system has been disabled (more loss of emission-control function), and who knows how well the tuning was done. For something with tampered emission-controls, that's the way it is.
Thanks buddy, I'm definitely taking the bike to a shop to see what's going on, just wanted to make sure its ok to drive it for a month or two before taking it to the shop so that I feel more comfortable driving it on highway by then , sense I'm new driver, thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If its only when starting it, it might just be running a bit rich while everything heats up. Alternatively, you could just be smelling unburnt hydrocarbons from the exhaust. Catalytic converters don't function very well until they get hot. Same thing tends to happen with most cars as well. As the cat heats up, it starts to function as intended and catalyzes all those hydrocarbons. And the smell goes away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts