Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your personal preferences? Started riding last year. Purchased a pair of Rev'IT! CHEVRON leather gloves. I went down and though the gloves held up contact and a few inches of sliding I noticed the Velcro came undone and I got a little rash.

New season. Looking for new pair. Now I'm leaning towards gaunlets for that added protection but I don't want to look like I'm heading to a MotoGP first practice lol.

What are some personal preferences you guys have. What do you wear on the daily??

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm currently using AlpineStars SPX air carbon, short cuff with some wrist protection. Previously, I used the Alpinestars smx air carbon, shorter cuff but great for Summer riding. You can spend more to get more protection, but I've used these two gloves for years and nothing but good reviews,

One thing, they will fit VERY tight at first, don't buy a size larger, they will stretch after a few weeks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My friend lent me a pair of both short cuff (alpinestar celer) and gauntlets (Held Evo Thrux) last couple months in fall and I much preferred the gauntlets. It didn't matter what they looked like to me, it was a sense of protection and comfort. I am going to get a pair of the Held Evo Thrux gloves, they are fantastic, and can't go wrong with the price!
The gauntlets worked well when it was chilly in mornings/evenings because the cold air wasn't going up the sleeve of my jacket. Also, I found them overall more comfortable as the jacket sleeve went into the glove. When the jacket sleeve was over the cuff of the shorties I found it quite annoying at times and needed to adjust due to rubbing (maybe the A* Celers are just not comfortable gloves).
Go to the nearest bike shop and try on a couple pairs of each...that's my 2 cents. It all comes down to personal preference..you may find shorties more suitable for your liking!
Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have ever only used gauntlets. (minus the dirt-bike days)

I got myself those Held Phantom 2's, but now I am looking into also getting the Held Air-stream 2's for their airflow. I see people complaining about the comfort factor when riding vs short cuffs and I agree with them to a point. Though it seems the cheaper guants are bulkier, with less of a focus on form fitting and the like. My suggestion that if you do chose a pair of gauntlets is to not cheap out or it will feel like you have oven mitts on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have ever only used gauntlets. (minus the dirt-bike days)

I got myself those Held Phantom 2's, but now I am looking into also getting the Held Air-stream 2's for their airflow. I see people complaining about the comfort factor when riding vs short cuffs and I agree with them to a point. Though it seems the cheaper guants are bulkier, with less of a focus on form fitting and the like. My suggestion that if you do chose a pair of gauntlets is to not cheap out or it will feel like you have oven mitts on.
Good point. I'm going to take a trip to my local dealer to try some on. Right now I'm leaning towards the Alpinestars SP-2

·
Registered
330 Posts
I only ever use my gauntlets for the track.

On the street, I use the RS Taichi RST423 Raptor Mesh gloves. It's officially short cuff but it goes past the wrist and has a few sliders. It's super comfortable, definitely my favorite glove I've ever had on. I've put a lot of miles on them too and they are holding up great. The picture below shows how they fit on the wrist. IMO, there's no reason to use anything more on the street.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Gauntlets for me, short cuff when I don't feel like wearing gloves (I feel like these will stop gravel rash but won't stop the bones in my hands from being broken in a crash)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've accumulated several pairs of gloves over the years. Most of them are gauntlet style gloves, although I do have a pair of vented short cuff gloves that I occasionally wear in summer.

I definitely prefer gauntlet style gloves for the better wind protection. It's also easier to fully cover the gauntlet style cuffs with my waterproof overjacket.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Alpinestars makes some short cuff cloves that are more like 3/4 and have palm sliders too. Just ordered a pair will let you know what I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts