Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Gear and Passengers

6K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Renboy 
#1 ·
So what guidelines do you guys follow for passengers and gear? They must wear equal or more than you? Etc?

For the most part, I wear boots, jacket, gloves and helmet. My girlfriend loves to ride with me, but she is more old school and rode on cruisers previously. So the fact she only wears a helmet has me conflicted. Yes better than nothing but I feel not enough as well. Especially as this is my first bike and only 1200 miles under my belt. Of course I want to keep her safe, but also do not want to be "You must wear what I wear". I am comfortable with her as a passenger and confident for the most part, but again, I am a new rider.

In fact, lately I find I wear less gear when she goes with me out of guilt (i.e. just a helmet) if that makes any sense which I suppose is ironic thining in itself. LOL

I assume we also get weird looks from others. Not like I really care about that. But still. I brought up that I think she at least needs to get a jacket which she kind of acknowledges but doesn't seem too concerned.

#2 ·
Go watch some crash videos with her. Watch lots. That may help change her mind. Not wearing basic gear is a choice, but a stupid one. I am not going to lie, I have done it at one point or another. I'm sure most of us have at one point or another. But f I can help it, I would never allow my passenger to not wear a basic jacket, boots, gloves and helmet.

#3 ·
Look up Brittany Morrow. She started this after her accident as a passenger: http://www.rockthegear.org/

As for my passenger guidelines: never allowed on my bike without FULL gear (helmet, jacket, pants (and I don't mean just regular jeans/leggings), gloves and boots). If someone is on the back of my bike I'm responsible for their safety, and if we go down I'm not going to have it on my conscience that I let them sit back there without the proper gear. If someone doesn't like it, they don't get to sit on the back of my bike.

Here's an analogy: you get in my car, I wreck, you're not wearing your seatbelt, I'm at fault for your injuries...by law! Here they ticket both the driver and passenger for not wearing a seat belt. I don't wear my seatbelt because I'm afraid of getting a ticket; I wear it because I'll take all the safety I can get. My car doesn't move if my passengers aren't buckled up.

#8 · (Edited)
As a new rider myself, I can't imagine what's it like to carry another on the bike although I've been a pillion a few times and have caused all kind of nightmares (i.e. throwing the bike off balance by not leaning with the rider and not putting my arms around the rider cause I thought it was gay, instead using the seat strap which is not safe etc.). I'm more aware now being a rider myself on how difficult it must be to carry a pillion. Plus it must be fun when carrying a female pillion having a pair of airbags in your back every time you blip that throttle when their least expecting, using excuses such as "Oops sorry just getting used to the new bike" whilst chuckling with delight in your helmet, must be worth sacrificing the back protectors on those occasions or if you're Savagebasher who likes to ride naked with his helmet only even better lol :p

#12 ·
Appreciate all the feedback guys and definitely made me think more. Brittany's story is pretty amazing.. but I am also not a young kid going 120mph. LOL. But regardless, I suppose that is irrelevant. I am going to be stickler with my girl from now on and hopefully she respects me for that after the initial irritation :)

#14 ·
I require them to wear a helmet, and the rest is up to them.

#15 · (Edited)
The law in the country where I'm currently living and in the UK states it's statutory to wear a helmet for both rider's and pillion's. To say that you require them to wear one is not an option, you nor they decide. If the pillion says they don't need to wear one, they can walk and f*** off, end of story, it's simple as that.

I believe there is an exception in the law for Sikh's which states they don't need to wear a helmet due to their religion and turban's. So, unless the pillion changes their religion to Sikh and wears a turban the above message applies.

• Helpful
Reactions: enshiu
#19 ·
Not gonna lie, this is my left arm when I was pillion passenger at the time when we low sided.

I was ATGATT but, still the sleeve ripped back because, I had my ventilation holes open on my sleeves and caused a deep scrape wound. Now I know this I will leave my ventilation holes closed in the future.
Here is a low side on the grass at 25mph

Scar Nail Tints and shades Human leg Close-up

Joint Comfort Gesture Knee Finger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.