Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I tried GP shifting on my r3.

While in stop and go traffic with the clutch held in and in first the indicator while flash blank for about half a second.

Then while slowly rolling in 2nd I noticed the same thing when I held the clutch in.

I didn't notice any other gear did this. I also didn't notice if it did then when the clutch is released.

All the gears shift into and out of nicely so I don't think its a mechanical issue.

Did I forget to do something or do something wrong while changing to GP shift. All I did was flip the shifter linkage upsidedown, I have woodcraft rear sets for reference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I'm definitely in gear, because I can drive in first then come to a stop with the clutch in and It'll happen. The only reason I noticed it even is because I was in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
228 Posts
When you shift down in gears, pull the clutch and release for each gear shift. it sounds like you are pulling the clutch lever in and shifting all the way down and not releasing after each incremental down shift, hence why the display is blank not showing the gear you are in.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not sure how the gear position switch works, but at a hazard-a-guess the engine/clutch has a magnet or something which engages when a gear is selected which sends a signal to the gear position switch for it to display the selected gear or it'll be blank?

Anyone else shed some light on how this gear position mechanism works?

The gear position switch has 6 holes/wires which can be tested with a continuity meter (page 8-97) of the service manual.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine will blank a second in 1st sometimes. Release clutch and it pops up.
Yep.

You try this somewhere where the surface is flat:

1. Turn engine off with kill switch, put kickstand down
2. Pull clutch lever in and select Neutral, and get green "N" light on display
3. Release clutch lever
4. With the bike standing still on its stand, pull clutch lever in and kick gear lever down for 1st gear (You will notice that the gear position is blank on the display)
5. Release clutch lever
6. Try roll the bike forward a few millimeters (don't touch the clutch). You will hear or feel a faint click where the gear/clutch engages with the engine, you will notice that the gear position now shows "1"

This is how I've come to a conclusion that the gear position switch works using some sort of magnets which needs to be engaged before it shows which gear you are in. Most people are expecting the gear position switch to be analogue with some sort of push rod inside the gearbox when changes and updates the display instantly, this doesn't seem to be the case for the R3 hence why sometimes you get a blank gear position reading.

Unless someone else can come up with a better theory or an Yamaha engineer explain exactly how the gear position switch/indicator works to give these paranoid "blank" gear reading riders a piece of mind nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So while riding in 2nd my gear indicator was blanking, so I barely tapped on the shift level and it stayed solid. In 1st gear with the clutch in I still had the same issue. If I had to guess I would think you're correct with the magnet idea. It's never felt like my bike wasn't in gear while riding. Seems like it must just be a finicky sensor. I have tried rolling around with the bike off and noticed what you were saying about the gears engaging when you roll.

·
Registered
228 Posts
So while riding in 2nd my gear indicator was blanking, so I barely tapped on the shift level and it stayed solid. In 1st gear with the clutch in I still had the same issue. If I had to guess I would think you're correct with the magnet idea. It's never felt like my bike wasn't in gear while riding. Seems like it must just be a finicky sensor. I have tried rolling around with the bike off and noticed what you were saying about the gears engaging when you roll.
Have you checked the link rod which connects your left shift pedal to the shift nut on the gearbox?

Check that the angles you have for both ends are 90 degrees, if not then adjust the nuts accordingly by shortening or lengthening it at each end, then go for a test ride on a quiet road and see if you notice any difference and report back.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do you have aftermarket rearsets with a new gear shift link? or are you using the stock rearset with stock link? I suspect you might not be shifting fully for the gear sensor to sense the change. Check if your are getting a full throw from the shift. As YZFR3 mentioned check your angles too!

I have an aftermarket rearset, came with a longer linkage. Had to play around with it for a bit to get it right for GP shifting to shift fully. Dont forget to locktite the link and torque the nuts aswell, dont ask how I found out about that one haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts