Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems my sensor may have gone bad. I took it out recently and cleaned it and put it back in. It worked for a few hundred miles, so I thought that had solved the issue. Unfortunately, the problem came back. I have been having an intermittent failure whereby the gear position / neutral indicator (and neutral light) on the dash sometimes will not display the N for neutral. It's worse than just not seeing that on the dash, because the ECU also raises the engine idle speed by around 200 RPM when the light isn't working (when the bike is in neutral), because it "thinks" that the bike is in gear, presumably to counteract the effects of clutch drag, or something. Additionally, when the indicator fails to display neutral, the bike will not start with the kickstand down or the clutch lever released and will stall if the kickstand is put down (again, because it "thinks" the bike is in gear -- i.e. NOT in neutral, even though it actually is).

Side note: I am also planning to disable the side-stand "safety" switch feature, as to me, it seems like more of a hazard than something beneficial: if the kickstand spring were to break, for example, the stand falling could then stall the engine unexpectedly and potentially even cause a crash. I don't like that, so I'm going to bypass it. Even without the stand's spring breaking, I know that the spring is not strong enough to properly do its job: the stand is a bit loose and can flap around a bit over rough surfaces. I know from previous experience that the same issue on Suzuki's DRZ400 would cause the engine to cut out over rough terrain (worse in that instance due to that model being used off road). I don't need any of that nonsense LOL. In addition to disabling the sidestand engine cutoff switch, I plan on getting a stiffer spring or doing something similar to fix that issue.

Anyway, removing the gear position sensor's wiring was a bit of a PITA -- as a lot of things seem to be with all these **** sport bike plastics in the way of everything. I know, I know, I bought a sport bike (again...haha)... If anyone else has this problem or needs to remove the sensor, feel free to PM me if you have any trouble or anything.

Right now, I am waiting for my order to arrive (I also ordered a new o-ring and new mounting screws). Hopefully, the new part will not be back ordered from Japan for like six months (who knows, with the way things have been lately), and it will actually solve the problem for good so that I won't have to waste any more time with this stupid problem.

I really shouldn't be having this problem. It's practically a new bike still with under 8k miles on it. If the new part fixes it, I guess it won't be that bad, and to be fair, the part including the o-ring and screws plus shipping and tax totaled only $33. If a new unit does not fix the issue and/or the new unit soon fails, too... Well, that will be fast approaching the border between "sh** happens" and "totally unacceptable." We shall see.

Has anyone else here experienced this issue or anything similar? If so, did you fix it? How?

[EDIT: I will post updates below in this thread to note the success or failure of this repair]

·
Registered
482 Posts
It seems my sensor may have gone bad. I took it out recently and cleaned it and put it back in. It worked for a few hundred miles, so I thought that had solved the issue. Unfortunately, the problem came back. I have been having an intermittent failure whereby the gear position / neutral indicator (and neutral light) on the dash sometimes will not display the N for neutral. It's worse than just not seeing that on the dash, because the ECU also raises the engine idle speed by around 200 RPM when the light isn't working (when the bike is in neutral), because it "thinks" that the bike is in gear, presumably to counteract the effects of clutch drag, or something. Additionally, when the indicator fails to display neutral, the bike will not start with the kickstand down or the clutch lever released and will stall if the kickstand is put down (again, because it "thinks" the bike is in gear -- i.e. NOT in neutral, even though it actually is).

Side note: I am also planning to disable the side-stand "safety" switch feature, as to me, it seems like more of a hazard than something beneficial: if the kickstand spring were to break, for example, the stand falling could then stall the engine unexpectedly and potentially even cause a crash. I don't like that, so I'm going to bypass it. Even without the stand's spring breaking, I know that the spring is not strong enough to properly do its job: the stand is a bit loose and can flap around a bit over rough surfaces. I know from previous experience that the same issue on Suzuki's DRZ400 would cause the engine to cut out over rough terrain (worse in that instance due to that model being used off road). I don't need any of that nonsense LOL. In addition to disabling the sidestand engine cutoff switch, I plan on getting a stiffer spring or doing something similar to fix that issue.

Anyway, removing the gear position sensor's wiring was a bit of a PITA -- as a lot of things seem to be with all these **** sport bike plastics in the way of everything. I know, I know, I bought a sport bike (again...haha)... If anyone else has this problem or needs to remove the sensor, feel free to PM me if you have any trouble or anything.

Right now, I am waiting for my order to arrive (I also ordered a new o-ring and new mounting screws). Hopefully, the new part will not be back ordered from Japan for like six months (who knows, with the way things have been lately), and it will actually solve the problem for good so that I won't have to waste any more time with this stupid problem.

I really shouldn't be having this problem. It's practically a new bike still with under 8k miles on it. If the new part fixes it, I guess it won't be that bad, and to be fair, the part including the o-ring and screws plus shipping and tax totaled only $33. If a new unit does not fix the issue and/or the new unit soon fails, too... Well, that will be fast approaching the border between "sh** happens" and "totally unacceptable." We shall see.

Has anyone else here experienced this issue or anything similar? If so, did you fix it? How?
I'm pretty active on the FZ/MT-07 forum. I seem to remember a guy had this same thing happen on his FZ-07 (R3's & 07's share a surprising amount of electrical parts). He experienced the same thing you did. He pulled the sensor, and cleaned it with contact cleaner. I seem to remember him saying it worked for a few hundred miles, then acted up again. He replaced the sensor, and I think that was the end of it.

Not sure if you are aware of this, but Norton Motorsports make a safety switch by-pass plug. It makes life pretty clean/easy. My wife and I run them on our track bikes (kickstands are completely removed). Good Luck-

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty active on the FZ/MT-07 forum. I seem to remember a guy had this same thing happen on his FZ-07 (R3's & 07's share a surprising amount of electrical parts). He experienced the same thing you did. He pulled the sensor, and cleaned it with contact cleaner. I seem to remember him saying it worked for a few hundred miles, then acted up again. He replaced the sensor, and I think that was the end of it.

Not sure if you are aware of this, but Norton Motorsports make a safety switch by-pass plug. It makes life pretty clean/easy. My wife and I run them on our track bikes (kickstands are completely removed). Good Luck-
I saw a video of a guy who was trying to repair one; I can't remember if it was an R1 or an FZ07 or what. Anyway, that is good to know that the replacement apparently took care of it. Obviously, I am hoping for the same result.

Do you mean a bypass for the side-stand switch? If so, I would be interested in that.

Okay, so I did a search for it. Can you confirm that this is the part you were referring to?

Side Stand / Kickstand Bypass Plug (norton-motorsports.com)

Also, I found the one below (first, actually) and wondered if it is actually the exact same part. But anyway, it certainly seems like the one above is exactly what I'm looking for, so I will probably order it, but if you could confirm anyway, that would be cool. And if it is the exact part you have on your bikes, I assume that it has worked flawlessly on them, yes?

Kickstand Side Stand Bypass Plug Spears Enterprises-Spears Racing

·
Registered
482 Posts
I saw a video of a guy who was trying to repair one; I can't remember if it was an R1 or an FZ07 or what. Anyway, that is good to know that the replacement apparently took care of it. Obviously, I am hoping for the same result.

Do you mean a bypass for the side-stand switch? If so, I would be interested in that.

Okay, so I did a search for it. Can you confirm that this is the part you were referring to?

Side Stand / Kickstand Bypass Plug (norton-motorsports.com)

Also, I found the one below (first, actually) and wondered if it is actually the exact same part. But anyway, it certainly seems like the one above is exactly what I'm looking for, so I will probably order it, but if you could confirm anyway, that would be cool. And if it is the exact part you have on your bikes, I assume that it has worked flawlessly on them, yes?

Kickstand Side Stand Bypass Plug Spears Enterprises-Spears Racing

Yes, that is the part. You could also just cut the wires close the the kickstand plug, and twist them together and secure them with a wire nut..... Both will accomplish the same thing. I just didn't want to cut the wires off the kickstand (in case I want to sell it as a street bike someday). Hope that helps, good luck-

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that is the part. You could also just cut the wires close the the kickstand plug, and twist them together and secure them with a wire nut..... Both will accomplish the same thing. I just didn't want to cut the wires off the kickstand (in case I want to sell it as a street bike someday). Hope that helps, good luck-
Okay, thanks. I will go ahead and order it! And yea, if I hadn't found something like this, I would have ended up doing some dodgy electrical tape and/or wire nut mods LOL. I like the "clean" factor of doing it like this; it's worth $15.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Update 1: I just finished installing a new, OEM-Yamaha gear position sensor (with a new o-ring and mounting screws and purple Loctite -- correctly routed and zip-tied at appropriate points...all tidied up nicely) and a Norton Motorsports side stand safety switch bypass plug (and removed the original side stand safety switch and wiring).

So far (just sitting in the driveway), the bypass plug is working great (thanks again, cornerslider^^!), and the gear position sensor is doing its job. I will have to put around a thousand miles on the bike before I know if my problem with the neutral light is actually fixed, as it was somewhat intermittent. It's all good for now, but time will tell.

I am waiting for the Loctite to fully cure and plan to test ride the bike tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update 2: I rode the bike for about 20 minutes, including a gas stop. There have been no issues yet. I will try to remember to post another update if/when I make it another thousand miles without experiencing the issue again. Wish me luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts