Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, wanted to check with u guys. I wanted to purchase a r3 today, the bike seem OK but when i test ride the gear shifter was not straight and had wave on them. Does that mean it had an accident before? It made me hassitate to purchase it.
Sorry but newbie here.

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Welcome. You may want to verify the shape of the shifter on another R3... just to be sure how it's shaped. A mild drop could bend things, but you'd be more apt to see broken/cracked/scratched fairings and plastic covers.
I'm not sure what year you're looking at, so I pulled a schematic and parts list for a 2018 R3's. Part # 12 is the shifter.. with the other parts along with it. These part #s are Yamaha OEM, and will be the same through any reputable vendor.
Maybe this will help determine how much cost will be involved if you decide to start replacing parts. Good Luck.
Yamaha OEM Motorcycle Parts | MotoSport

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Airhead83, thanks for ur kind reply, it looks nothing like the weblink u send.
When you look from seating position, I see that it is like a 2 wave on them, it look out of shape, that why I was very sceptical. However the engine was smooth thru and thru.
So I guess I will need to search for another.
I don't want to buy something that is smash.

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
If you decide to buy it and replace the shifter... it's about $31 US. Not bad if everything else is up to your expectations.(y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a look at my shifter and it has a wave also...

My shifter looks exactly like the one in this video, with a "wave":

It's clearly not straight, even in the parts diagram.
I echo what's said above...I don't think you have to worry.

If it's visibly bent like these photos, you would have seen other damages.

or

or

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I first got my R3, I had accidently tipped it over when parking up - luckily it was only on grass. As I wasn't moving when it tipped, the only damage was identical to the image @mister-r3 posted above. It would not shift properly at all like that.

Funnily enough, I replaced it with the same lever in the Youtube video from his post as well 😂

It feels much better than stock and is a lot more sturdy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mister r3, thank you for those pictures, it actually is very clear. The shifter looks like the last picture u post. But more waves and some strange indentation. I try to changed gear, it was ok but not perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts